You added Fairfield Inn New York Long Island City/Manhattan View to your Saves list
Fairfield Inn New York Long Island City/Manhattan View
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Thibodaux, Louisiana
“Good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I was having a difficult time finding a room in or near Manhattan that would accomodate a family of four and not break the budget. The Fairfield Inn in Long Island City is right across the river from Manhattan and you have a great view of the Manhattan skyline if you are high enough. There are 12 floors and we were on the 11th floor. You can see the WTC, Empire State building, Chrysler Building, all the well known landmarks. The closest Metro station is a mile away, but there is free shuttle service that leaves the hotel every half hour that will take you there. We used it several times during our three-day stay. It was very simple to use and quite handy. It will also bring you back to the hotel and if the shuttle is not there when you exit the Metro, you can call the hotel and they will send someone to get you. The latest shuttle run back to the hotel at night is 10:45, but if you want to stay out late, cab fare for four people including a tip was only $10, so not a big deal. The staff was very friendly and helpful. There was breakfast in the morning that was simple, but a nice selection. The first night we were there, someone on the third floor flooded their room and it went all the way down to the ground floor into the breakfast area. The hotel made alternate arrangements to still provide breakfast, which I thought was great. The only drawback I could offer about this property is the parking situation. If you have a car to park, the parking area has maybe a dozen spaces. I think it helped that we arrived there mid-week and used public transportation for the rest of our stay, so that way we never lost our parking space. This was our first trip to NYC and we hope to go back again soon. We will definitely use this hotel again if there is availabiltiy.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Fairfield Inn L, Director of Sales at Fairfield Inn New York Long Island City/Manhattan View, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review. We are glad to learn that you had a wonderful stay with us and that you were able to take advantage of our shuttle services and enjoy the breakfast amenity as well. We hope to have you staying with us in your next trip to NYC.
Director of Sales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Turkish first
Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I had 2 stays in this hotel in June. During the first stay the check-in was polite but more courteous compared to the check-in of the second stay. About neither may I say something bad.

The service remained friendly and attentive for the remainder of the stay. An example of the helpfulness of the hotel: I got to borrow an adapter for my stay and even the days in between my stays as I forgot mine.

The walk to the subway 7 station on 33 street will take you approximately 15 minutes. Another 5 minutes further is the area were most restaurants are. The hotel operates a shuttle every 30 minutes that heads to the subway station but the driver will drop you off at the restaurants if you ask him.

Not all rooms are equal. I stayed in room 510 & 907. Second room is bigger. First one is facing Van Dam str. Second one looks onto the highway.
You have some noise in the room but not to such extent that it should stop you from sleeping. (I have yet to find a hotel in NYC without street noise)

Location: you have to decide for yourself. You should know this hotel is not where the action is so you have to consider if you go for price or for location. NY has a very good subway system though. From the moment you take the shuttle in the hotel to times square is approx. 30 mins.

For the price conscious traveler this is no doubt a very good option without having to compromise on quality or service! I might not take this hotel if it would be my first time in NY and you need every minute to enjoy the action.

Special note to Marriott Rewards Elite members:
I had this exceptional experience: I received a welcome elite package as a low silver in a hotel in NYC! This hotel seems to treat elites better than the other marriott hotels in NY. It may be a reason to consider this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms ending on 10 might be smaller than others.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience during your stay at our property. We certainly appreciate your time to write a review to future guests and specially to the Marriott Rewards member which we are always encouring our guests (current and new members) to take advantage of our amenities. We hope to see you again in a near future.

Lancaster,PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

We have stayed at this location at least ten times over the last several years when visiting family in the Greenpoint area of Brooklyn. The room rates have been consistently reasonable , the rooms are always clean and comfortable, and most importantly, the staff has always been very helpful. The parking can be a challenge, and the staff realizes this. They have always assisted us if there has been a need for finding a spot, especially during a late check-in.
There is little ambiance in the surrounding area, with a movie studio across the street, and the hotel being situated in an industrial area. If you're looking for a well run hotel at a reasonable cost near the city, this a good place to rest your head.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Oak Park
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I decided to try this because I felt like not paying $300 for a room in Manhattan, I am a Marriott member, and I don't mind negotiating public transit.
As I flew into LGA and talked to all the people who were simply going into Manhattan, I was getting skeptical about my decision, but what the heck. Just to keep up the adventurous part, I decided to try to get there using public bus and then the 7 subway. It worked, but the 7 on a Saturday when the Flushing line is under construction involves some massive crowding. By the time I got to the stop, I was beat, but was going to walk to the hotel. By coincidence, the van was there, so we just jumped on that and got ride with helpful driver. I asked him if it was safe to do it on foot at night, since the shuttle only runs till 10:45, and he assured me it was, even though it is a gritty-looking area. That turned out to be true.
Hotel is a nice property. The room was small by the Midwest Fairfield standards I am used to, but it was a nice modern clean room. It's true that if you have a higher room on Manhattan side you get a nice view of NY. They serve a nice breakfast, but the dining room gets overtaxed by the crowd, since this is a fairly large hotel for a Fairfield.
I found getting to Manhattan easy: I walked to the 7, and then walked back that night toward midnight and felt safe. Area is desolate, but lots of car traffic. The train ride is maybe 20 minutes to Grand Central.
One item with the room: TV is a nice new flat screen, but that doesn't help much with a limited channel selection and truly bad signal quality. Hotels in general need to work on this.
Wifi was free and was actually easy to get into and worked well!
There really is only one restaurant within short walking distance, and it is just an Irish pub, but they will take you on the shuttle to a number of others in LICity if you aren't going into NY and want to dine around there.
Verdict: If you don't have to stay in Manhattan, but want access, this might be for you.

Room Tip: If they give you a high one on the Manhattan side, that is where the views are.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We appreciate the tips from you to future guests. Glad to hear that you had a great overall experience staying with us and you were able to take advantage of our amenities (complimentary internet; shuttle service and daily breakfast). Please do come back and stay with us again in your next visit to NYC.

Orangeville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

We were very pleasantly surprised by the excellent service, great buffet breakfast and clean comfortable room for a very reasonable price. The room was quiet, spotlessly clean and had a very comfortable bed. I don't think I have ever slept so well in a hotel. I average about 30 nights in hotels per year, so that means lots of different beds! The heating/air-conditioning was quiet and responded well to the thermostat, which is very important to me as I hate hot rooms. Breakfast consisted of hot and cold cereals, yogurt, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, toast, bagels, muffins, fruit, hard boiled eggs, waffles, dairy and soy milk, juice, tea, hot chocolate and coffee.I found it easy to work around dairy and gluten restrictions. The subway station is about a 15 minute walk away, but a free shuttle runs back and forth every half hour, which we found very convenient. Times Square was only about 10 minutes away on the subway. The only reason I might not stay here next time is because there are 66 steps to walk UP to get to the subway platform. With my arthritic hips and knees I found it a painful start to a day of walking around the city. However, if you are okay with stairs, and are looking for a clean, safe, place offering wonderful value, I strongly recommend Fairfield Inn New York Long Island City/Manhattan View.

Room Tip: We asked for, and got, a Manhattan view room. It was nice to see the city lights.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Timonium, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights in May and had a wonderful experience. Everyone from the front desk to the shuttle driver was very helpful and assisted us with any questions or needs. The room was clean, plenty of towels, and we enjoyed using the patio once the wind died down! The shuttle took us not only to the local subway stop for the short ride into Manhattan but also to a local restaurant for a carry-out dinner and to a local nail salon for a manicure! The hotel is located in an industrial neighborhood with few people on the streets. During the week there is heavy traffic but on the weekend it was much slower. View of Manhattan as promised!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing the Fairfield Inn by Marriott in Long Island City (Manhattan view). We are glad that you were able to take advantage of our free shuttle to the subway station, local restaurants and nail salon.Sounds like you had a great time in NYC. Thank you for your review, and We look forward to serving you again in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

We moved to this hotel after an awful experience at another Queens hotel.We were received with open arms and a big welcome from the excellent reception staff.Even though we were very early after escaping from that other place a room was available for us immediately.So nice to be shown a beautiful room with all the comforts we expect from a Hotel.The lobby has a coffee dock with hot drinks all day .The breakfast buffet was excellent with a wide choice of food and drinks.I really cant fault this property.The shuttle driver went out of his way to drop us at a location in Long Island City..Nearby we found a Pub called the Blarney stone filled with local characters and serving excellent food.I would stay here again when i return to NY.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Fairfield Inn New York Long Island City/Manhattan View? Share your experiences!