“Excellent hotel with easy access to Manhattan for a very reasonable price!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fairfield Inn New York Long Island City/Manhattan View

You added Fairfield Inn New York Long Island City/Manhattan View to your Saves list
Fairfield Inn New York Long Island City/Manhattan View
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   52-34 Van Dam Street, Long Island City, NY 11101   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Double Rewards Points!
Ranked #14 of 26 Hotels in Long Island City
New Hampshire
“Excellent hotel with easy access to Manhattan for a very reasonable price!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I stayed at The Fairfield Inn, Van Dam Street in Long Island City with my daughter for four nights in January 2013 where we went to Manhattan to see a Broadway show, shop all through the city (downtown/midtown/etc), go to MOMA, etc and we both had a great time! This hotel is a very comfortable and affordable way to visit NYC (either for business or pleasure). The hotel is new and in great condition. The room size, although small, is actually larger than you would find in most hotels in NYC. The staff is very attentive and was very helpful offering information on transportation and answering any questions. The breakfast is free and available until 10:30 weekdays and 11am weekends (which is quite exceptional compared to other hotels). The hotel was also very quiet (inside and outside) at night which is not what you would typically find when staying at a NYC hotel. What more can you want?

The neighborhood surrounding this hotel is industrial so don't plan on local sightseeing. However, the free hotel shuttle can take you to a selection of nearby restaurants or can suggest food delivery options if you don't choose to eat in Manhattan. Keep in mind that the main attraction IS Manhattan and you have easy access to a local subway via the free hotel shuttle which runs every half hour (you can also call to be picked up from the subway) until 10:45pm. Remember to take the local train (Green circle 7 train) when you return from NYC to the 33rd St/Rawson station. After 10:45 pm when the hotel shuttle stops running, you can take a yellow taxi from NYC to the hotel for about $20 (depending on where you are in Manhattan--$20 is the fare depending on traffic, from Times Square to the hotel). If you tell the cab driver to take the Queeensboro/59th Street bridge to Van Dam Street in LIC), you avoid a toll on the Queens Midtown tunnel out of the city. If the cab driver isn't familiar with the area around the hotel, tell him to follow the signs from the Queensboro/59th Street bridge to the L.I.E. which will to lead you to Van Dam Street---the hotel is on Van Dam Street on the right, just a few blocks past the exit to get on the L.I.E.--- you don't get on the L.I.E., you only follow the signs to take you from the bridge to Van Dam Street.

Parking is FREE at this hotel---so if you are bringing a car, this is a huge savings! The reason why parking is free is because hotel lot parking is very limited. The outside parking lot at the hotel is small and there are some underground parking spots under the hotel. There is free street parking just outside the hotel. The neighborhood, although industrial, is well lit and safe. There is plenty of street parking available within a block of the hotel. If you can't get a parking spot in the lot adjacent to the hotel when you arrive, check the following morning. I was able to get a spot in the parking lot next to the hotel the following morning and noted that each subsequent morning additional spots opened up. Considering what you pay just to park your car in Manhattan at a hotel ($50-70 a day!), you can go to a Broadway show, do some shopping or have a very nice dinner with the money you save on parking.

Regarding other reviews of this hotel indicating some "negative" issues: The wireless internet service was spotty (we stayed on the 8th floor with a great night view of Manhattan). However, there is WiFi in the lobby. In addition, the computers in the lobby were equipped with printers and were very useful. A few travelers mentioned problems with the shuttle or crowded breakfast room which I believe to be the "exception"---the same thing can happen at a Manhattan hotel during busy season. I remember staying a Manhattan hotel and needing to wait 15 minutes every time I took the elevator and finding no seating in the small Manhattan breakfast room. So realize you are paying considerably more and may still be inconvenienced when staying in a Manhattan hotel! If you read the reviews on this hotel and have realistic expectations on what this hotel has to offer vs. staying at a Manhattan hotel, you can easily see that unless money is no object (and you are willing to pay A LOT more money for the convenience to stay in Manhattan), the Fairfield Inn Van Dam Street, LIC is a great way to visit Manhattan.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor facing NYC to get a great view of the city at night.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Turkish first
Petoskey, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We LOVED this hotel. We even stayed an additional night, cause we couldn't bring ourselves to leave haha!

The staff was great, very helpful, room was always clean and in excellent condition.

They have a free shuttle so getting on and off the Purple 7 CIRCLE subway back to the hotel is super easy.

The breakfast was amazing every morning-I liked the sausage, eggs, and blueberry muffins. My boyfriend couldn't get enough of their waffles =)

Also I read some old reviews of bedbugs-so was first thing I checked-happy to report ABSOLUTELY NO BEDBUGS-believe me, I checked like it was my job haha

One suggestion-would like heavier blankets =) Also there was a draft coming from windows (especially bathroom window) we had the heat set at 74, but was still quite cold by windows.

We are definitely staying here next time we visit New York City!!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in 414 and it was wonderful.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Swoyersville, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

The hotel, and in particular the wonderful staff (VERY, VERY helpful and NOT with their hand out, the Front Officer supervisor Anastasia in particular). (Free) Breakfast was fine, usual Marriott quality. Room a bit small but comfortable.

If you are being picked up or local to hotel (or willing to drive in NY), this is an excellent value. I was there for a Broadway show and they had a very good price. However, I had hoped to use mass transit to get into Manhattan, but the time required made using a cab far better. However, then I discovered you can't call a cab (not radio dispatched in that area) and rare to cruise by. The hotel will (quickly and easily) arrange a car, but then you pay for the car and bridge tolls which are about $10 each way more than the cab I took back. I also found these drivers did NOT know Manhattan (not even Broadway theaters).

Still an outstanding visit.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Modiin, Israel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I stayed one night with my 2 girls after a show in NY and before a flight from JFK.
Location is in the middle of an industrial area but the shuttle will take you to any of 10 restaurants for free. We ended up ordering take away to the hotel lobby and it was good. Breakfast was a bit of a mess since the hotel was full I guess so we had to wait about 10-15 min for a table and no one from the staff was there to organize it so people kind of jumped on each other. There was one lady there but she just stop with her back to the people texting on her phone.... We sat at a dirty table but the actual food was nice, I guess if we came earlier it might have been less crowded.
The rooms where very small, we had a room with 2 double beds (not queens) and there was no room to get into the beds from the side of the wall. Bathroom and shower were OK and clean.
View on NY is Nice from the room but the window was so dirty that we needed to open it to take a picture (it was a freezing 29 Fahrenheit outside)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

The hotel is a nice compromise of being close to Manhattan and not paying too much. The property is new and clean, staff very friendly. We came late and the guard walked around hotel with us and showed the space to park the car. Beds comfy. Wifi in the room not fast enough to watch movies but adequate to check e-mail or the maps/web sites. Standard breakfast buffet (eggs, bacon or sausage, pancakes of waffle, yogurt, cream cheese, cereal etc). Breakfast zone could be busy around 8:30 am with no seats available. Shuttle takes you to subway station 33rd St on line 7 every 30 minutes and on the way back - you have to call for pick up. However, there is no shuttle after 10:30 pm so if you see a Broadway show, you have to walk in an unpleasant area the hotel is located. Fridge in a room would be a nice and necessary touch for us to use their services again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

While I agree the location isn't the greatest..and a little bit scary to be walking back from the subway late at night, the friendly staff, super clean rooms and awesome view more than make up for it. I'd rather stay outside the hustle and bustle of manhattan to get a good nights sleep and then take a 15 minute subway ride into the city for the day.

We stayed there for 4 nights, the breakfast had a lot of variety, alternating between pancakes and waffles each day. Lots of fresh fruit, breads, yogurts and beverages to choose from.

The shuttle to and from the subway worked great for us. Never had to wait more than 5 minutes to be picked up from either the hotel or the subway.

All in all it was a wonderful stay with absolutely NO complaints. A lot of hotels could learn a thing or two from this place!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

This is my third visit to this property. As a Marriott platinum elite member, I know what this property should be like. It is NOT. Very limited parking for cars and if you have a bus forget about this hotel. Parking is three blocks away and not very secure (when I asked the hotel employee how secure it was, he laughed). This hotel has no in room WiFi. I was informed I could use the data cable haphazardly flung around the lamp. Sure...where does that go on my iPad again? The area around this hotel...sucks. Heavy industrial (think semi traffic starting at 4 am). No food in the area except a small little breakfast doughnut shop. My first stay here the front desk personnel were the worst I've ever had. The second year they were stellar, but they have both since moved up and away. This year when I told the man that I have always parked my motor-coach by using the hotel vans to hold my space. The guy told me "well that was the past two years, not now" I called down to the desk to ask if my premium Internet (for my laptop using a wired connection) was complimentary as a platinum elite member (keep in mind this service is $28 a week) and was informed that the standard Internet was free and had the same download speeds as the paid, sounds like a scam to me. I personally occupied room 911, a handicap room. Sub-par. The handicap shower had no lip on the floor and flooded the entire floor, the vent on the ceiling fell down, and the Internet and phone lines are just haphazardly wired together next to the bed . after one night , I was switched to room 203 MUCH better and picks up the lobby WiFi (however only one bar) , but when I arrived into my new room after they moved my luggage for me, I found my room empty. It was in room 805!!! Luckily the people occupying that room were part of my group so nothing was wrong with my luggage. In short, I, my company, or the 45+ people we bring with us a year will NEVER stay here again. Two bad experiences is enough for this traveler.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business