“Very Nice Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 23 Hotels in Long Island City
New Jersey
“Very Nice Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2009

I just got back from staying at this hotel and I must say I really enjoyed it. We had a Superior Guestroom which comes with a King bed, deep soaking tub, balcony, and glass shower. I have the say the pics are exactly like the rooms. The hotel staff was very nice and helpful. The only problem was the location. It was difficult finding a cab to come to long island and wasn't really in walking distance to Manhattan, which is where we needed to be. The hotel does has a cab service which is a flat fee of $25.00. Otherwise my experience here was great and I would definitely come back.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
St. Petersburg, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2009

I've stayed at Ravel Hotel a few times while on business in the NYC area (October 2008 for 12 days and March 2009 for five days were the most recent stays). I am a big fan. There were a few kinks the first go around as the elevator was very slow and noisy (I never got stuck though), but I'm happy to say that everything was great the second go around (the elevator is still slow, but quiet).

The staff is extremely helpful, courteous, and accommodating. The bar is up to par (credit card machine works just fine). The rooms are large (King or queen riverview rooms, and the suites) with everything working just fine. They are very modern with super comfy beds and open floor plans, and I love the location. It's not in the thick of all the hustle and bustle of Manhattan, but only one train stop away when you want it.

The hotel is blocks away from the Queensbridge Station (two blocks), the Queensboro Station (four blocks), as well as the Queens Plaza Station(about five blocks). I am a single female that travels alone to NYC and I felt comfortable walking to and from the train stations--even at night. The alternative to walking back is to jump in any one of the numerous cabs that are constantly in the area (you can easily catch one on 21st Street). There is also a fantastic 24 hour diner (Bel Aire Diner) minutes away that delivers!! The hotel staff will also drop you off and pick you up for a nominal fee (at least they did this for me). I've also had no problems getting car service or cab service from the hotel. The staff is always willing to call either or for me and have always been willing to help out with any of my requests.

I travel to the NYC area about four times a year on business, and Ravel Hotel is my new home away from home. And from someone that is a Marriott or W kind of girl who is quite particular about her hotel room , that says a lot. If you try Ravel Hotel, you won't be sorry. I certainly wasn't despite a negative review that I read. It's a great value and moderately priced for a New York City Hotel. This is one positive review that you can trust.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
new york
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2009

i made reservations to stay here with my partner at the ravel for valentines day and i had booked the penthouse suite. I arrived there on time for check in and after an hour wait they couldnt find my reservations in their computer.The owner ravi had no experience in the hotel business, instead of him telling me that they screwed up he didnt say anything and instead gave me the cheapest room for the price i had paid for the penthouse.And not to forget it took this hotel 2 weeks to refund my credit card. i would never recommend this hotel unless you want your reservations to be screwed up and also your valentines day just like mine !! Thank you RAVEL for your poor poor service.

Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2009

This was my first time staying in a "boutique hotel" and the rooms were exactly how it was on the website. The staff were EXTREMELY friendly and accommodating and if we needed something, they would bring it to us right away, no extreme waiting times. We needed to take the shuttle (a nice Cadillac SUV) to the subway stations for $5 per trip (per room) and it was well worth it because they also picked us up from the station (within their time frame) in less than 5 minutes. The walk is a little far if you're in a hurry but other than that, it's a straight shot walk to the station. Nothing like a good walk in NYC. Also, I stayed in the Deluxe Queen room with my boyfriend and it was so romantic. Glass doors covered the shower and the toilet (there was a nice bathtub in the same area as well) and a wall separated the bed, couch, desk, fridge, and huge plasma TV. The sheets were EXTREMELY soft and clean not to mention the towels were large and replenished everyday as well. We weren't able to go up to the terrace because we were in such a hurry during our trip. We got a great deal on the hotel ($125 per night not including minimal taxes) so our stay there was DEFINITELY WORTH the subway rides and walking to and from Long Island City to Manhatten. There isn't a real "restaurant" in the hotel but they did have a cafe that served various things throughout the day and they also had different things you could buy out of vending machines...but I personally wanted to just get food in the city! Overall, an awesome hotel with an awesome staff. I would DEFINITELY stay at the Ravel again!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2008

We were there for a conference and stayed in a king bed room on the 1st floor. Very nice and clean room. Big flat screen TV and while we did look at the boarded up building other complain about, when I walked into LIC with my two year old and talked to some of the old timers at a diner they told me that this house has an increadible history including having most of the original interiors from France and if you look at it closely after knowing that, you see an interesting house that inexplicably has fallen on hard times.

The view from our room was ok and from the roof , fabulous. From reading other descriptions, it seems the layouts differ quite a bit.. In ours the toilet and shower had glass doors, but it was very open with the sink and soaking tub unenclosed which allows you to listen to the TV and talk to others in the room. Great for a husband, wife and toddler, but I agree, not for a business share.

Hotel is waiting for the liquor license, but once they have it, two or three drinks on the 6th floor in the summer will be to die for. They also need a restaurant, I think that is in the works for the future since all they have now is a bare bones snack shop. However, we ordered in most nights and since it is NY, we had excellent choices and prices so reasonable compared to downtown Chicago where we live, I was quite happy.
Staff is extremely accommodating and friendly.

This is not a hotel for people that are above walking a few blocks. It is true, there are projects two blocks north that invoke thoughts of the movie "Warriors", but during the day, the park along the river is beautiful and the seven or eight block south to the restaurants and shops of LIC will be good for you and if you talk to people you will find out why people consider the neighborhoods of Queens some of the nicet places in the country. I lived in Manhattan for a year and stayed in many Manhattan hotels over the years and the price is half or less what a comparable room in Manhattan would cost, so enjoy the culture.

• Liked — Great room and view
  • Disliked — No restaurant yet.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Leeds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2008

I was totally hooked by this “boutique” hotels website and booked a King Penthouse River View for 2 nights.

The hotels location is in a terrible area which makes you feel very vulnerable and unsafe. The only options you have of getting into the city is being dropped of at the closest subway station for a $5 fee or driven into the city for a fixed $25 fee by the hotels car.

As we arrived, other guests, who were leaving were making complaints at the reception desk and we were taken to our ‘king penthouse’ room which was a major let down. The room was dirty, the fixtures and fittings were cheap and had been badly fitted.

The price to stay in the hotel was high and by the time you finish paying for car shuttles, taxis and subway tickets it actually makes more sense to book a hotel in the city.

I really couldn’t wait to leave after our 2 nights and I would never come back to this hotel again.

• Liked — nothing at all.
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
LIC, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2008

Bare bones room for Fifth Ave prices.
Industrial district that has run down.
No entertainment within walking distance, if you dare to go for a walk.
Have been in better hotels at more affordable prices.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Ravel Hotel? Share your experiences!