“Great Place, View and Staff. Excellent value too.” 5 of 5 stars

Ravel Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8-08 Queens Plaza South, Long Island City, NY 11101   |
Ranked #17 of 24 Hotels in Long Island City
Minneapolis
“Great Place, View and Staff. Excellent value too.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2008

We stayed in a king bed room on the 5th floor. Very nice and clean room. Big flat screen TV, a really awesome view in the background on midtown Manhetten. Foreground is nothing special — boarded up house, vacant parking lot, but who looks at that anyway.
If you stay on the 5th floor, you have to be ok with the fancy bathroom setup — it has no walls, just plastic sliding room dividers and glass doors is all that separates the bathroom and shower from the living area. If you like a conventional one, get a room on one of the lower floors. But we didn't mind it. It has a separate bath and shower which is nice as well.
Hotel does not serve liquor for the most part, so if you would like to enjoy a drink on their roof with a spectacular view, bring it with.
Staff is extremely accommodating and friendly, I couldn't get into my room one of the nights and they let me sleep in a different one.
This is not a hotel for people that like to do stuff near where they stay. There's nothing around it, it's in a run down area. But who wants to hang out in queens anyway? I came to spend time in Manhatten, so i couldn't care less if there are coffee shops around my hotel or not.
You can get a $5 ride to a subway station from the hotel staff, $25 car service to pretty much anywhere in the city, or you can walk about 8 blocks to that station, or 4 blocks to 21st st where you can easily flag down a cab. A cab ride to most of the Manhatten will be about $10. When you take a cab back, make sure you can give the cabbie directions — Queensboro bridge UPPER level to 21st street exit. Right on 2st st. A left right away at the gas station onto Queensboro Plaza. Hotel is at the end of the street by Vernon blvd.

I got exactly what i expected — a quality hotel for the price of an Inn in Manhatten.

• Liked — Most everything
  • Disliked — Transportation, location.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Las Vegas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2008

I was so excited to visit NY for the first time... I did my research for the best hote on the web and found Ravel Hotel and fell inlove with the pics and called the hotel directly... I booked it as soon as i heard more great things about the place - being new and close to the subway and a few miles from the NY City... As we arrived at the place i fell in love witht he place it was "CUTE AND CLASSY"... very clean, very contemporary style and has a nice flat screen tv and the most of all was the view of the Queensbridge.... It was fantastic.... The people are courteous and i like that, great customer service... very friendsly... I will only stay at this hotel everytime i go back to NY and we are planning to go back next year... love my hotel and enjoyed my trip... fantastic....
VERONICA AND TIM
LAS VEGAS

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — cant think one
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2008

Upsides: comfortable, clean, and new

Downsides:
1. Not the best location for tourists. Only a 10 minute cab ride from Midtown or a 10 minute walk to the nearest subway station, but there is absolutely NOTHING around the hotel in the ways of food or things to do.
2. We stayed on the first floor (on a budget), and the windows did not lock. There was a scant barricade outside, but it still made me a bit uneasy. We told the hotel staff, who offered to change our room but couldn't because the hotel was booked. Instead of giving us a discount or something, anything at all, he merely offered to pull down the shades. Not great in terms of service. So if you care about having a view, avoid the first floor completely.
3. Instead of being placed directly across from the bed, the TV which was mounted on the wall was about 3 feet to the left. Weird.

Overall, it's a decent hotel for the price, but they definitely have things to improve on.

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — location, staff
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2008

I honestly have nothing negative to say about the Ravel Hotel. My fiance and I arrived an hour early and we were able to check into our room. It was very spacious and clean. We even had a balacony, not that the view was great, but it was still cool. I loved the style and colors of the hotel, very modern! The staff was friendly and responded fast to our needs. The only drawback about this hotel is the location to the subway station. It is about a 10 minute walk. The area is not bad to walk in during the day, but I wouldn't do it at night. The hotel offers a shuttle serice to the subway station for $5. They are quick to pick you up at the station. The hotel has a great rooftop view looking to Manhattan. There is not much to see or do around the hotel, but it is only 1 subway stop to Manhattan! The cab drivers often have difficulty finding the hotel since it is new, but if you pick up a Ravel Hotel business card at the front desk there are easy directions for cab drivers. Its best to just tell the cab driver Vernon and Queensplaza South and the hotel is on the corner. Overall, this is the nicest hotel I have stayed in while visiting NYC. If you don't mind the walk or $5 to the subway station then I would definately stay here!

• Liked — Comfortable bed, spacious room, and great service
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2008

We didn't know what to expect from this hotel. We were very pleased as the staff was very friendly and helpful. The hotel is is situated in an industrial area where there is nothing. However what do you need as you will spend your time in town. The taxi from uptown and midtown to the hotel in the evening will cost between 7 to 12 $. The subway is about 8 to 10 min , walking distance, about 8 blocks from the hotel.
The only issue with the hotel is the noise from the industries and the bridge, however the view is great from the 5th floor. The hotel need to invest in good double glazing.
You can find yellow cabs from the street on the lefthand side.
I think it's still a good, cheap and decent not far from the town.
Enjoy New-york. We loved it.

• Liked — Friendly staff, great view, big rooms
  • Disliked — Noise from industries and bridge around
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Astoria, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2008

When my family came to visit, we had a difficult time searching for a hotel near my apt in Astoria and close to Manhattan. When we found the Ravel Hotel, we were hesitant due to the reviews written on this site. However, we were pleasantly surprised to find that this hotel has not only affordable rooms, but a posh and classy atmosphere that some Manhattan hotels lack. The young, hip staff were nothing but accomodating the entire time. And the shuttle was very helpful. For a few dollars, the 15 minute walk to the subway was only a 5min. ride in one of the most beautiful vehichles available today. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a nice room and NY experience at an affordable rate. For those not familiar with NYC, note that you will not be within walking distance of Times Square. But a brief subway ride can get you there in 15-20 minutes. I enjoyed visiting this hotel very much.

• Liked — The beautiful atmosphere!!!!!
  • Disliked — Still new so elevator is a bit unpredictable and still working on certain areas.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Wilmington, DE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2008

I stayed at the Ravel three weeks ago looking for a cheaper alternative to Manhattan. While the hotel was definitely cheaper I would've rather in hindsight payed the extra and stayed in Manhattan. The area is very sketch and not good to walk around in (there isnt anything around the hotel anyways except industrial space) and my room was dirty. I was dissapointed especially since this hotel just opened. On my next trip I will stay in Manhattan or another Long Island City Hotel.

Stayed May 2008

Been to Ravel Hotel? Share your experiences!