“Snow Storm Fun” 3 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8-08 Queens Plaza South, Long Island City, NY 11101   |
Ranked #17 of 23 hotels in Long Island City
“Snow Storm Fun”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

I work in the area and lots of productions put their crew members here during bad weather. Friendly staff, clean room and comfy bed. I give them 3 stars because the kitchen/bar was closed due to the weather. I understand during a storm its difficult to get people in safely but when you book a block of rooms they should have given us the courtesy to let us know that there is no food on site so people can make other arrangements if they choose. The two delivery options they were given people where horrible.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

533 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

I'm afraid to say that after a great month travelling the East Coast of America, and staying at around 15 different hotels this was my worst experience of the lot.

We booked here because we were flying out the following evening on the red eye back to the UK and wanted a hotel with parking and away from the main hustle and bustle of the Big Apple! What actually happened was that they gave me a hotel with a view of the car park, so I asked reception if they were bust unto which they replied that they were only at half capacity. I asked then if I could change room for one overlooking the city, from which they replied 'there was no service staff to take care of our room now'. Bere in mind we had only dumped our bags in the room they gave us at this point! Alas, this I could of lived with, but we were hoping for a lay in as we were flying out at seven thirty that evening. What we got was rudely woking at seven thirty AM buy the building site next door, of which I will upload photos.

Another major concern was the hold of $150 on my card for the one night stay. This was the most taken by any hotel during our stay. We stayed at the Milford in Times Square for 5 nights during New Years and they did not even take such a high hold on my card!

So to surmise, Please look elsewhere. The staff here was not interested in our stay and on check out we were never asked how our stay was, so rather than cause more stress to my holiday I let my concerns be.

Room Tip: I would request one overlooking the city on one of the top floors. But my guess is you will be given...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Gerald R, Front Office Manager at Ravel Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
We apologize if your stay wasn't everything you desired. We have a variety of rooms throughout the hotel, some more economical than others. Unfortunately the room you choose was our most economical room. These rooms although comfortable, do not offer views of the NYC. We try to emphasize the differences of our rooms in the room descriptions area of our website to better educate our guest. For those guests who choose to spend a little extra for a much larger room and spectacular views of NYC then we suggest you choose our Superior or Penthouse Rooms. They are very spacious and come with balconies that overlook the Manhattan skyline.
We apologize if you felt our $150 hold was a bit excessive for your stay. We offer array of amenities which we offer our guest which require payment such as our restaurant, mini bar and pay per view moves. We take the $150 deposit so that the guest can apply these charges to their room and pay on one final bill. Whatever balance is not used is returned to the guest at the time of checkout. As a sign of goodwill we would like to extend a special invitation for you to come back stay with us so that we can ensure that your next stay is exquisite. Simply contact our office and management will take care of it personally.

Sincerely

Gerald Rijo
Front Office Manager
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

The hotel is clean with many updates, but many updates are still needed to make it a true boutique hotel, especially in the rooms. Location is a 1/2 mile (1 kilometer) from the closest subway. Situated among warehouses, but with a great view of the 59th street bridge and Manhattan. Being from NYC, it's not a dangerous neighborhood, it's not really a neighborhood...it's warehouses, tech schools, garages, etc. Closest bodega/ convenience store is 8 city blocks away. This part of LIC is on the upswing, but don't expect anything much within walking distance. At night, there is very little foot traffic. But, after you get on the subway, you are only one stop from 59th street and Lexington Avenue. So, for this reason alone, the Ravel presents itself as a viable hotel. Cleanliness and price are the strong points. A shuttle van is available to take you to the subway. A hotel in Manhattan equal to the Ravel would cost at least $150 - $200 a night, so if you are willing to walk to the subway each day, it presents as a bargain.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Gerald R, Manager at Ravel Hotel, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Thank you for this wonderful review. We are glad to have made such an impression on you. We await your return. In the meanwhile, enjoy your travels and have an exquisite day! :-)
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

We are a family of two adults and a kid; booked a room for 3 persons which usually means at least two Queen beds. Upon arrival, they tried to put us in a room with one King bed, tiny sofa and no space for a cot. After we declined, they gave us a larger room with one King bed and a very lumpy cot. That's not what we booked, but whatever... the kid was tired.

The room had the weirdest layout: a bathtub and pedestal sink near the entrance in the open, separated from the bed only by a half-height partition. Behind that, toilet and shower stalls with glassed-in doors that did not go all the way to the ceiling, and no working exhaust fan. Basically, if you enjoy being in the room with your loved ones while they are taking a dump so you could smell and hear every bowel movement, then this hotel is for you.

The room and lobby décor had some pretense on the hip and edgy, but there were holes in the carpet and smudges on the walls. The TV was occasionally cutting out, and there was no WiFi in the room, only in the lobby. Doors were thin and did not block much noise from the hallway. Housekeeping knocks on doors early, as in before 9 am.

The hotel has a rooftop deck and restaurant that was more like a club with breathtaking views of Manhattan and Queensboro Bridge. The downside to that was noise from private parties (they seem to have a lot of these). Buffet breakfast was not included and was merely average.

Free parking was limited to about a dozen cars; we were lucky as we arrived mid-week, but others may not be so fortunate and would have to park in the street.

The neighbourhood is very industrial and there is literally nothing nearby. It's a 15 minutes walk to the Queensboro Plaza subway, OK during the day but a bit sketchy at night. They run free shuttle every 30 minutes; it's $5 for pickup otherwise. From there, it's an easy and quick subway ride to Manhattan on either midtown or uptown train. The new and excellent Long Island City Gantry Park, MoMA PS1 museum and many bars, restaurants and coffee shops of Hunters Point are either a rather long walk or a short drive away.

Front desk staff was generally helpful but that could not make up for the shortcomings of the hotel, the room and the location. I would not stay there again. Generally, if you are a young couple or a single person, this may be an OK hotel for you, but not recommended for families or business.

Room Tip: Do not get top floor rooms, horrible noise from the roof deck late into the night
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

I have to equate my visit to this hotel for their News Years Eve venue to how they treat their guests, in my opinion if my visit there was a rude unprofessional experience for New Years Eve the hotel side of the business would have been the same, so with that said let me tell you that the hotel, the cuisine, the staff, from the busboys to the hotel management staff was as good if not better than any place I can remember, I would not hesitate to staying there as a guest nor would I hesitate to recommend to anyone to dine in there restaurant. I would take this opportunity to thank everyone who had a hand in making my New Years experience a terrific time, some people forget while people are having a serious good time with family and friends, the people making that happen are working and not with their family's, so thanks from Mr. Jonathan Israel and guests.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Gerald R, Manager at Ravel Hotel, responded to this review, June 5, 2014

Been to Ravel Hotel? Share your experiences!