“Sketchy location and weird room layout; buyer beware” 2 of 5 stars

Ravel Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8-08 Queens Plaza South, Long Island City, NY 11101   |
Ranked #18 of 23 hotels in Long Island City
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Sketchy location and weird room layout; buyer beware”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

We are a family of two adults and a kid; booked a room for 3 persons which usually means at least two Queen beds. Upon arrival, they tried to put us in a room with one King bed, tiny sofa and no space for a cot. After we declined, they gave us a larger room with one King bed and a very lumpy cot. That's not what we booked, but whatever... the kid was tired.

The room had the weirdest layout: a bathtub and pedestal sink near the entrance in the open, separated from the bed only by a half-height partition. Behind that, toilet and shower stalls with glassed-in doors that did not go all the way to the ceiling, and no working exhaust fan. Basically, if you enjoy being in the room with your loved ones while they are taking a dump so you could smell and hear every bowel movement, then this hotel is for you.

The room and lobby décor had some pretense on the hip and edgy, but there were holes in the carpet and smudges on the walls. The TV was occasionally cutting out, and there was no WiFi in the room, only in the lobby. Doors were thin and did not block much noise from the hallway. Housekeeping knocks on doors early, as in before 9 am.

The hotel has a rooftop deck and restaurant that was more like a club with breathtaking views of Manhattan and Queensboro Bridge. The downside to that was noise from private parties (they seem to have a lot of these). Buffet breakfast was not included and was merely average.

Free parking was limited to about a dozen cars; we were lucky as we arrived mid-week, but others may not be so fortunate and would have to park in the street.

The neighbourhood is very industrial and there is literally nothing nearby. It's a 15 minutes walk to the Queensboro Plaza subway, OK during the day but a bit sketchy at night. They run free shuttle every 30 minutes; it's $5 for pickup otherwise. From there, it's an easy and quick subway ride to Manhattan on either midtown or uptown train. The new and excellent Long Island City Gantry Park, MoMA PS1 museum and many bars, restaurants and coffee shops of Hunters Point are either a rather long walk or a short drive away.

Front desk staff was generally helpful but that could not make up for the shortcomings of the hotel, the room and the location. I would not stay there again. Generally, if you are a young couple or a single person, this may be an OK hotel for you, but not recommended for families or business.

Room Tip: Do not get top floor rooms, horrible noise from the roof deck late into the night
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

533 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

I have to equate my visit to this hotel for their News Years Eve venue to how they treat their guests, in my opinion if my visit there was a rude unprofessional experience for New Years Eve the hotel side of the business would have been the same, so with that said let me tell you that the hotel, the cuisine, the staff, from the busboys to the hotel management staff was as good if not better than any place I can remember, I would not hesitate to staying there as a guest nor would I hesitate to recommend to anyone to dine in there restaurant. I would take this opportunity to thank everyone who had a hand in making my New Years experience a terrific time, some people forget while people are having a serious good time with family and friends, the people making that happen are working and not with their family's, so thanks from Mr. Jonathan Israel and guests.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Gerald R, Manager at Ravel Hotel, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Thank you for this wonderful review. We are glad to have made such an impression on you. We await your return. In the meanwhile, enjoy your travels and have an exquisite day! :-)
Honolulu, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

Average hotel. Rooms were fairly clean and comfortable. Its mentioned in the previous reviews, but the bathroom design was very strange. The toilet is not separated by a wall from the rest of the room, only a glass door is between the toilet and room. Hallway noise could be heard from our room and the subway train and traffic noise. The weekend party music could be heard in our 2nd floor room but it was not that bad in our room, but i would imagine it is much worse on the higher floors. The hotel is in a very industrial area. During the day, it was fine to walk in the area. It was about a 10-13 minute walk to the nearby subway stations. However, at night, we chose to take a taxi from the nearby subway station to the hotel. Taxi from Queenboro station to the Ravel was about $7 a ride. A good number of green boro taxis were available in the subway station area when we were heading back to the room at night (around 11 PM). BTW, while during research I discovered that the Ravel is across the street from the Queensbridge Housing Projects. It wasn't a problem for us during our stay, but knowing that fact contributed to our decision to take a cab during the night.

Overall, our stay was fine. No stand out problems. The bathroom, surrounding area during night, and club/hallway/traffic noise were our biggest complaints. Other than that, we were satisfied with our stay. However, I do not think i would be going back to this hotel. I would prefer to try the other hotels in Long Island City.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

The Ravel Hotel is a lovely place, minutes from the city and Brooklyn. We were surprised at the size of the room, very spacious! It had an open area with a soaking tub, and sink, then the shower and toilet were in glass stalls. The room had a comfy bed, a mini bar, fridge, coffee maker, and a balcony which looked across the water to Manhattan and the Empire state building. The had a lobby bar, and self serve wine dispensers. Breakfast was good up on the roof top, omelette station, and all kinds of breakfast treats for under $10. The room price was the best we have had in NY, and it was a pleasant surprise. They have shuttle service to the city available too. Free parking!

Room Tip: Avoid the top floor, there is music late at night from the bar. Get a room facing the empire state...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Queens Village, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

On December 15th i went to check in at a hotel which was advertised to be beautiful. Supposedly with a lovely view of the queensborough bridge, a rooftop restaurant, a comfortable atmosphere etc. To my surprise i was greeted with the view of a abandoned area which was very dirty and a hotel which looked like it was a crack hotel in the past. I went into the hotel against my better judgement and was greeted by a a front desk clerk which informed me she had taken 193 dollars off my credit card and in order for me to stay at the hotel for one night i had to provide a additional 150 Dollars or i wouldn't be able to rent the room. Now first i was absolutely annoyed that the hotel i made reservations to celebrate my husbands birthday at was a disgusting disaster and the rooftop restaurant that was supposed to be beautiful was not. But on top of that they had the audacity to want more money from me. They charged my credit card even though i chose not to stay there and i want my money back. I made such a big mistake in thinking i would have a nice evening. My evening was absolutely ruined. I advise anyone who thinks about renting a room at the ravel or taking their loved ones to penthouse 808 to please reconsider. Save yourself the aggravation. I am not a review writer but this hotel was so awful i had no choice. I just want to save others from experiencing the horror and ruined night that i did.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

We stayed here in August for two of our friends birthdays, we were originally going to stay at the Z hotel because that's where some of our friends had booked there rooms but then we saw Ravel's pictures and thought it would be cool to be able to experience both hotels. We had plans for about 12 of us to have dinner and drinks at Ravel on the rooftop then go to the Z hotel for bottle service because the view was better. Well when we checked in we were told that the rooftop was closed for a wedding, we were furious this hotel is FAR from cheap and considering we ONLY stayed at this hotel for the rooftop we didn't understand how when we booked this room we were not told this. I am not a picky person and i am very easy to please, the manager that was working was SO rude i was so blown away he said that the hotel has nothing to do with the bar and completely was blowing us off and said nothing i can do about it and thats that. Understandable there was nothing he could do but i cant even explain how rude and inconsiderate he was. When we asked him any other questions about the transportation he had one word answers and when we asked him where we could get dinner he basically yelled i don't know the bus will only drop you off. Then some employee and i wish remember his name (he was driving the shuttle service) was the only good thing about this place. He came and pulled us to the side to apologize for how rude and inconsiderate the manager was and told us he would pick us up and drop us off where ever we needed. our other big complaint was the elevators we had read reviews on them and just thought people were crazy but nope they weren't you feel like you are going to die in them and they take FOREVER. On a positive note the rooms are beautiful and very spacious. there is free parking but it is very limited. Also they say free wifi well that's only in the lobby

Room Tip: for a better view request a high level floor.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Ravel Hotel? Share your experiences!