“News Years Eve at Ravel A Home Run” 5 of 5 stars

Ravel Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8-08 Queens Plaza South, Long Island City, NY 11101   |
Ranked #17 of 23 hotels in Long Island City
New York City, New York
“News Years Eve at Ravel A Home Run”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

I have to equate my visit to this hotel for their News Years Eve venue to how they treat their guests, in my opinion if my visit there was a rude unprofessional experience for New Years Eve the hotel side of the business would have been the same, so with that said let me tell you that the hotel, the cuisine, the staff, from the busboys to the hotel management staff was as good if not better than any place I can remember, I would not hesitate to staying there as a guest nor would I hesitate to recommend to anyone to dine in there restaurant. I would take this opportunity to thank everyone who had a hand in making my New Years experience a terrific time, some people forget while people are having a serious good time with family and friends, the people making that happen are working and not with their family's, so thanks from Mr. Jonathan Israel and guests.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Gerald R, Manager at Ravel Hotel, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Thank you for this wonderful review. We are glad to have made such an impression on you. We await your return. In the meanwhile, enjoy your travels and have an exquisite day! :-)

537 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Honolulu, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

Average hotel. Rooms were fairly clean and comfortable. Its mentioned in the previous reviews, but the bathroom design was very strange. The toilet is not separated by a wall from the rest of the room, only a glass door is between the toilet and room. Hallway noise could be heard from our room and the subway train and traffic noise. The weekend party music could be heard in our 2nd floor room but it was not that bad in our room, but i would imagine it is much worse on the higher floors. The hotel is in a very industrial area. During the day, it was fine to walk in the area. It was about a 10-13 minute walk to the nearby subway stations. However, at night, we chose to take a taxi from the nearby subway station to the hotel. Taxi from Queenboro station to the Ravel was about $7 a ride. A good number of green boro taxis were available in the subway station area when we were heading back to the room at night (around 11 PM). BTW, while during research I discovered that the Ravel is across the street from the Queensbridge Housing Projects. It wasn't a problem for us during our stay, but knowing that fact contributed to our decision to take a cab during the night.

Overall, our stay was fine. No stand out problems. The bathroom, surrounding area during night, and club/hallway/traffic noise were our biggest complaints. Other than that, we were satisfied with our stay. However, I do not think i would be going back to this hotel. I would prefer to try the other hotels in Long Island City.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

The Ravel Hotel is a lovely place, minutes from the city and Brooklyn. We were surprised at the size of the room, very spacious! It had an open area with a soaking tub, and sink, then the shower and toilet were in glass stalls. The room had a comfy bed, a mini bar, fridge, coffee maker, and a balcony which looked across the water to Manhattan and the Empire state building. The had a lobby bar, and self serve wine dispensers. Breakfast was good up on the roof top, omelette station, and all kinds of breakfast treats for under $10. The room price was the best we have had in NY, and it was a pleasant surprise. They have shuttle service to the city available too. Free parking!

Room Tip: Avoid the top floor, there is music late at night from the bar. Get a room facing the empire state...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Queens Village, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

On December 15th i went to check in at a hotel which was advertised to be beautiful. Supposedly with a lovely view of the queensborough bridge, a rooftop restaurant, a comfortable atmosphere etc. To my surprise i was greeted with the view of a abandoned area which was very dirty and a hotel which looked like it was a crack hotel in the past. I went into the hotel against my better judgement and was greeted by a a front desk clerk which informed me she had taken 193 dollars off my credit card and in order for me to stay at the hotel for one night i had to provide a additional 150 Dollars or i wouldn't be able to rent the room. Now first i was absolutely annoyed that the hotel i made reservations to celebrate my husbands birthday at was a disgusting disaster and the rooftop restaurant that was supposed to be beautiful was not. But on top of that they had the audacity to want more money from me. They charged my credit card even though i chose not to stay there and i want my money back. I made such a big mistake in thinking i would have a nice evening. My evening was absolutely ruined. I advise anyone who thinks about renting a room at the ravel or taking their loved ones to penthouse 808 to please reconsider. Save yourself the aggravation. I am not a review writer but this hotel was so awful i had no choice. I just want to save others from experiencing the horror and ruined night that i did.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

We stayed here in August for two of our friends birthdays, we were originally going to stay at the Z hotel because that's where some of our friends had booked there rooms but then we saw Ravel's pictures and thought it would be cool to be able to experience both hotels. We had plans for about 12 of us to have dinner and drinks at Ravel on the rooftop then go to the Z hotel for bottle service because the view was better. Well when we checked in we were told that the rooftop was closed for a wedding, we were furious this hotel is FAR from cheap and considering we ONLY stayed at this hotel for the rooftop we didn't understand how when we booked this room we were not told this. I am not a picky person and i am very easy to please, the manager that was working was SO rude i was so blown away he said that the hotel has nothing to do with the bar and completely was blowing us off and said nothing i can do about it and thats that. Understandable there was nothing he could do but i cant even explain how rude and inconsiderate he was. When we asked him any other questions about the transportation he had one word answers and when we asked him where we could get dinner he basically yelled i don't know the bus will only drop you off. Then some employee and i wish remember his name (he was driving the shuttle service) was the only good thing about this place. He came and pulled us to the side to apologize for how rude and inconsiderate the manager was and told us he would pick us up and drop us off where ever we needed. our other big complaint was the elevators we had read reviews on them and just thought people were crazy but nope they weren't you feel like you are going to die in them and they take FOREVER. On a positive note the rooms are beautiful and very spacious. there is free parking but it is very limited. Also they say free wifi well that's only in the lobby

Room Tip: for a better view request a high level floor.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

I stayed in Ravel hotel for one week, hotel was recommended to me by my friend. Great location, amazing views of Manhatan. Easily accessible my public transport, few stops -and you are right downtown.
At the time of check in , young pleasant guy in the lobby upgraded my room at no extra charge. He warned me, about the noise (fri, sat party on the hotel roof) and made sure I don't mind before I paid, checked in.
(in the end-yes -party is a bit noisy, but I attended , had few glasses of wine , and was enjoying the "Night Manhatan"view..
I would recommend anytime, price is good too for NY. Great hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Visalia, California, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

We were visiting our son in Forest Hills for Thanksgiving and since there are no hotels in Forest Hills, we wanted to find a hotel near them with easy access to the subway. The Ravel seemed to fit the bill, and we were happy to find something less than $300/night. We were given a room on the 5th floor (room 513) with a nice view of the Queensboro Bridge and the East River. The lobby is very small, and has a wine vending machine. Once inside the room, we found it to be fairly spacious for NY, clean, with a comfy bed, a refrigerator and mini bar, and overall had a modern feel. Check-in was easy, even allowing us to check-in early.

Now for the not so great. The hotel is in a highly industrial area. When the cab driver first pulled into the parking lot I almost didn't get out of the car. It's that bad looking of an area. The staff told us the neighborhood was safe to walk at night, which we did once, but since it's almost all industrial there's no one on the streets after dark, which made me more uneasy than if there had been a lot of people around. The hotel staff does offer a pick up/drop off shuttle service from the F stop on 21st, so we opted to go that route after the first night. It's free if you want to wait for their service every 1/2 hour, $5 if you don't.

Inside, the room had a funky set up. First, there's no mirror over the sink, but rather it's off to the side. This made shaving for my husband, or for me doing my hair and makeup, just plain awkward. You had to crank your neck sideways to see anything and the lighting was really bad. The door to the toilet was thick, frosted glass but was similar to a pubic bathroom stall as it didn't go all the way to the floor or ceiling, and did not have a fan. Okay I guess if you're not shy, but would have been nice to not feel so exposed. There's no room service for breakfast, but they did offer to-go service at the restaurant at the top.

At night the view was supposed to be spectacular, but the only time we tried to go up for a drink there was a private party and we weren't allowed entry. Well, we could have if we'd paid the bouncer (no idea how much) for the privilege of going inside and buying a drink at the hotel where we were staying. Irritating to say the least. The final straw was at 3 a.m. when the private party was still blasting away with the music vibrating the walls. My husband finally called downstairs and asked how much longer this was going to go on. They said it was supposed to shut down at 3 and they'd take care of it. Which they did. Followed by someone coming to our room and knocking on our door about 15 minutes later to tell us they'd taken care of it. When we checked out the next day I asked the front desk about not being allowed in the bar the night before. She said that didn't sound right it could have been because of the party.

Overall, the room was clean and front desk staff was friendly. But the location, funky sink and bathroom design, plus the situation with the restaurant/bar being closed to guests and the all night party, we would not stay here again. I'd rather pay a little more, stay closer to the City, and have a bathroom with a real door.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Ravel Hotel? Share your experiences!