“Dirty Hotel, abandoned area ,crooks not worth the money” 1 of 5 stars

Ravel Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8-08 Queens Plaza South, Long Island City, NY 11101   |
Ranked #17 of 23 hotels in Long Island City
Queens Village, New York
“Dirty Hotel, abandoned area ,crooks not worth the money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

On December 15th i went to check in at a hotel which was advertised to be beautiful. Supposedly with a lovely view of the queensborough bridge, a rooftop restaurant, a comfortable atmosphere etc. To my surprise i was greeted with the view of a abandoned area which was very dirty and a hotel which looked like it was a crack hotel in the past. I went into the hotel against my better judgement and was greeted by a a front desk clerk which informed me she had taken 193 dollars off my credit card and in order for me to stay at the hotel for one night i had to provide a additional 150 Dollars or i wouldn't be able to rent the room. Now first i was absolutely annoyed that the hotel i made reservations to celebrate my husbands birthday at was a disgusting disaster and the rooftop restaurant that was supposed to be beautiful was not. But on top of that they had the audacity to want more money from me. They charged my credit card even though i chose not to stay there and i want my money back. I made such a big mistake in thinking i would have a nice evening. My evening was absolutely ruined. I advise anyone who thinks about renting a room at the ravel or taking their loved ones to penthouse 808 to please reconsider. Save yourself the aggravation. I am not a review writer but this hotel was so awful i had no choice. I just want to save others from experiencing the horror and ruined night that i did.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

478 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

We stayed here in August for two of our friends birthdays, we were originally going to stay at the Z hotel because that's where some of our friends had booked there rooms but then we saw Ravel's pictures and thought it would be cool to be able to experience both hotels. We had plans for about 12 of us to have dinner and drinks at Ravel on the rooftop then go to the Z hotel for bottle service because the view was better. Well when we checked in we were told that the rooftop was closed for a wedding, we were furious this hotel is FAR from cheap and considering we ONLY stayed at this hotel for the rooftop we didn't understand how when we booked this room we were not told this. I am not a picky person and i am very easy to please, the manager that was working was SO rude i was so blown away he said that the hotel has nothing to do with the bar and completely was blowing us off and said nothing i can do about it and thats that. Understandable there was nothing he could do but i cant even explain how rude and inconsiderate he was. When we asked him any other questions about the transportation he had one word answers and when we asked him where we could get dinner he basically yelled i don't know the bus will only drop you off. Then some employee and i wish remember his name (he was driving the shuttle service) was the only good thing about this place. He came and pulled us to the side to apologize for how rude and inconsiderate the manager was and told us he would pick us up and drop us off where ever we needed. our other big complaint was the elevators we had read reviews on them and just thought people were crazy but nope they weren't you feel like you are going to die in them and they take FOREVER. On a positive note the rooms are beautiful and very spacious. there is free parking but it is very limited. Also they say free wifi well that's only in the lobby

Room Tip: for a better view request a high level floor.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

I stayed in Ravel hotel for one week, hotel was recommended to me by my friend. Great location, amazing views of Manhatan. Easily accessible my public transport, few stops -and you are right downtown.
At the time of check in , young pleasant guy in the lobby upgraded my room at no extra charge. He warned me, about the noise (fri, sat party on the hotel roof) and made sure I don't mind before I paid, checked in.
(in the end-yes -party is a bit noisy, but I attended , had few glasses of wine , and was enjoying the "Night Manhatan"view..
I would recommend anytime, price is good too for NY. Great hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Visalia, California, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

We were visiting our son in Forest Hills for Thanksgiving and since there are no hotels in Forest Hills, we wanted to find a hotel near them with easy access to the subway. The Ravel seemed to fit the bill, and we were happy to find something less than $300/night. We were given a room on the 5th floor (room 513) with a nice view of the Queensboro Bridge and the East River. The lobby is very small, and has a wine vending machine. Once inside the room, we found it to be fairly spacious for NY, clean, with a comfy bed, a refrigerator and mini bar, and overall had a modern feel. Check-in was easy, even allowing us to check-in early.

Now for the not so great. The hotel is in a highly industrial area. When the cab driver first pulled into the parking lot I almost didn't get out of the car. It's that bad looking of an area. The staff told us the neighborhood was safe to walk at night, which we did once, but since it's almost all industrial there's no one on the streets after dark, which made me more uneasy than if there had been a lot of people around. The hotel staff does offer a pick up/drop off shuttle service from the F stop on 21st, so we opted to go that route after the first night. It's free if you want to wait for their service every 1/2 hour, $5 if you don't.

Inside, the room had a funky set up. First, there's no mirror over the sink, but rather it's off to the side. This made shaving for my husband, or for me doing my hair and makeup, just plain awkward. You had to crank your neck sideways to see anything and the lighting was really bad. The door to the toilet was thick, frosted glass but was similar to a pubic bathroom stall as it didn't go all the way to the floor or ceiling, and did not have a fan. Okay I guess if you're not shy, but would have been nice to not feel so exposed. There's no room service for breakfast, but they did offer to-go service at the restaurant at the top.

At night the view was supposed to be spectacular, but the only time we tried to go up for a drink there was a private party and we weren't allowed entry. Well, we could have if we'd paid the bouncer (no idea how much) for the privilege of going inside and buying a drink at the hotel where we were staying. Irritating to say the least. The final straw was at 3 a.m. when the private party was still blasting away with the music vibrating the walls. My husband finally called downstairs and asked how much longer this was going to go on. They said it was supposed to shut down at 3 and they'd take care of it. Which they did. Followed by someone coming to our room and knocking on our door about 15 minutes later to tell us they'd taken care of it. When we checked out the next day I asked the front desk about not being allowed in the bar the night before. She said that didn't sound right it could have been because of the party.

Overall, the room was clean and front desk staff was friendly. But the location, funky sink and bathroom design, plus the situation with the restaurant/bar being closed to guests and the all night party, we would not stay here again. I'd rather pay a little more, stay closer to the City, and have a bathroom with a real door.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Merseyside
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

We are staying on the 5th floor room 514 and the views are brilliant of the manhattan skyline.

Nice and quick check in given all information needed. Couldn't order room service due to a function but was assisted with ordering take away from local place which was friendly of them.

Room very clean, bathroom very spacious tea and coffee facilities available. Room has a safe which is easy to use and there is a well stocked mini bar.

Breakfast available at only $9.99 is great and overall for the price you pay is great. Seen some negative reviews about the area, it's just a busy industrial area surrounding it feel as safe as anywhere in New York which is a very safe city these days.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Glen Rock, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

I stayed here one night because it was very close to where I was working the next day, Silvercup Studios. I got a great deal on line and when I got to the hotel I was pleasantly surprised. The lobby is small but very funky and nice. The guy at the front desk was very friendly and upgraded my room at no extra charge. I forgot my toothpaste and he was happy to give me a few packets. My room was spacious, with two big beds and a large bathroom with a shower and a tub. I was on the first floor (107) and that was fine with me, as my car was right outside in one of the parking spaces provided by the hotel. Parking spots are first come, first serve, so I lucked out. (It looked like there was some construction going on in the parking lot.) I also didn't want a room too close to the rooftop bar, in case it was noisy. Turns out it was a relatively quiet night, regardless, and the view from the rooftop bar was pretty awesome.

One thing to note: the neighborhood is very industrial and I would not recommend walking around alone at night. Like I said, it was the perfect location and price, since I was heading over to Silvercup Studios in the morning.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

The hotel itself is pretty easy to find on foot, and only a 10min walk from either 23rd and Court or Queensboro Plaza. We always head to our hotel via the AirTrain so being just near the E line was handy.

The hotel entrance is via the car park which threw me slightly as we headed to the front of the building for access unsuccessfully.

Checkin was quick and easy and we had been allocated a room on the second floor, overlooking the car park, as it was a low room and the blinds needed to be kept closed at all times to ensure privacy as anyone walking or driving upto the hotel could see straight into our room. We had asked for a high floor with a manhattan view which obviously we didn't get, but were just pleased the room wasn't on the ground floor with barred windows.

The decor was ok, it is styled after a boutique hotel but unfortunately has been done with a small cost envelope and this shows, with worn vinyl floors (wood effect) and poor fixtures and fittings. There is a mini bar and other items in the room, all chargeable, no complementary tea/coffee. The biggest issue we had was the storage, there was a single small closet, but no drawers at all other than a 3cm deep drawer on the unit under the TV, which was suitable for papers only, leaving only a single shelf at the top of the closet some 6ft off the ground and not exactly easily accessible for clothes storage. In addition, even in NYC we are very used to having a separate desk area with a chair, as a work area and have experienced this in every hotel we have stayed at in both Manhattan and Queens over the past 6years at over 10 hotels, the Ravel hotel does not have this, but does have a lone chair in the corner of the room(?!)

Housekeeping was fine and the room serviced no problem at all.

Reception staff are friendly and welcoming and happy to help when needed and the shuttle can be used to and from local subway stations as needed. We only used this when it rained though as it wasn't a bad walk, although the neighbourhood is typical Queens industrial but safe enough.

I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone visiting for a first time as it could be a misleading initiation to NYC, as it is in what could be seen on the surface as run down and intimidating area.

We didn't experience any noise issues but were not at the hotel over a weekend.

Room Tip: We asked for a high floor, with a Manhattan view (staying for a week) and got neither, by all means...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Ravel Hotel? Share your experiences!