“A hotel...for club patrons” 2 of 5 stars

Ravel Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8-08 Queens Plaza South, Long Island City, NY 11101   |
Ranked #17 of 23 hotels in Long Island City
Toronto, Canada
“A hotel...for club patrons”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

We booked to stay one night at the Ravel hotel for a wedding taking place in the rooftop Penthouse on a Friday night.

I could not recommend an overnight stay at this hotel unless you are coming for the nightclub. Here are my reasons why:

This hotel is suited for club patrons, and not visitors to NYC.

Immediately following the wedding, tables and chairs were moved out to reorganize for the club patrons. As hotel guests we often had to line up and wait for one of two elevators, and were not permitted to take the stairs. The club is on 6th and our room on 5th, right across from the elevators and just beneath the club.

The club music continued well into the night, no soundproofing to the hotel floors. You could feel the thump of the bass through the room. You could hear the constant noise, doors slamming and chatter in the hallways and around the elevators.

Also, following the wedding, there was nowhere in the hotel for wedding guests to gather and continue to enjoy the evening, no other restaurants or lounges to visit. Thus, some wedding guests went to Manhattan.

Our room, king deluxe (good view) and bathroom was spacious. Sitting room furniture looked really worn down and tired, rather questionable. I wouldn’t sit down on the chair or sofa. At closer inspection, the bed was oddly positioned and the space from the edge of the foot of the bed was so close to the desk/mini-bar/safe, we would knock our ankles walking past.

I can’t say much about the staff at the hotel, we had very little interaction. Just a straight forward check-in and check-out, no pleasantries you usually find at check-in. If you called for assistance or information from your hotel room, you got the voicemail, no person. I left a message to say that the safe was locked when we came in, so that I would not be charged for a service to unlock the safe. A service person arrived almost immediately following leaving the message, and walked in with his work shoes and unlocked the safe with a *secret code.*

The breakfast the next day was just okay.

Getting a taxi from Manhattan to the Ravel was not what we expected. In fact, we could not get a taxi, and had to book a car service to the Ravel. I wish I could have gotten the info for the car service we received from Manhattan because I would give them a 4.5* rating.

I would give points for the view at sunset and the car service from the Ravel to Manhattan ($25 flat rate.)

For travelers thinking they can save a few $$ and stay at the Ravel and then commute over - is simply not worth it. Rather stay on the Manhattan side and be convenient to your visit to NY. If you prefer to miss the hustle and bustle of Times Square, then stay in one of the neighborhoods like Chelsea. We only stayed because of the wedding we attended.

Room Tip: Lower floor - not near the elevator.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

533 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

My sister found this hotel and, after looking at its location, I was skeptical. However, the staff at the hotel definitely made up for any lack of location. They all were very courteous and accommodating. Our room on the first floor was quiet and comfortable. The breakfast was very affordable and the chef makes a great omelet on the buffet. The restaurant terrace view of the Queensborough Bridge and Manhattan was a knockout. The hotel also provided free shuttle service to and from the hotel to Penn Station and restaurants in the area. (Also delicious)!
We would definitfly stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

Very nice especially for the price and they provide shuttle from train to hotel. Nice penthouse restaurant with great view of the city. Front desk staff was friendly. Rooms were unique but small. Would liked to have had a tub.

• Stayed September 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Our first trip to New York to see the US tennis open. Chose the hotel just because it was halfway between Flushing Meadows and Manhattan. They could not have been nicer. Upgraded our room to a beautiful boutique room. They had free shuttle service every hour to the MTA or subway stations. Picked us up whenever we got back to the station. Shuttled us to the restaurant district and got a car to take us to the train station early the morning we flew home. Printed our flight tickets. The rooftop bistro served a great breakfast for $10 and had beautiful views of Manhattan at night.
Sure, the neighborhood wasn't great but the people were.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Washington, DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I booked this hotel because I was in a wedding and the bride was staying here. Upon arrival, I drove past it because it doesn't look like a typical hotel. Upon entering the lobby, I thought okay it looks decent and the staff seems friendly enough. However, once I checked in, I was informed that they needed to make a copy of my license so they would know who is staying in the room, as if looking at my license wasn't good enough. H*ll, if I had a guest they'd never know, so needless to say I wasn't happy about their procedures, but I was told I could get the copy back upon check out. That was another lie. I entered the room and the floor was cracked and the lighting was bad. The furniture in the sitting room was filty and disgusting. The best part of the room was the bathroom minus the water pressure when you flushed the toilet. The had a peculiar smell, not dirty but not clean. The front desk stated their was a restaurant on the penthouse. However, they failed to mention it didn't open til 5pm. There are no food establishments nearby. There is a club that goes until 3am, in which the club patrons take precedence over hotel guests. Needless to say, I checked out that night, which was the same day that I checked in. I would never ever stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Best to get a bottom room floor.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

After getting an AMAZING deal for this hotel we weren't sure what to expect, but were pleasantly surprised! At first I wasn't sure of the location - feeling a little isolated from manhattan, but on our first morning we walked from the hotel to Central Park over the bridge and it took around half an hour, and if you're scared of long walks you have definitely chosen the wrong holiday anyway! rainy mornings we would walk towards the bridge and on the road leading to the bridge there was always am abundance of yellow cabs willing to take us over normally costing around $12. And yellow cabs were perfectly willing to take us back to the hotel at night while not always sure of the location (tell them to take the upper rdway over the bridge, turn right when they come off the slip road - then first left & the hotel is at the end of this road! The cleanliness was of a standard I have NEVER experienced in a hotel before it was perfect! The shower enclosures in the room were wonderful, and the bed comfort was excellent. The highlight of the whole experience was breakfast and dinner on the rooftop bar - the panoramic view of manhattan was simply breathtaking in the morning and at night - and the food & cocktails were out of this world! I absolutely loved it and would go back in a minute!

Room Tip: To avoid nightclub noise a 1st floor room is recommended
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Groningen, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 4 nights. Hotel is about 15-20 min walk from subway. Hotel offers free shuttleservice to subs every hour after 10 am. Neighborhood is dirty. Rooms are big but need some upgrade. (They are building a new hotel onside so I think they give this priority) internet is free in the lobby but $10 a day in the room!!. We stayed with a 9 month old baby and they charge $25 dollar for a babybed a night. Luckely we brought a pop up babybed. View from rooftop is very nice

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Ravel Hotel? Share your experiences!