“Never Again!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 25 Hotels in Long Island City
Cumberland, Rhode Island
“Never Again!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

The location was in a very seedy part of long island.
The shuttle bus from the hotel only drops you off at the subway stations,
in order to get to Manhattan on the hotel bus costs 25 dollars. The parking area
in the hotel parking lot only holds like 10 cars, its first come, first serve. If there
is no spots there you can park on the street for free (if u have a nice car i wouldn't recommend it) This room was appalling. The TV didn't even turn on so they moved us to a different room The carpet had numerous stains throughout the entire room.
The shower had mold running up and down the stall. The toilet seat was loose. The electric plug was hanging off the TV stand. The refrigerator and bathroom cabinet was badly chipped, stained and in need of replacement. The blankets on the bed were old, stained, with balled up cotton inside. They weren't even encased in a blanket cover. On Friday morning, I was in the shower were i looked up and saw tiny bugs all over the walls and ceiling. That was when i decided to check out early. I left Friday morning at 11am even though i had paid up til Saturday morning. The front desk employee refused to give me a refund for the last day. Worst hotel I've ever booked and i travel frequently.

Room Tip: If your visiting NYC i would recommend you pay a little extra for a hotel located closer to Manhat...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I work in management within the Hotel industry and know all the standards of the business. I went to NY for my anniversary and decided on a boutique hotel for a change. I will say yes the view is amazing of the city day or night if you get a penthouse we stayed on the 5th floor and it was modern contemporary a lovely penthouse clean with a perfect king bed to sleep in. So i really dont get all these people writing bad reviews of this hotel being dirty and rude Its New York city Manhattan is by far the dirtiest city ever everywhere theres garbage even on the most luxurious hotel traffic is horrible and hotel suites starting at 650 a night plus 60 valet. Im sorry but for 200 a night at the Ravel for a Penthouse valet 7 bucks and an awesome restaurant and club at nights rooftop The Ravel is awesome yes music is loud but so is Times square all night long if you want quiet go up state to catskill and be in the mountains. Upon checkout the GM of the hotel Klestor Pellumbi "great guy' was at the desk which is definite big points in management checked us out printing out directions which made my stay even better and we shall return soon.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Newcastle, England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Stayed at the Ravel for 3 nights at the start of a 3 week tour of the NE States and Canada and have to confirm, as satisfaction per dollar goes this was the worst i have experienced. Albeit i understand that in NY the rates are much higher than anywhere else in the states, this hotel was still a very disappointing experience.

We decided to stay outside of Manhattan to get more of an experience of the city than just Manhattan island, experience the culture of the 5 boroughs, we arrived at the hotel at around 3pm and we were given our room straight away, we arrived in the room, which was directly above the reception and looked out onto the carpark. Now for a hotel that basically sells itself on the view of Manhattan skyline it was a very disappointing result.

As we were disappointed we decided to ask to change rooms and told that there were no others availible and that this was the room we paid for, not one with a view (it said nothing about this on the site we booked on). However if we came back at 11am the next day they would check if there was another room, clever… you are here to see New York, not a hotel reception in Queens. So we lived with it, the amount of time you actually spend in your hotel room in NYC guess it does not matter.

The location was not that you would expect to find a hotel, it was about a 10 minute walk from Queensboro Plaza subway station and all you pass is workshops, factories and the Silvercup Studios. There are no bars or restaurants near the hotel.

This and that we can live with but the real fun was on Friday night, there is a nightclub on the top floor and as our room was next to the elevator shaft there was the constant noise of the elevator till the early hours of the morning, it was one of the worst nights in a hotel I have ever had, to add insult to that as we were directly above the reception the groups of party goers congregated directly below the window, keeping us up further.

Now I try and give hotels the benefit of doubt where possible but here its hard to, when we checked out we were not asked if we had a nice stay, of course they will know their problem rooms better than anyone and would avoid such confrontation in a busy reception.

BUT…

Want to know how it has so many good reviews, there is a card in your room and you get a free bottle of wine if you write your review when you are there, meaning people would not give a true reflection on the experience.

Oh and to top it off the toilet seat was broke and door wouldnt shut so they had to fix it, i think we were in a room that was only used when busy, but why should their demand have a negative impace on my experience.

Never Again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Called ahead and asked for early check-in and was told it wouldn't be a problem since the hotel was not full and I was staying during the week. When I arrived, the people at the desk ignored me for a few minutes and then proceeded to tell me to wait in the lobby for 10 minutes for no apparent reason since they weren't busy at all. (They ignored me again later so I kinda got the sense that there was no manager working and they were just doing whatever they felt like.)
I had booked the room online and had two requests (high floor and far away from elevators)... well I got one out of two. They gave me the top floor but my room was literally right across from the elevator so I got to listen to it all night long.
The room itself was nice enough but the water pressure in the shower wasn't great and I couldn't really change the temperature.
The roof deck definitely makes the place. The view is pretty great and the bar staff was very friendly and attentive.
The hotel needs some work if it wants to have a chance competing with any of those across the river!

Room Tip: high floor, away from elevators!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Loved the view and room - it was really great to have the bath on the level below floor))) really liked it, the location is good. Breakfast was nutritious and tasty. Not far from metro station, has some shops nearby. Comfortable parking in front of the entrance.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed at the Ravel last week after visiting 5 years ago and had a wonderful stay , the hotel was great then but has got even better .
Large comfortable rooms with great beds and pillows, balcony with great views of the manhattan skyline and a shuttle bus to drop you at the nearest subways etc.
Really courteous and helpful staff and its a great location , I would defiantly recommend this great hotel and its now got a fab roof top bar and terrace too.
Already planning our next trip back :)

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I really enjoyed staying the night at the Ravel Hotel a couple of weeks ago. It is fairly close to the city (with a beautiful view of the skyline). I LOVE the spacious shower and comfortable bed. It was also had a lot of space and great extras like a fridge that you normally don't get in NYC. The hotel staff was very friendly and the shuttle service, an extra bonus. Althou, the first subway stop is a bit of a distance, the shuttle ran like clockwork and getting around was easier because of it. I love the cold water that was available at the front desk, that was a great touch. The entire hotel had a fun and upbeat feel and I would stay here again.

Room Tip: All rooms have a view of the bridge and city skyline. The lower floors might be better on the weeken...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to Ravel Hotel? Share your experiences!