“Oh what a view...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 25 Hotels in Long Island City
Chicago, Illinois
“Oh what a view...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I was discplaced from my home and found the Ravel to meet the needs of location and pet friendly. What I was not expecting and was a pleasant suprise was the roof top. Very nice.

The hotel was a welcome place to stay for the 2 days. The staff was accomodating especially on my departure. They made me feel like they did not want me to leave.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Newark, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I enjoyed my stay here clean rooms nice club upstairs and I liked my view of the city from the balcony. Real comfortable beds. Pleasant front desk employees. No free wi fi but, you will be busy enjoying the vibe of your room. In the penthouse upstairs, nice club with outside area. Sexy look had alot of sexy people there. It was a cool vibe, there was one guy who was overdrunk and acting a fool but the bouncers there was cool and spoke to him and he cooled off. Nice looking woman was on deck I enjoyed the view and the music was nice and I have nothing but good reviews for this hotel/nightclub. For smokers there is a outside deck for that, but if you have a room don't think bout smoking in the room unless you ready to cough up that fine money and it is not work it. If you stay in the hotel you can go to the club as a guest and if you not a hotel guess you can just pay admission for the club with proper id and attire of course.

Room Tip: You may want a room facing the bridge for that nyc skyline view it is a nice look. The higher rooms...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

After much deliberation my wife and I decided not to stay in Manhattan. Our reasoning for this is that we could get a lot more for our money outside of Manhattan and we could get an MTA week travel card for $30 for unlimited subway use. The Ravel hotel is near Queensboro and Queensboro Plaza subways which are only 10 mins from Times Square on the Subway.We stayed in a Superior King room. The room is a good size but all open plan (which is interesting). The view of the Manhattan sjyline was nice but our blind in our room was broken so always 2/3 shut. We also noticed a lot of the mini bar had been drunk/eaten and filled up with water. We immediately reported this so we were not charged. The first issue we did find is that getting from Newark Airport to Queens is not easy. Most company's will not take you there as they have to pay to go back into Manhattan. We used Future Taxi which was Amazing! The room was clean but run down, the water was not 100% clear and there were a few items that looked a little tired. The staff were friendly and we did not experience any issues with the Penthouse that other TA reviews had described. We saw no issues in Queens but did not want to venture out as all the staff made us aware not to. The hotel runs a free shuttle service to the subway which is why we booked this particular hotel. This is great for taking you there but not picking you up. 3 times we were left waiting in the cold and after getting a taxi back we were told the shuttle did come but didnt see us. This would have been impossible as we were standing curbside for 45 mins. The other issue is that no Taxi knows where the hotel is and even if you tell them, they are never sure on how to get there on the one way system. The hotel does have a card with directions to give taxi drivers but we were not given this until our last day. We ate breakfast once at the hotel and found it to be ok. A little overpriced but not too bad. It was nice to eat in the glass penthouse with the sun shining so we were happy. Check-in and checkout were fine and we did ask if we could order takeout when we arrived as it was too late to eat out (and we did not fancy paying the hotels prices for food). Not only did they say we could but they also provided us with menus for local takeouts, once it arrived they called our room for us to come down (this is a nice touch they do not have to do). As we left we realised major building works going on next door and asked what was happening, the hotel staff advised they were expanding and were installing a pool as well. All in all we liked the Ravel, it was a good stay but it does become a drag getting a subway and a taxi each morning and evening especially if you come back to change for dinner. This is a really good medium budget option if you are looking for something 3/4 star but if you can afford it (or want to pay it) then I would recommend staying in Manhattan.

Room Tip: Superior rooms are the minimum. If you go for a deluxe you will not get a good view! You will get a...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Great hotel. Rooms are not as big, but certainly comfortable. Fiancee decided to eat some peanuts that were stored in the snack bar and next thing you know ( do to my honesty), at check-out the gentleman asked "consumed anything"? Yes, Peanuts. Ok $14. I felt like they scammed me. Patel should have known better than that....Organic Peanuts do not even cost as much. The roof bar restaurant was smooth. The evening can get quite noisy, do the partying, but hey "people having simply a good time". Drinks are $10-$12, beers, I don't remember. Would I stay he again, YES. WOuld i consume anything in the snack bar "HELL NO". Enjoy the nice view of Manhattan as you are drinking a smooth drink : )

Room Tip: Don't eat from the snack bar---big time Scam!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Lakewood
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

My wife and I went to New York to get married and we stayed at the Ravel Hotel. We saw the reviews for it being a party hotel and with us being young we thought it would be cool. Well we enjoyed the food, and the service was pretty good. I would like to mention that we both have high standards for hotels since my wife and I are both managers of a hotel so we expect almost the best. This hotel is in need of renovations badly. It may have looked great when they first opened the hotel but they for sure have let it go. Housekeepers do not understand nor speak any english at all. Everything is so out dated and run down in that hotel. Almost thought I was in the ghetto. The pictures they have up are very decieving. There hotel no longer looks like that. When we got home I looked to see if I had gotten my refund yet, well I had gotten my refund for the deposit but not for the full amount. I had my reciept stating that I was getting a full refund so this came to me as a surprise. Well they had charged us for soda's that we didnt take from there very expensive rooms. So I called and talked to the manager 3 different times, and all 3 times they stated that they put the refund through. Well I still have yet to see it. I would only recommend this hotel for the view(we had a great one)but other than that I would never recommend this hotel or ever go back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hazleton, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Ravel Hotel in mid-October 2012. The pictures online looked nice, the reviews were decent, so we figured we would give it a shot. Turned out to be a huge mistake. Before we even booked the room I called the hotel to see if our credit card would be charged when we got there or as soon as we booked (I was booking the room online). The associate on the phone told me we would be charged upon check-in, and nothing else was said. To our surpise there was a security deposit of over $100 that we found out about as we were checking in. You'd think there would be something mentioned about that either over the phone or on their site. When we got our room key and entered the lobby I was surprised at how nice it was. It was very well decorated and luxurious...Too bad the luxury ended there. As soon as you round the corner it starts to resemble a cheap motel. The halls are small, dirty walls and carpet, ect. I didn't pay much attention to it as we started to head to our room. Once inside our room I look around to make sure everything is clean, and (as with every hotel i stay at) I check to make sure the sheets on the bed are clean as well. As I'm checking the bed I notice a brown stain on one of the pillows. I pick it up, happen to smell it, and the stain turns out to be feces. There was Human [--] in our bed! Being the clean freak that i am I start to freak out and am ready to leave. My boyfriend talked me out of it so we go downstairs to the front desk. I told them what happened and they gave me another room key. Go up to the next room and it smelled like someone used the corner as a bathroom. We get 2 more keys from the front desk and try a different room once more. FINALLY we find one that was sutiable. When we got back to the room that night the outlets and 2 of the lamps did not work. I wouldn't really complain about something so minor usually, but for a room that cost over $500, things were getting a bit ridiculous. We stayed 2 nights at this place and on the morning we left I found out that "housekeeping" was not giving us clean towels but picking the dirty ones off the floor, re-folding them, and putting them back on the rack to be used again. How do I know this? My lipstick from the day before was on a "clean" towel I grabbed from the shelf. Even the view (which is the top selling point of the hotel) was ruined by two huge smoke stacks blocking most of Manhattan... AND to top this lovely trip to New York off, the overpriced snacks in the vending machine were expired. By Overpriced I mean 6 bucks for a 6 oz can of soda and a coffe cake. When we got home I called the management team at Ravel to complain about our experience and they offered a refund. I was very happy with this until I found out a refund for a room that cost over $500 came out to be $60. Don't stay at this hotel unless you like sleeping in [--] and being ripped off.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
RavelGM, Manager at Ravel Hotel, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Thank you for your review and we appreciate your feedback. We apologize for any inconvenience during your stay. Deposits are normally taken by every hotel whether they inform you or not. All credit cards must be authorized for validation. Also, our deposit information is posted on all websites and on all confirmation pages. Here at Ravel Hotel, we like our guest to be informed of all policies, which is why our front desk agents inform all arriving guests of our security deposit and house rules before authorizing any cards. We like to allow our guests to have the luxury of not having to pull out their wallets for any form of payment. When staying with us you can charge everything to your room, things such as breakfast, dinner, room service, in-room movies, a night at the lounge, private shuttle service and other cost amenities offered. This is the reason why deposits are taken. We also allow you the choice of not leaving a deposit. This however, makes the Check-in process longer due to the removal of the Mini-bar and all purchasable items. This also restricts you from making any charges onto your room. Our Hotel is small we cannot deny it. We are a luxury boutique hotel. No worries, we are expanding with additional rooms, a pool, and an additional rooftop! We stress all our guests to please identify the situations at hand immediately so it may be corrected then and there. You seem to have several cleanliness complaints but still decided to stay your entire time at the hotel and did not seem to alert management. Our housekeepers are supervised on a daily basis and our vending machine soft drinks are currently/have always been $2.50 not $6. They are inspected weekly. Please contact us to further discuss and to allow us to rectify this situation. We look forward to making this right for your partner and you.

Ravel Hotel
Management
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Me and my sister stayed at the Ravel for a week this December. The staff are reasonably friendly, offered advice on how to find places etc. The best part of the hotel is the penthouse rooftop bar. The food is amazing (although quite pricey), the drinks are fanastic (not being a big drinker myself but i enjoyed a few cocktails!!), the view is amazing at night, you can see the city from the rooftop all lit up and queensboro bridge. I was surprised how I didn't hear any loud music from the rooftop at night (and I was on the 4th floor!) The only noise I did hear was from outside the hotel when there was building works going on (the builders start at 7am so not good if you want a lay in)

The only let down about the hotel was its location. Every time we needed a taxi from the city back to the hotel (espcially at night) no taxi driver would take us, and the ones that would could not find the hotel. The hotel does have a shuttle service which we used in the morning to the local subway station. But as I have mentioned, walking back at night (especially in an area we didn't know) felt unsafe.

The room was cleaned everyday, with fresh water and toileties put in the room. The room had a very comfortable double bed, massive double shower (which was lovely) and a TV with basic channels. The hotel had good room service too.

The only let down was the location (for travelling) but the views were amazing. I'd recommended staying at this hotel, but if you do go into the city at night, I'd advise hiring a private taxi from the hotel (only costs $25)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Ravel Hotel? Share your experiences!