“Nice hotel, Modern, Right under the 59th St. Bridge” 4 of 5 stars

Ravel Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8-08 Queens Plaza South, Long Island City, NY 11101   |
Ranked #18 of 26 Hotels in Long Island City
New York City, New York
“Nice hotel, Modern, Right under the 59th St. Bridge”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

Hotel was nice. Very modern, close to the city. Roof top bar and the bathroom was amazing. Nice big tub, very clean and flat screen tv's.

In my original room (a king room) the tv was broken, so they changed it no problem. The room they changed me to with a double bed was actually nicer. It had a balcony too, which is great because I'm a smoker.

There was a wedding at the roof top bar, so we couldn't check it out. If you're looking for a clean, modern, trendy hotel that's not going to break your pockets, this is your place.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Bayside, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

I stayed at this hotel with my girl on June 24th of this year. We woke up at 10am and had a good breakfast at the rooftop, which is right on the top floor of the hotel with a great view of the city. My friends wedding was a few blocks away. Fortunately they had a shuttle bus in the hotel that drove us there, so we didn't have to sweat walking there lol. After the wedding we got picked up from the hotel, and came back to have dinner at their rooftop again. I would really recommend their steak flatbread pizza, and their ravel roll which is what we had was out of this world!!! After dinner the hotel lounge started late evening. My friends and I partied all night with drinks and dancing, listening to diverse music with a great view of the east river. I would really recommend this hotel if your looking for a fun night, without moving around too much it was great!!!!

Room Tip: i would recommend the penthouse room which is where we stayed.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

This was a great hotel.It lived up to all expectations. I didn't have to leave the place to find NYC nightlife fun. Right of the rooftop I was able to eat, drink, and party. The view at anytime of the day, is breathtaking. Plus: The staff were very friendly and helpful.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

Ok so my friend & I stayed at The Ravel from Sun-Thurs at the beginning of June. I arrived first & was early for check in but was shown to a room without 10mins. It was on the ground floor so I popped back to the lobby to enquire about the possibility of a room on the higher floor. The receptionist told me that he had upgraded us to a KingRoom as that was made up but that he could have a room on the third floor ready in about half an hour which was a QueenRoom. He took me to show me what it would be like & as he had explained it was much smaller. The only thing was that the bathroom was separate to the bedroom whereas in the KingRoom it was very much open plan. The bath was over a small wall from the bed & the shower & toilet were in frosted glass door cubicles.

I decided the extra space was worth the open plan nature of the room. My friend & I have known eachother for years & been on holiday together before so I didn't anticipate it being an issue - which it wasn't. But there is a slight warning here for new couple or friends who wouldn't feel as comfortable. I can imagine it could make you self-conscious!

On our first night we headed up to Penthouse808. I had given up alcohol for a year so was looking forward to my first cocktail in 12months. Now I have to say I had better cocktails during my trip but the view & the night in general made it more than an amazing start to our trip.

The shuttle to the subway proved very useful. We used it to get there a few times but either walked back (max of 15mins) or if we were out very late got a cab.

Our cab from ProspectHeights in Brooklyn was less than $20 & from the LowerEastSide was $15. So I can imagine if you were in TimesSquare or further uptown it could be $10-$15.

The fact that the hotel isn't in Manhattan REALLY isn't an issue. The subway runs all night, there are regular trains with choices of all the lines you could possibly need at nearby stations & for $30 for a 7day unlimited ticket you really can't go wrong. Oh & the subway is air-conditioned!

I'm going to write a separate review but I just want to mention an amazing restaurant we went to in Brooklyn. It's called "Carlton Park Local Organic" which is at the corner of FlatbushAvenue & ParkPlace (nearest subway stop 7thAvenue on the F or G train). The food was amazing (all locally sourced & organic), the cocktails were even better & the service excellent & we were then recommended to loads of bars two blocks away which were fantastic too!

Ok so in closing I would definitely stay at TheRavel again & the built in nightlife is a massive bonus!

• Stayed June 2012
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

I stayed at this hotel on Saturday June 9th of this year. I didn't know the area too well, so I didn't know how to enjoy my evening. Luckily the staff was really helpful, including Jorge and Gerald, who recommended me the rooftop upstairs. There was a private event, so I couldn't go up until 11pm due to a wedding on premises. I went up at 11 when it opened, and I was never more astonished at how beautiful of a scenery it was. It was a great panoramic view of Manhattan, great skyline view of the east river. The music was really great and diverse, so I was never bored of a specific type.They had access to the Pacquiao vs Bradley boxing fight, so the crowd was going crazy up there which was great energy. I would definitely recommend this hotel if your looking for a fun night, with great music and drinks. Definitely look forward to coming again.

Room Tip: I stayed at the penthouse rooms which had a great view.
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

Location: If you are looking for a view this may not be the best option. It's a mix of industrial brooklyn and big bright city behind it. It's right next to the queensboro bridge (Ed Koch Bridge) which is busy every time of the day, and night. I must say though that I enjoyed sipping a cold brew at 12pm over looking the river, surrounded by city traffic, it gave me a great nyc vibe.

This was the second time my husband and I stayed here, first was for our anniversary last year. We like to come here for a fun weekend and traveled all the way from Brooklyn ;p Although this hotel is indeed a bit isolate from the safer parts of Long Island City, we had no issue walking back from dinner and bar hopping in the area. It is a walk amids a power plant and some old warehouses. The hotel does a great job at providing guest with a shuttle bus that runs every hour (I think sometimes every 30min). They can also call you a cab if you wish. We choose to hail a yellow cab a few block up towards the bridge (cheaper option)

During the weekends there is a bar/club operating upstairs, guest are welcomed. We haven't check it out yet. The Long Island City water front is great and there are plenty of fun spots there. There is a fair amount of noise that carries from upstairs. On the 5th floor especialy. You will hear tables and chairs moving and vaccuming and breakfast set up early in the am. When we stayed on the second floor it was much more enjoyable.

The rooms are clean, I wouldn't say they are spotless, the bathroom glass doors need to be wiped with a bit more care. The bathrooms always seem to somehow connect with the sleeping space, the toilet and shower have their own enclosement. I loved the sliding doors in the room we got this time! The room size is great for NY standards. Bed was comfy, tv and ac all worked fine. The mini bar was a bit over priced, but they have a realy cool automated wine bar in the lobby area. Water pressure was also a bit low both stays. Nice big tub, but it took a while to fill.

I would not suggest this hotel to a family with kids vacationing in NY. It's great for a couple looking to have a great time on the town, or a group event (there was a wedding in the restaurant- great idea). It's just not the type of sourounding a kid would enjoy. Also we have not tried the room service or the restaurant upstairs.

The staff is always nice, very informative and helpful. They add on to the great vibe of the place. (Shout out to George! You are doing a great job keep it up!) There's a parking lot out front, although we didnt get a spot due to the wedding going on there. Had no problem finding a spot behind the hotel, there was a valet service option.

Hope this helps :D Got questions, feel free to ask!

Room Tip: Avoid top floor!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Andover, MA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

My boyfriend staid here a number of times in the past and never had any issues, but this time was horrible. He booked a penthouse the day before we were scheduled to stay at the hotel and asked two specific questions before booking - would the rooftop be open for dinner and dancing all night? Would we be able to reserve the room he had in the past with the chaise lounge? The answer to both questions was Yes.

Upon arrival we were given a room without the chaise lounge and a moldy smelly shower. The manager was nice enough to move us to the room originally requested, but the new room was not only gross, but dangerous. The toilet didn't flush, the light above the shower didn't work and both the light above the shower and toilet not only were falling out of the ceiling, but neither of them had caulking, waterproofing, or Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters, which prevents people from electrical shock and is against safety code. Th only good thing was the balcony and view - great view of the bridge, but the city was obstructed by some kind of tall stacks.

Once we dropped off our luggage we decided to walk up to the rooftop to have a look at where we had hoped to have dinner. Once we got up there we found out the deck was closed for a wedding and wouldn't be open to the public until 11pm. So clearly the person who took the phone reservation for our room and answered these two questions had absolutely no idea what they were talking about when they answered Yes.

On top of the room being less than adequate, when we arrived back to the hotel around midnight from being in the city, the elevator was full of skanks going up to the rooftop bar, and our entire room was vibrating from the base of the bar music. We asked the front desk what time the bar closed and if a manager was available because we had had enough, but unfortunately we were told the music would stop around 2:40am and no manager was available that he'd be in at 7am to speak with him then. We sat in the room watching tv hoping to block out the noise, but where unsuccessful. It finally spotted around 2:30am and we were able to go to sleep.

The next morning we spoke to the manager who was less than helpful. His response to the rooftop being closed was "we can't control who books weddings; it opened at 11 you could have gone up there then." Obviously you can't control the booking of a wedding, but what you can control is having your lobby representatives lie to potential guests when asked questions about property amenities and a wedding isn't a last minute thing, they new it was going to happen and should have told us when we asked if we could dine there.

His response to the unflushable toilet and the lights was absolutely nothing. He ended up giving my boyfriend the room for a regular room rate, but that is far from acceptable.

If you're looking for a place to relax and get a good night sleep, spend the extra money and stay somewhere else. If you're looking for a place to party this is the place for you!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Ravel Hotel? Share your experiences!