“Great Stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 23 hotels in Long Island City
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great Stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012 via mobile

Came to NY to visit family for a couple days. Searched for hotels close to them, but not to far from the city. This hotel came up and I was impressed by the site. I booked a king executive,really nice, big, clean room. I didn't need a view since I've been to the city plenty of times. The hotel has a shuttle service which was VERY helpful, saved me at least a half hour of walking each day. The rooftop dining area is breath-taking! I loved it, and invited my family the following night for a nice dinner. The hotel staff were so friendly and eager to help me at all times, appreciated that a lot. The Ravel is a great hotel and I will definitely stay again when I come back to visit my family.

482 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

Check in was smooth and the lobby itself is beautiful. The staff was truly wonderful-- they understood everything for which we asked and gave it to us.We were given room 307 which was king size bed. The room was beautiful and I was a little worried about the view only being on the third floor, but for no reason, the view was stunning!The bathroom was fantastic, great shower, plenty of lighting, counter space, just beautiful. The bed was like sleeping on a cloud.Their restaurant penthouse808 was beautiful and food was delicious.Truly enjoyed our dinner and met a wonderful couple there too, good times! I would go back and stay at this hotel in a heartbeat and strongly recommend it for anyone wanting to escape reality for a few days.

Room Tip: king superior balcony
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012 via mobile

Extremely good service! Especially the front desk associate Jenneka :)

Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

I stayed at the Ravel to visit family, and I was amazed at how nice and helpful the staff is! Due to how people say New York can be this place changed my perceptive. The shuttle was very helpful and the hotel was only about ten minutes away to manhattan on the train and the view to my room was breath taking. Let me not get started on how comfortable the beds were. I would definitely stay here again, it was a great first time in New York, I would definitely recommend this place to all my friends and family.

Room Tip: King penthouse with balcony!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Fair Lawn, NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

My friend was flying out of Laguardia and we needed a place to stay overnight close to the airport. The place looked nice, clean and the decor was kind of cool so I booked it. We chose a King Superior room and paid for it online. When we arrived, I was a bit taken back by the neighborhood. The picture on their website indicates it's located in a rather isolated area of Long ISland City. In reality, the opposite is true. The picture reminded me of one of those Joan Rivers publicity shots. The place in no way resembled the picture except for the physical layout of the building. I guess they needed to accentuate the hotel so I understand their point but in doing so they totally misrepresented the neighborhood in which it resides.

Upon check in, we were informed of a "special sale" where for $30 more we could upgrade to any room we wanted. He also said that an upgrade like this would normally cost over $200. Not a bad deal, or was it? I agreed and was told that we could have a room in the penthouse with a terrace and a view of the city, The room was adequate but, after checking their website, it seemed the only difference between this and the room I booked was a bath tub, which we didn't need. The view was nice but was totally obstructed by Roosevelt Island which, technically, is the city, is not what we expected. It was also EXTREMELY noisy. The sound of cars on the street and going over the Queensboro Bridge was deafening. Also, because we were in the Penthouse which was actually the 5th floor, we were barely above the commotion of the street below. The upgrade really wasn't an upgrade at all and the differences between the two rooms should have been explained to us in a much more up front manner. I felt ripped off.

As for its claim of being a "boutique" hotel, I kind of agree but it was more Home Depot boutique then Ian Schrager boutique. On a positive note, they do have off street parking and the restaurant on the roof was kind of nice, especially with the lights from Roosevelt Island at night.

Lastly, stupidly, I left my BlackBerry in my room and realized it only after I returned home to NJ. I called them right away and they assured me they would send someone to the room right away to retrieve it and call me right back. It took me another 8 phone calls before someone confirmed that they had found it. I was then assured that they would mail it right back to me. When I hadn't heard from them or received it 2 days later, I called back. It took me another 10 calls (literally) and 2 days before they told me that there was a $10 handling charge in addition to the postage. By this point I was frustrated and drove there to pick it up. I'm sorry but to use lost or forgotten items as a profit maker is wrong and certainly not standard lodging procedure. Friends, when you are in the HOSPITALITY business, follow up is paramount.

All in all, I liked the hotel but feel that management there could stand to be improved. I doubt I'll stay there again and cannot recommend it.

Room Tip: Choose the cheapest room.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel Saturday, the staff were really helpful, and very informative on what I needed help on. What attracted me the most though, was the rooftop lounge, the food was awesome I would recommend the sushi they have, in particular the ravel roll was out of this world. The music was awesome and very diverse very broad. I would definitely recommend this hotel of you're looking for a fun weekend.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

I used the Ravel Hotel for my guest room block for my wedding that I was having at the Water's Edge in Feb 2012. In the beginning, my guest to this day let me know the truth of how hard it was to book with them. Most places you can call 24/7 and book your hotel. My guests had to book between certain hours during certain times with resulted in them calling me to try and help alleviate the situation.

In the end, it all worked out but could have run much smoother. I do have to say that the staff, Stephanie and Loren, did their best to make sure I was comfortable and that all ran smoothly.

What I really do not like about this restaurant is how they charge you for EVERYTHING! I was going to book the shuttle for my wedding for certain times (a total of 3 hrs) and they were going to charge be money even though it was complimentary for the guests to use. With all of the business I gave them during a slow winter season, I would hope that breakfast would be complimentary for my guests but they still had to pay when asked. Even though they were running a special where guests could get a free breakfast, because my guests did not book under that code, they were told they could not be relieved of the breakfast charge.

I asked for a spread of bread, fruit, etc for my suite that AM for my bridal party and they charge me another $75 even though it was the same basic food being served for the breakfast. At this point, i was too tired to argue with all of my wedding planning and just accepted the charge.

Stephanie and Loren did do a great job the days leading up to my wedding to make sure I had everything I needed:
1. Confirmed the time I could use the rooftop for my bridal pics
2. Confirmed extra tables/stools I needed for my makeup/hair artists
3. Loren even stayed late for my the night before past her normal hrs to greet me and walk through everything

All in all, its close to the water's edge so it worked out great. Stephanie and Loren were a pleasure to work with. Yet, I think this hotel still has a long way to go, especially with all of the new hotels popping up in the area.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Ravel Hotel? Share your experiences!