“Believe the negatives you've read thus far and STAY AWAY!” 1 of 5 stars

Allegria Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   80 West Broadway, Long Beach, NY 11561   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Long Beach
Hempstead, New York
“Believe the negatives you've read thus far and STAY AWAY!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

You know I wish I would have taken pictures just to prove how bad it was staying here. First off, one woman actually slipped and fell in the lobby in front of the front desk. No one helped her up, the staff just looked startled. The humidity from the A/C and the doors being opened caused unsafe conditions in the lobby. Later that evening they put floor mats down. An ounce of prevention folks.... Our room, where to begin! There are multiple light switches all over the place. Some work and some don't and its up to you to figure out the right combination to get parts of the room lit. Cracks and scrapes on the floor from moving the furniture around (pull out bed, table). There was a hole cut out in the wall that lead to some vent that they tried to hide with a garbage can. Light switch near bed needed spackling. Room was VERY, VERY DAMP, like a wet washcloth. Hae the room was cold and damp and other half hot and damp. Dead bugs in the pull out bed!!!! Doesn't anyone check these things? Bathtub has rusty water, even after running it continuously for 45mins. My wife was the only person to have a hot shower (she was first), me and the kids only got cold water. The Fire Alarm went off continuously early in the morning and announcements stating that it was false were made, but it took forever to shut it off. I'm positive it was more than an annoyance for late sleepers. Did I mention the stain on the pillow on the bed???? A mucous-like smear (i hope thats what it was).

Positives, housekeeping actually came and made up the pull-out bed right in front of our eyes. Maintenance workers were friendly and of course the beach was nice.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
nyc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

I was in the restaurant on Monday July 26th. I Live in Manhattan and also have a place in Long Beach. Had visitors from Europe and thought we'd have try it out. The service was outstanding. We had drinks at the bar and realized we were going be a little late for our reservation. The server at the bar told us not to worry,finish our drinks and relax and went to the restaurant and told them we would be 20 minutes late.
The waiter in the restaurant was friendly and efficient, the food delicious (duck starters, flank steak, seafood and pasta, blueberry bread pudding)and the wine excellent. The restaurant was about 3/4 full at 9pm on a Monday evening. Prices about average for a good restaurant in New York
I loved it and would definitely go back. This is my second time here and don't understand the lousy reviews.

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Harrogate, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2010

Firstly let me say that I normally never write reviews and am a low maintenance customer; however, we found Tripadvisor very helpful in our recent vacation planning so I feel obligated to give back a little. At the rates this hotel charges and the attitude it projects - look at renting a beach condo.

I'm no expert, but overall I feel the hotel needs alot of work on the fundamentals of hospitality. Customers are not idiots and can tell a nice warm smile from a snotty painted grin. We felt more welcomed by the maintenance guys working on our A/C then most of the reception personnel.

One key to an enjoyable stay at this hotel is negotiation. We negotiated a discount before we even showed up due to the fact the pool wasn't ready. Don't be afraid to negotiate - they need your business.

We walked into our room and the first thing we noticed was an open window with a box fan turned on facing the room. The bellhop played with the A/C for a few moments and we realized that it wasn't working. When I called reception the first response I got was - "Oh didn't they tell you the A/C was out in the ocean view rooms?" I went to reception and we were comped the first night's stay with the promise the A/C would be fixed shortly. I don't want to drone on endlessly about the A/C but in the end it wasn't fixed during our stay and we worked with one sharp guy in reception who understood where we were coming from and dropped the "didn't you know this is the Ritz-Carlton?" act that was displayed by the rest of reception. When you are having trouble at this place look for Anthony - he worked with us and offered alternatives and eventually a generous discount for our impacted stay. The sea breeze coming in helped with the temperature - but it was very humid and uncomfortable.

The service offered by the beach crew was the best I've ever seen. The guys brought the chairs out, put 'reserved' signs out, and provided towels. They even loaned us a couple of body boards for the kids to surf with. Beach passes are complimentary through the hotel.

The gym was beautifully done at the top of the hotel with a view out toward the ocean. A full range of cardio and weights. Lots of windows - the nicest views out of any gym I've been in.

We didn't eat or drink at the hotel aside from using their 'grab and go' service on the weekend. $20 for a cheeseburger (with no fries) in a town like Long Beach - forget it. This hotel's food and beverage director thinks they are in Manhattan. There are wonderful diners and restaurants all around Long Beach and you can feed a family of four for under $40 at the Ocean Park Diner. Gino's Restaurant and Pizzeria has great italian food. Grillfire for all-american food are all within walking distance..

The room A/V was good. I think they are using an IP/TV solution of some sort but it all worked great with lots of channels in HD and displayed on the "37 flat panel nicely. There was a nice clock radio. There were two phones in the room. I used the wired connection in the room for our netbook's internet connection @ $12.95/day. One of the hotel maintenance guys told me that iPads don't appear to work through the hotel's wifi but I didn't verify this with ours. We lost cellular service 3g and voice for the majority of the time in the oceanview room. The signal can't seem to make it through the building.

The room safes installed at the hotel have all been recalled so they've been disabled for use till they're replaced.

Everything looked very nice in the room but some of the furnishings looked a little worn for a hotel so new. Our chair had a hole in the arm already. The sink wiggled on the worktop in the bathroom. The faucets and the decor in the bathroom were nicely done; however, we did run out of hot water once. The mini-fridge was useful for keeping drinks cold.

The windows opened fully (thankfully) It looks like there's a nice balcony off the room but it's only about 6 inches deep.

Our cleaners seemed pretty good. The only comment I have is that the glassware (two wine glasses and two drink glasses) were never replaced or cleaned.

There is no place to store luggage in the room so we were a little tight with space.

On checkout the bellhops and concierge were very helpful.

We were told by locals that the hotel ran out of capital prior to opening. That seems accurate when you see that the pool has no projected opening date and there didn't seem to be anyone working on it. If they promise you something verbally, get it in writing prior to booking. I wouldn't reccomend this hotel at this time - if there are some changes made and reductions in rates - it'll be great.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Long Beach hotels

East Altantic Beach, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

My fiance and I stayed in this hotel last week. The decor is beautiful! Our room was spacious, including a living room type area with couches and flat screen tv, a large bedroom, and two bathrooms! Our room overlooked the boardwalk and the ocean! The food was delicious and the atmosphere was great. Our table also overlooked the boardwalk and the ocean. The staff that we spoke to were very friendly. This hotel is top notch and has really spared no expense! This hotel also hosts weddings, and we will be looking into having our wedding there.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2010

TheHotel is absolutely gorgeous. It has a real South Beach feel to it. The staff were very friendly and helpful. My Friend and I had dinner in the Atlantica Restaurant which in facing the ocean and the interior of the restaurant is breath taking. The staff in the restaurant were great and the service was quick and attentive. The food had nice size portions and very tasty.The rooms were very clean and had a real beach feel to them. No mistaking this hotel is definately a beach hotel. Great selection of wines from all over the world in the wine bar. Bruch was amazing with delicious food. Enormous selection of food from pasta stations, raw shellfish, you name it, it was there. The hotel bar was great with a lively crowd. Overall it was a great trip and if you are looking for a hotel right on the beach, Allegria is the one for you

Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2010

What a beautiful hotel. What terrible service and really poor management. Sadly, this gem on Long Beach is a waste of money. A brand new hotel and guests are not notified on a 90 degree humid day..that the AC does not work in any of the Ocean view rooms. After numerous calls, and much aggravation they did upgrade us to a suite. However, we still had to wait an hour for someone to come up and re-set AC. Then we had to wait for someone to come up and fix the televisions. Then we waited for someone to fix the phone in the room. By 11:00 PM...we were tired of waiting for and having servicemen in our room. We told them to forget about the phone we would use our cell phones.
So we called for room service on our cell phones to order a cup of tea and a small pizza. One and half hours later...and two more calls..we finally got a cup of lukewarm water ($6.00) and a greasy soggy something that we just threw away.
Sorry to say, that as pretty a place as it is....our money is better spent elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Burlington, Vermont
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2010

The only nice aspect of this hotel is the location. We paid $400 for a Sunday night. I felt nickeled and dimed over everything. $25 parking, $12.50 for internet access, $8 for a bottle of water, $10 for an umbrella. Staff is young and inexperienced. Locals said they ran out of money prior to completion and it feels that way.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Allegria Hotel? Share your experiences!