“Hotel misses on fundamentals of hospitality overall.” 2 of 5 stars

Allegria Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   80 West Broadway, Long Beach, NY 11561   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Long Beach
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Hotel misses on fundamentals of hospitality overall.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2010

Firstly let me say that I normally never write reviews and am a low maintenance customer; however, we found Tripadvisor very helpful in our recent vacation planning so I feel obligated to give back a little. At the rates this hotel charges and the attitude it projects - look at renting a beach condo.

I'm no expert, but overall I feel the hotel needs alot of work on the fundamentals of hospitality. Customers are not idiots and can tell a nice warm smile from a snotty painted grin. We felt more welcomed by the maintenance guys working on our A/C then most of the reception personnel.

One key to an enjoyable stay at this hotel is negotiation. We negotiated a discount before we even showed up due to the fact the pool wasn't ready. Don't be afraid to negotiate - they need your business.

We walked into our room and the first thing we noticed was an open window with a box fan turned on facing the room. The bellhop played with the A/C for a few moments and we realized that it wasn't working. When I called reception the first response I got was - "Oh didn't they tell you the A/C was out in the ocean view rooms?" I went to reception and we were comped the first night's stay with the promise the A/C would be fixed shortly. I don't want to drone on endlessly about the A/C but in the end it wasn't fixed during our stay and we worked with one sharp guy in reception who understood where we were coming from and dropped the "didn't you know this is the Ritz-Carlton?" act that was displayed by the rest of reception. When you are having trouble at this place look for Anthony - he worked with us and offered alternatives and eventually a generous discount for our impacted stay. The sea breeze coming in helped with the temperature - but it was very humid and uncomfortable.

The service offered by the beach crew was the best I've ever seen. The guys brought the chairs out, put 'reserved' signs out, and provided towels. They even loaned us a couple of body boards for the kids to surf with. Beach passes are complimentary through the hotel.

The gym was beautifully done at the top of the hotel with a view out toward the ocean. A full range of cardio and weights. Lots of windows - the nicest views out of any gym I've been in.

We didn't eat or drink at the hotel aside from using their 'grab and go' service on the weekend. $20 for a cheeseburger (with no fries) in a town like Long Beach - forget it. This hotel's food and beverage director thinks they are in Manhattan. There are wonderful diners and restaurants all around Long Beach and you can feed a family of four for under $40 at the Ocean Park Diner. Gino's Restaurant and Pizzeria has great italian food. Grillfire for all-american food are all within walking distance..

The room A/V was good. I think they are using an IP/TV solution of some sort but it all worked great with lots of channels in HD and displayed on the "37 flat panel nicely. There was a nice clock radio. There were two phones in the room. I used the wired connection in the room for our netbook's internet connection @ $12.95/day. One of the hotel maintenance guys told me that iPads don't appear to work through the hotel's wifi but I didn't verify this with ours. We lost cellular service 3g and voice for the majority of the time in the oceanview room. The signal can't seem to make it through the building.

The room safes installed at the hotel have all been recalled so they've been disabled for use till they're replaced.

Everything looked very nice in the room but some of the furnishings looked a little worn for a hotel so new. Our chair had a hole in the arm already. The sink wiggled on the worktop in the bathroom. The faucets and the decor in the bathroom were nicely done; however, we did run out of hot water once. The mini-fridge was useful for keeping drinks cold.

The windows opened fully (thankfully) It looks like there's a nice balcony off the room but it's only about 6 inches deep.

Our cleaners seemed pretty good. The only comment I have is that the glassware (two wine glasses and two drink glasses) were never replaced or cleaned.

There is no place to store luggage in the room so we were a little tight with space.

On checkout the bellhops and concierge were very helpful.

We were told by locals that the hotel ran out of capital prior to opening. That seems accurate when you see that the pool has no projected opening date and there didn't seem to be anyone working on it. If they promise you something verbally, get it in writing prior to booking. I wouldn't reccomend this hotel at this time - if there are some changes made and reductions in rates - it'll be great.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
East Altantic Beach, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

My fiance and I stayed in this hotel last week. The decor is beautiful! Our room was spacious, including a living room type area with couches and flat screen tv, a large bedroom, and two bathrooms! Our room overlooked the boardwalk and the ocean! The food was delicious and the atmosphere was great. Our table also overlooked the boardwalk and the ocean. The staff that we spoke to were very friendly. This hotel is top notch and has really spared no expense! This hotel also hosts weddings, and we will be looking into having our wedding there.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2010

TheHotel is absolutely gorgeous. It has a real South Beach feel to it. The staff were very friendly and helpful. My Friend and I had dinner in the Atlantica Restaurant which in facing the ocean and the interior of the restaurant is breath taking. The staff in the restaurant were great and the service was quick and attentive. The food had nice size portions and very tasty.The rooms were very clean and had a real beach feel to them. No mistaking this hotel is definately a beach hotel. Great selection of wines from all over the world in the wine bar. Bruch was amazing with delicious food. Enormous selection of food from pasta stations, raw shellfish, you name it, it was there. The hotel bar was great with a lively crowd. Overall it was a great trip and if you are looking for a hotel right on the beach, Allegria is the one for you

Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2010

What a beautiful hotel. What terrible service and really poor management. Sadly, this gem on Long Beach is a waste of money. A brand new hotel and guests are not notified on a 90 degree humid day..that the AC does not work in any of the Ocean view rooms. After numerous calls, and much aggravation they did upgrade us to a suite. However, we still had to wait an hour for someone to come up and re-set AC. Then we had to wait for someone to come up and fix the televisions. Then we waited for someone to fix the phone in the room. By 11:00 PM...we were tired of waiting for and having servicemen in our room. We told them to forget about the phone we would use our cell phones.
So we called for room service on our cell phones to order a cup of tea and a small pizza. One and half hours later...and two more calls..we finally got a cup of lukewarm water ($6.00) and a greasy soggy something that we just threw away.
Sorry to say, that as pretty a place as it is....our money is better spent elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Long Beach hotels

Burlington, Vermont
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2010

The only nice aspect of this hotel is the location. We paid $400 for a Sunday night. I felt nickeled and dimed over everything. $25 parking, $12.50 for internet access, $8 for a bottle of water, $10 for an umbrella. Staff is young and inexperienced. Locals said they ran out of money prior to completion and it feels that way.

Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2010

On a recent trip to Long Beach, my family and I stopped by the Allegria to check out its guest rooms, restaurant and bar (though we were staying elsewhere). We were all impressed by the overall décor – think Miami’s South Beach – but agreed that it was probably not worth the high prices. The rooms were small (although the suites seem fine – but at over a thousand dollars a weekend night in the high season you’d expect them to be), and stylish with white, sand and blue accents. What disturbed us most was the quality of the materials used. The counter tops in the bathroom are Formica, which is already buckling near the sinks, for example. Also, the floors in the first and second floor common areas are a white painted cement which looks both dirty and kinda cheap. We also noticed that the ceiling in the reception area was made of white plastic. It looked like corners were cut during the build out (probably in response to the economic downturn.) In the next year or two of normal wear and tear I imagine this place is going to look really ratty around the edges. Our overall impression: not worth the money.

Basel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2010

We stayed with our two kids and what we wanted was to spend some time at a hotel right at the beach that was easily accessible from Manhattan, without having to schlepp all our stuff (umbrellas, chairs, drinks) from the city. And this is what we got at the Allegria Hotel.

But what we didn't get was a luxury hotel treatment but paid a price for a luxury hotel.
This is why:
- staff was (mostly) unfriendly, incompetent (needed to ask supervisors for the easiest questions like changing travellers cheques) and simply not well trained.
- Check-in took forever. For no apparent reason the receptionist disappeared and left me standing at the desk for a long time.
- We had made a reservation for a double ocean front room. But the room we got didn't have a working air conditioning and upon calling reception they promised to send somebody to fix it. Three hours later, when coming back from the beach, the room was still hot. So we asked to be moved to a different room, but apparently no other ocean front rooms were available (although the hotel seemed to be pretty empty on that Tuesday). We got a $100 discount for changing to a ocean view room which had quiet and very efficient air conditioning. I asked several staff members later on and they all told me that the problems with the air conditioning seem to be a long known problem and especially the ocean front rooms were affected.
Upon check-out the receptionist didn't even bother to say thank you for staying with them, which I thought was rude for a hotel with a luxury attitude.
- Rooms are small and neighbors in ocean front rooms can be heard extremely well.
- Our room had a lot of stains on the floor which could be removed quite easily (I tried!), one bed sheet had a well visible hole in it . Obviously quality control of housekeeping doesn't seem to happen.

Interestingly my travel agent told me that this hotel is no longer part of Small Luxury Hotels (slh.com). I didn't get an answer when I asked the receptionist why.

All in all I had the impression that hotel management was not up the job. Staff seemed badly trained, rooms not in proper shape, the hotel overpriced for what they offer and their snotty attitude simply not justified. We did not have dinner at the hotel because we didn't want to spend a lot of money with the risk of wasting it on bad service or bad food. Breakfast service was slow, food good, the restaurant nicely decorated, great beach view.

For us the location of the hotel was very attractive and we did get the expected quality time at the beach with our kids. If that's what you want I can recommend this hotel, otherwise better avoid it until they get their act together.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Allegria Hotel? Share your experiences!