“Horrible Service” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Long Beach
Bayside, New York
“Horrible Service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed today NEW

I was with the wedding group that had a block of 20 rooms reserved. First of all I was promised an ocean view room ; which did not happen. Like everyones elses room; there was an air conditioning issue. It took a couple of hours for the room to cool down a little .Apparently ; this has been an issue for some time ; according to all the other bad reviews they have gotten here. I dont know why the hell they dont fix it by now. When complaining to the front desk; they could care less. This is a shame; because the hotel is in a prime location right on the boardwalk of Long Beach; which is the only reason I give them one star. When entering not one person helped to open the doors; and we are an older couple carrying bags; and my wife disabled and has to use a cane. No bellhops there; but there a few vallet people that could of helped us. They didn't even help us get the bags out of the car.
Elevators slow. Had to tug hard at the bathroom door;' which was a sliding door in order to close it. No handle on window to open it. Phone did not work on room to room calls. Asked for a wake up call for 8 AM ; that never came. Called up to find out ;why it wasn't done; they said called up room 425. We were room 426. To put it bluntly; the service simply sucked. The decor is nice and modern. But the terrible service and poor maintenance of the building; takes away from it all. Breakfast buffet for two was outrages. It was over sixty dollars; and the food was just ok. Walk a few blocks for something better one thing that you should be aware of. There is a $25.00 valet fee per day; that is not told to you when you make the reservations. As you may well guess by now ; I would not recomend this hotel to anyone. I will give them one star for location and looks; but that is as far as my praise will go.

Room Tip: Again; be aware of the $25.00 valet service fee; that is not told to you when you make the reservati...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

539 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Astoria, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

The hotel was "fine". Obviously the big benefit they have is that it is situated directly on the Long Beach boardwalk on the beach. Besides a smaller hotel a few blocks down the boardwalk and off of the beach, they are the only hotel in Long Beach. So, if you need to/want to stay in Long Beach you have little choice for hotel accommodations.

I got a very good deal on a mid-week room so I got what I paid for. The room was pretty small, faced the atrium (view of other rooms across the way and some iron beams) and had no air conditioning on a 90 degree day (aparently all rooms had issues with the AC while I was there). To make matters worse, the window only opened about 2 inches. The running water was sometimes yellow - sort of not surprising given its on the beach, but, I wouldn't drink it! The walls are very thin and its a "party" hotel. So expect a lot of 20-30 somethings drinking all day/night and coming home obnoxious and drunk at 3am. Check-in time is 4:00 PM and they do mean exactly (or maybe even after) 4:00 PM. Fair enough, that is their policy. Given this, there is no line at 3:30 PM for check-in and then suddenlty, a line of about 20 people attempting to check-in at 4:00 PM.

The staff was generally friendly and helpful, although they seemed a bit confused by their own hotel policies. There is a real lack of consistency in their systems. One day I needed a beach pass, one day I was told I didn't need one. One person says the hold on the credit card for incidentals is $100, another says its $150. When I asked for clarity I got a lot of "don't worry about it" answers.

Tip: Read what they ask you to sign - there are a lot of "holds" put on your credit card for use of the differnet amenities - including $250 charge if you don't return your beach pass. And, on that note, ask for receipts. They're system of handing out beach passes is flawed, while they will charge you if you dont return it, they have no method in determining who returned the passes and who didn't. So what is to stop them from charging you? Per the staff, "oh dont worry aobut it."

Long Beach is a fantastic and quick getaway from NYC and the beach and boardwalk is beautiful and clean. Its definitely worth the "average" hotel stay for the experience. Despite the little glitches and annoyances, I'd likely book a room again if I were to get a deal. But for $500+ a night, I dont think so!

New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

I have stayed here twice a summer since their grand opening and never had a problem until now. There was no air conditioning in a majority of the rooms. The front desk knowing puts you in a room they are well aware has no ac, then they they act surprised when you complain. Management is a joke, they are all well aware the entire hotel has a major ac issue yet they deny it and do little or nothing to accomodate you. My first room had no ac, no window handle so you couldn't open the window and the bathroom was disgusting to say the least. They tried to put me in a downgraded room with a depressing institutional view, instead of giving me another room with a beach view or an upgrade. Management came to my third room and tried to jerk me around by telling me "the air was working a little." I could see them start to perspire while they tried to convince me the air was working. In addition, there was mold on the ceiling, no make up mirror in the bathroom and I had to hunt down maid service for tp as there was none in my room. Sunday' regular brunch was unorganized and not tended to. They were out of eggs at 8:45! I injuired about when the eggs would be replenished and I was told "I don't know." For all my trouble dinner was on the house. I must say I was not crazy about the menu selection, however, service was stellar. Monday morning's breakfast was deploreable. My over easy eggs were presented with broken yokes and my bacon was so overcooked it looked like jerky. I was amazed they allowed that plate to leave the kitchen. My stay was a nightmare! C rate service with a five star price. The Allegria has lost a loyal customer. My stay there was depressing.

• Stayed July 2014
Newark
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

The a/c in this hotel has Never worked right. The system was never installed correctly, money money money.....the facility is falling apart. Phone system and elevators have been a problem from the opening. Staff knows their is no fix and that it is always going to be a problem , that's why they don't even apologize, they are used to all the SAME complaints.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
New City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My husband and I stayed at the Allegria as we were attending. A wedding there July 5th. Most of the guests arrived on ?July 4th, all of us eager to enjoy , what we thought, would be a relaxing, enjoyable and memorable weekend. It certainly was memorable- no air conditioning in many rooms, rooms were changed and often times those rooms had broken air conditioners- some were changed to a third room and others were given fans, some of which did not work. People were checked into rooms where staff already knew the air conditioners were not working. My husband had called in advance to clarify what accessories would be in the room, and asked about the air conditioner situation. He was told no one would. Be checked into rooms with broken air conditioners. Over a dozen and a half rooms were changed the first night.different shades of brown in the sink and shower, not enough/ appropriate closet space for clothing or shoes, in some rooms the toilets did not work, several phones did not work and either required staff to reset them or replace them, only 3 hangers in the closet, had to complain that no glasses were in the room the second day, not due to housekeeping's fault. The front desk was basically no responsive except to check and certain other basic administrative tasks.. They ran out of beach chairs and chairs for the pool area. Speaking of the pool- it was quite small and not meant yo swim in. Elevators were held up before each wedding but no one, including guests trying to get to the wedding, were told what was going on. Both wedding receptions, ceremonies and dinners were late in starting.
Overall, it seemed like there was no organization or structure to guide the staff. Grassroots staff- valets, bell hops, cleaning people seemed to know their job and do it rather well. Nick D was extrenmely helpful I trying to resolve my issues, and those I introduced him to. It is a shame that this hotel has such an amazing location but the mood is ruined by the ever occurring problems.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. You can't trust whether you will have sir conditioning or heat during appr...
westchester, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I agree with the other reviews 100%. We were at the July 5th 2014 wedding and upon arrival many people at the front desk checking in where told they did not have their second day reservation. They told me that the day before when I confirmed on the phone and then quickly said they would add the 2nd day so we were ok when we arrived. I had online confirmation for the 2 nights months before. The AC was not working in many rooms and we had one of them. Many guests were switching rooms and the management found us another room which had ac but was not ocean view which I had booked but street view. The positive was that the hotel is right on the beach/boardwalk and we received complimentary beach towels, chairs and umbrella as well as beach passes. However the lady on the elevator was complaining they ran out of passes by 11 AM. Speaking of elevators, it was so slow and we had to wait 10 minutes to get any where. Very frustrating so we would take the stairs down every time and ended up in the kitchen somewhere when we got to the bottom. The room appeared nice but the window handle was broken, there was a very tiny bottle of body wash and a small soap. There were 2 bath towels and 1 wash cloth for 2 people. So the next day when we showered in the morning we had a damp towel to use. Even 3 star hotels give you 4 towels. We did get the wedding rate for the room but is was still too much for the services we received. Then the final surprise- as we were showering for the wedding the water turned dark brown. After drying off, the towel had brown streaks on it. YUK! I heard it was like that for about an hour but we had to be at the wedding by 6.
Finally the elevator wouldn't take us to the rooftop for the wedding so we had to get off and walk up.
So now after reading other reviews it seems there was an AC problem for a few months. That is not acceptable!

Room Tip: would not recommend this hotel
Melville, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

This is my 2nd time staying at this hotel within 1 year. Each time we had a horrible experience. My most recent stay was July 5th and the hotel still had the same problems.
The hotel only has Aprox 50 % of there rooms with working AC. Once again I was given a ocean front suite with no AC. I requested a room change which I got , but it was a much smaller suite but it did have working AC!!. The hotel also has a shortage of Beach chairs. this is a 160 room hotel but the beach only has 100 chairs?? The roof top pool is extremely small, with aprox 60 chairs around the pool. I arrived at the hotel on summer day at 11am and could not get a chair on the beach or pool. MY family needed to sit on a towel in the sand. The hotel has a 25.00 resort fee which I was never told about when the reservation was made I refused to pay that charge.
Complaining to the front desk was a waste of time as they did not care about all the complaints. when asked for a GM I was told its a weekend he does not work weekends, and the front desk clerk handed me his business card. The acting manager Jason was useless and did not care!!
Sunday morning breakfast was horrible. They have a tiny buffet for 25 .00, they have a full service restaurant but would not allow you to order off the menu because the entire kitchen staff is preparing for the Sunday Brunch which costs 75.00 I recommend if you do stay at this hotel to take a nice walk 3 blocks and there are less expensive and great places for breakfast
Don't waste your time or money at this hotel

Room Tip: make sure your check your AC before unpacking
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Allegria Hotel? Share your experiences!