“Would not go back” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Long Beach
Mamaronec
“Would not go back”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Although this hotel is beautiful and the location is superb, I would not recommend this hotel. Upon check- in I was told I did not have a reservation. I quickly showed him a confirmation that was sent via email and coincidently he found it. We arrived early with all intentions of waiting until the designated check-in time and using the facilities. When we asked if we could get a bite to eat we were told by a gentleman(who worked at the restaurant) he didn't know he was new and we should go to the front desk to see what time they started serving. We wound up walking into town and had a wonderful lunch at Sutton Place. We finally checked in after 3 with an adjoining room with our friends. We walked into their room and the door locked behind us with the keys locked in our room. I called the front desk and they said they would send an engineer. 45 minutes and 3 phone calls later he arrived to let us in. He told us he was not contacted until 5 minutes before he arrived. We finally settle in to find that our room phone did not work. Thank goodness for cell phones in case of an emergency. We ordered dinner in from the restaurant on premise and was told it was a limited menu but if we came downstairs we could order from a larger menu. After making our selection, we were told they can not send it up to the room because we "chose" from the main menu. What a crock! If I weren't so hungry I would have walked out. We waited for what seemed like an eternity only to arrive upstairs to find they had forgotten one of our entrees.
Our husbands awaiting patiently while we run back down because they won't send it up. We
arrive back to the room to be informed by our spouses while we were gone a gentleman came to
the door and said he received a noise complaint. Mind you we have 9 month old twins who are
sleeping in the same room. Who in their right mind would make noise to wake peacefully
sleeping babies I ask you? The next morning I take my son to surf camp on the beach a bit down
the way which I arranged through the concierge and surprise, he's not on the list. The staff at
this hotel should be wiped clean and replaced with experienced people who know how to treat
their guests. I would never come back here again and I'm hoping my review will save some of
you the troubles that we have experienced. My advice, save your money. They act like they are
doing you a favor by letting you stay here and spend your money. No thanks .... We'll pass.
Location is the only thing they have going for them.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Mike W, General Manager at Allegria Hotel, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
Dear Wendy T:

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay. Firstly, let me apologize for the challenges you experienced - we do take your feedback seriously and see it as an opportunity to lift our level of service.

While we cannot do much about the guests who complained about noise coming from your adjoining rooms; as a result of your post - we are taking a hard look at our menu policy. The staff in question has been redirected.

The phone system has been checked and the room phone is operational and safe for occupancy. We also reached out to the surf camp to ascertain what happened with your reservation because our log book and the phone itself indicates that a call was made from the concierge line and a reservation was made on your behalf.

If you would like to discuss your stay further, please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel.

Allegria Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Stayed in Allegria the last 4 days, the hotel looks great, modern decoration, clean and at a great location. But when you stay there lots of things are just not right. Checkin, they didnt know me, despite I had all info needed, of course I got a room, but was served in a grumpy way...when I entered the room I noticed I was very warm, so I checked the airco, it showed an error code. As I had a 7 hour flight and took me a hour to arrive at the hotel I needed some food and drink, so I mentioned that my airco wasnt working at the reception, ofcourse the same grumpy stephanie. And she would call the engineer....coming back after a hour...engineer hadnt got time but would fix next day...entering the room, made me very unhappy as it was far tooooo warm so I called to asked for a different room, was impossible as they were full, but will confirm after 5 min...as you guess nobody after 5.....so slept without sheets.....was too tired anyway. Called at 6 as I had a major jetleg and was working already since 4:30, if they could send up the engineer. Was only possible at 8...so I contined working and when out for bfast at 9 nobody since...at 09:30 a engineer apear with a bull shot story that it was all ok.....too busy in hotel, overload, would kick in an extra airco on roof blabla, so I believed him....and again slept in a MAJOR warm room...one of my collegues arrived and also had a night and mentioned how cold his room was, he even went down for a spare blanket. So I called reception and they promised a engineer and I demanded a new room, which I got and was cold!! Futher the food in Restaurant is super expensive and not really good. The wifi is slow and not inçluded and only for one device, the service in general is not equal to the looks of the hotel.

So yes long beach is ok, the hotel looks ok, but maybe change the staff will make this a 4 or 5 star...and when you go make sure they dont fool you around!!!!

Room Tip: read the reviews and and know how to make sure you demand the right!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Mike W, General Manager at Allegria Hotel, responded to this review, August 18, 2012
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay and I hope you had a safe journey back to Rotterdam.

We take all feedback seriously and see it as an opportunity to improve and lift our service standards. Both teams - Engineering and Front Desk - have been redirected. As for the room change, I am glad the second room was more to your liking. I have passed along your comments about the food to our executive chef.

We hope in the future when you decide to visit New York you will try us again. If you have any questions and would like to discuss your stay further, please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel.

Allegria

Travelers are raving about these Long Beach hotels

New York City, New York, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

I recently planned a Ladies Luncheon at Allegria Hotel on Long Beach. I enjoy visiting the Long Beach area and saw when the building of this hotel was in progress. I knew it would be a lovely place to visit, get a bite to eat and just enjoy the beachfront area. So last Saturday afternoon, I made arrangements for a small group of my friends for Hors d'Oeuvres and lunch. We had our own waiter "John" who was very hospitable, professional, and took really good care of us. We did not stay overnight since we all live near the area, but It turned out to be such a beautiful day for us. My friends enjoyed it so much! After we ate, we took a quick tour of the hotel and even went up to the Roof Top and saw the fabulous view of the beach. What a beautiful ending to our day! We even talked about having this outing again next year....

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear valued guest

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent luncheon. I will certainly pass along the kind words to "John" your waiter.

I'm pleased that you enjoyed all that the hotel has to offer and we look forward to hosting your luncheon next year.

Should you need any assistance please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel.

San Jose, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

My husband and I have stayed here two times (Spring 2011 and Summer 2012) and would not recommend this hotel. It's over priced, the hotel staff is not impressive and the customer service was atrocious. Although the location is great, don't waste your money on this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Mike W, General Manager at Allegria Hotel, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Dear Valued Guest:

Than you for taking the time to write. Every challenge is an opportunity to improve and we realize that each guest has different expectations when they visit a hotel.

You are correct in pointing out that our location is unmatched. I wish you would have taken the time to point out your challenges. It would be my pleasure to speak with you about your stay and discuss the specifics.

Please contact me directly at the hotel.

Delray Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Went to a wedding at the Allegria after it first opened in May of 2010 -- beautiful room and bathroom, centrally located, beachfront on boardwalk. The lobby interior featured a neat staircase leading up to a bar with glass wine cellar. First time to Long Beach, NY and hope to be back!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay.

We are pleased the wedding was so memorable that you took the time to write. The management and hard working staff of the hotel appreciate your kind words and we look forward to you returning again.

Should you need any assistance, please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

I'm not even sure where to start with this review. We we staying at the Allegria for a friends wedding, the wedding itself was AMAZING. The hotel on the other hand was terrible. I'm just going to list the things and then elaborate on a few. First off, we checked in on Friday at 11:30am, our TV wasn't working, we called probably 10 times from 11:30am-6pm and had an engineer in our room 5 times. The TV never got fixed. We got back to our room after the wedding at 2am and had a note on our bed next to the remote that it was working....turned it on..it wasn't. Also, our AC wasn't working at this point and our room was about 90 degrees to the point we wouldn't even be able to sleep. My Fiance went down to the front desk and spoke with someone at 2am who moved us to another room on the 3rd floor....AT 2 AM!! We got down to that room and the AC and TV was working. This room though was an adjoining room to another room and the walls are paper thin, you can hear every single word someone says and everything from the hallways. The guy in the room next to us was puking his brains out from 2:30am-6am, so you could hear every time he threw up and flushed the toilet...it was HORRIFIC! Needless to say I didn't get any sleep. We woke up and called for a late check out because we had a brunch to attend on the roof top. They told me at the front desk they couldn't accommodate that and I went into how they should have seen the notes on our account that we had to move rooms at 2am and they then agreed that we could have a late check out. When we went to check out, they said nothing about the inconvenience, I asked them to check our account as the guy from the night before said he left notes for management. Our room was paid for ahead of time (we had to pay in full for it when we reserved) so they just wanted to send us on our way. I insisted to speak with management and they said they would have someone call us in an hour....24 hours later, no call. Honestly this hotel had the worst service I've ever seen and from the outside it looks nice but it's basically falling apart. There was no AC in the elevators, so every time you got in one you felt sick, no AC in the hallways, every other room in the hotel had AC that wasn't working that great, you knew because obviously it was hot and they had fans everywhere. Personally I will never, ever return. Not only because of the bad experience I had, but because management had nothing to say to fix it. You pay for the location and the view, which of course is great, but to me the hassle isn't worth it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Mike W, General Manager at Allegria Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to post up on Trip Advisor. We take all feedback seriously and appreciate your comments.

The wedding was a lovely affair and I know after my team spoke with the bride and groom that they had a memorable weekend.

After you checked out, I was advised by my Front Office Supervisor that you wanted to speak to the General Manager. I just got off the phone with your fiance this morning - funny that this posting appeared only minutes later. We discussed your challenges and I thanked him for the kind words about the hard working staff who attempted to rectify the issues. There are certain things we can control so, please accept my apologies for the guest that disturbed you. All of the challenges you outlined were taken care of during your stay and we agreed that you would visit the hotel again.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Decided to check out the hotel for the first time and enjoy brunch. Hotel looks beautiful and you cant beat the views! Went to the rooftop where we asked for a table. Hostess seemed really confused and her first comment was "we close at 3"....it was only 1:30 so we said that's fine. Even with open tables and no one waiting, it took 15 min for her to "find and set" a table for us. Seemed incredibly disinterested.

In the meantime we decided to sit at the bar and have a drink. The bartender was friendly and attentive even though she was working the service bar also. She explained the menu...and we let her decide on the drinks (and they were great!). She turned a very close to walking out the door experience into a good time.

One note: The pool is on the same level and we saw multiple shirtless guys going to the buffet and sushi bar to get food. Not a word was said by the hotel staff or hostess....pretty classless for a classy hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest

I appreciate you taking the time to write about your experience at our brand new rooftop brunch. We take all feedback seriously as it allows us the opportunity to improve.

The hostess has been redirected and the bartender has been commended.

Thanks again for your comments and time - we hope to welcome you again.

Allegria Hotel

Been to Allegria Hotel? Share your experiences!