“Mixed Experience at Garlock's” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 105 Restaurants in Lockport
Good for: Doing business
Dining options: Reservations
Amherst, New York, United States
“Mixed Experience at Garlock's”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

After I had read some of the reviews about Garlock's - both good and bad - I decided to related my experience there, especially after reading the review by Kathy. Kathy had a bad experience with a broken bottle top. Mine was similar but with a large piece of nut shell in my pie. This happened three years ago. My husband and I will never go to the restaurant in this lifetime, ever though we thoroughly like their open steak sandwich. Some of my friends refuse to go back because of poor quality steaks. I even told our waitress about the shell and asked her to tell management. Two days later I found that the shell had broken the root of my capped tooth. Mike, the manager, was all sypathetic but said they were not responsible. When all I tried to do was obtain from their Insurance carrier my dental and oral surgery costs, I was told I had faked it all. I had spoken to Mike over the phone, and he basically told me when " you eat any food that have shells, like nuts and seafood, you can expect shells may be in the food. That is the chance you take." Just because I did not keep the piece of shell, because I did not realize I had fully damaged the root system of that tooth, I was made out to be a liar and a fake. The restaurant should have supported their customer to the insurance adjustor, but they did not. I will not eat in a place that has the attitude that the management has - that you may have to take certain risks to eat they food they serve, whether they prepare it or just serve ready prepared foods. I agree they are over priced and the quality of the food at Garlock's is not what it was ten or more years ago. There are many great restaurants in the Lockport area. Go to one of them.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Buffalo, New York
“Gargantuan Garlocks experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

Yes, we had a enormously great time at Garlocks. As first timers, we called ahead, and were told to phone after 4:00 p.m. to reserve a table. I ordered the broiled fish special, and my spouse had the tortilla encrusted tilapia special. We were so happy to have so many fish choices on a Friday besides the typical fish fry. They had some nice house wine carafes for those who don't want to buy a more expensive bottle. The owner seated us, and the waitress was so attentive and professional. There was a young man who was quick to fill our water glasses too. The atmosphere is definitely a blast from the past, but it felt comfortable like an "old shoe". The candlelight gives a nice glow in the knotty pine rooms. It was warm and cozy inside too despite the single digit temperature outdoors. The dinner prices were reasonable too. We'll be back!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
niagara falls, ny
“good meal so so service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

we arrived 15minutes early for our 730 reservation. Stood at the entrance almost 10 minutes. We were not greeted by anyone. We finally found the podium in the back of the bar. While waiting, we ordered 2 glasses of wine at the bar. the barmaid poured the wine from the bottle into a glass THEN transferred it to a wine glass. That seemed to be the procedure as the other barmaid did the same for others. Have NEVER seen that!! Gave us back the wrong change. When we questioned it, she was clearly confused how to count change. There were plenty of empty tables in the dinning room however we waited 30 more minutes to be seated. Our waitress seemed overwhelmed with the few tables she was serving and never made eye contact with us. We both had the steak and lobster dinner which was very good but not excellent. The owner was visible the entire evening however never engaged with any of us in the dining room, dining. Simply walked around.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Burt, New York
“Anniversary dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

We celebrated our 45th anniversary on Valentine's day and had a good time. Surf & turf was very well done and service was great. Two complaints - parking is difficult and bartender doesn't know how to make a whiskey sour. Really it was the worst I've ever had.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Fairport, New York
“Average food Lousy Service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

Service was not attentive and the specialty of the house steak was just so-so. The manager was sitting right by the door and never asked how my meal was or even said goodbye. No concept of customer service.

Visited January 2014