“A wonderful country retreat” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Arnold House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Livingston Manor
The Arnold House
You added The Arnold House to your Saves list
839 Shandelee Road, Livingston Manor, NY 12758 (Formerly Lanza's Country Inn)   |
Chelmsford, England, United Kingdom
“A wonderful country retreat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2014

As many have said, the accommodation at The Arnold House is superb. A blend of the old and the new, creating a classy and cosy atmosphere - with all mod-cons. Everywhere you looked was a feast for the eyes; then you stepped outside and wow! We caught the Fall in its magnificence and enjoyed the stunning vistas: a lazy afternoon on the hammock is simply bliss.

What made my first trip to the US unforgettable though, was the team at the Arnold. When two weary travellers arrived in the Tavern, we were looked after from the word ‘go’. Chelsea seemed to be everywhere; front of house, pulling pints, serving, smiling and making sure every patron had everything they needed. Mrs T, owner of the warmest smile on the planet, couldn’t have done more to help my 82 year old mother settle in. Peter and Kerry the driving force of the bar, running a tight ship, but somehow maintaining a chilled atmosphere and were game for a laugh. Busgirls Dallas and Morgan were ever attentive.

In the kitchen talent abounds: Dan and Rich produced a varied menu, with the classic American fare I was hoping for on my stay, and some of my favourite treats, wings and calamari, were the best I’ve ever had. I must return for the BBQ ribs some day. Even when the kitchen was closed, Rich went out of his way to knock up some sensational French Soup, sandwiches and canopies for us and some guests who’s car had broken down. It was a most welcome gesture. If you like your desserts, then you are in for a treat thanks to Vanessa - the pastry chef. My mother has tasted some ‘Bread & Butter’ puddings in her time, and makes a mean one herself, but struggled to find the appropriate superlative for Nessy’s creation.

Add in the magical healing hands of Kevin in ‘The Spa’, who literally fixed me; spotless cleaning from Tanya, and Bryan keeping everything working properly, and you’d think things were about as perfect as they can get. Well you’d be wrong, since a fella named Ron who helps in the kitchen, upon hearing I’m into fishing, took me out on Shandelee Lake where I caught three pickeral within an hour - therefore putting the icing on the cake on a fantastic stay.

We came as strangers and left feeling like part of the family.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
Arnold_House, Owner at The Arnold House, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Thank you so much for your wonderful and heartfelt review! Your words brought tears to our eyes and made us even more proud of our team than we already are (and we already are SO PROUD of them!). Warm regards and best wishes. Please come visit us again soon!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2014

The two things I was searching for in my say were a good night's rest and a place to shower.

Shower:

The shower heads are very troublesome; It is a low pressure trickle of water. I believe they use the "Ez-Flo 15001 Economy Shower Head" or a very similar model. It was very difficult to get soap off of your body.

Every time my boyfriend or I would take a shower, the shower would go from scalding hot to freezing cold, from freezing cold to scalding hot, and back again -- leaving us both screaming of shock while trying to wash.
We were both unable to get warm water from the shower during our say there.

We stayed in room 7 and room 8 and tried showering both mornings and nights with the same issue.

When I asked the staff about the issue many times, they said it was because the kitchen was using the hot water as well. While I understand the explanation, I am bewildered by it. If The Arnold realizes it is an issue, why not put the rooms on a separate hot water heater than the kitchen? It's very unsafe, both my boyfriend and I were scalded by the water multiple times.

I was unable to wash my hair for the whole trip.

Rest:

The first night my boyfriend and I stayed in room 7. The walls at The Arnold are thin and the room arrangement is such that the bed of room 7 is butted against the bed of room 8 (with the wall between).

We were unable to sleep because the couple in the next room over were having a conversation till 1:30am and the male was a loud snorer. I fell asleep at 4am.

My boyfriend, a grad student who never gets any sleep, had to sleep in late on Saturday to compensate thus wasting a lot of the time we could have spent together on Saturday. This stay was supposed to provide him with a much needed rest on his birthday weekend.

I explained our night to the manager, Terri. She was very nice, but discounted our first night only after I asked; a discount of $25. In my opinion the room should have been comped for the first night.

We were moved to a different room the second night, but had to go from a king bed to a queen because of availability.

I cannot recommend The Arnold to friends, and probably will not be back unless they remedy some major kinks.

I can recommend the spa, and will be back; it was wonderful, and I will be giving it 5 stars on Trip Advisor.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2014

Growing up in California, I had only ever experienced the "real" Catskills through books and movies (and yes, I'm mostly talking about Dirty Dancing) ... That all changed this weekend ... As far as my imagination is concerned, The Arnold House has brought back the Catskills spirit and energy of the 1950's and 60's ... After a 2-hour drive from NYC, you come across a beautiful property with wood-burning stoves, Adirondack chairs, pond, firepit, wood and nature everywhere ... The best part is it is all authentic .. Although the owners are new, the building has served has a lodge/inn for decades. As another reviewer said, the retro vibe is executed effortlessly, as they've kept the spirit of the past with necessary updates: The rooms are clean, simple, and smart. The beds are new and comfortable. (The bathrooms are a bit quirky and could use some updates, which apparently is in the works.) The restaurant serves simple Americana food executed by a talented chef (trout dip, buffalo wings, burgers, shepherd's pie) - You know it's good because it was filled with locals both nights I was there. And the bar is time-tested, filled with local beers and spirits and great story-telling bartenders. (Speaking of which, I'd also recommend a visit to the nearby distillery and Brewery). Apparently they even bring in local comedy acts (there was local music the Saturday night I was there) ... We ended the night with our S'mores kits by the firepit. Although I didn't see Patrick Swayze (R.I.P), I wouldn't have been surprised if I had. This was the Catskills as I always hoped it would be.

Room Tip: The rooms furthest from the stairs are quieter.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
Arnold_House, Owner at The Arnold House, responded to this review, October 7, 2014
Hi Mark,

Thank you so much for your lovely review. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and had fun in the beautiful Catskills! Glad you like all of our new renovations and our vibe!
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2014

In full disclosure, my wife and I known the owners of The Arnold, but had not stayed their until this weekend. We visited we several friends and had the greatest Fall experience. From bonfires to horseshoes, distillery tours to barrel aged Negronis, well appointed, comfortable rooms to delicious food - they have done so much right at The Arnold House that it won't be too long until we are back.
When we arrived the first night their was a beautiful fire raging and cocktails being served in the tavern. After a few games of pool our group headed out to the fire with the complimentary s'mores kits we found in our rooms. The following day the staff at The Arnold set us up with a tour of the Catskills Brewery as well as a tour of Prohibition Distillery. That night we had dinner in the dinning room - roasted blue potatoes, kale caesar salad and perfectly cooked steaks. After dinner, a rockabilly band was playing on property which was amazing. Before heading back to NYC on Sunday we drove to The Arnold's Lakehouse for some canoeing and fishing. It was really the perfect weekend and an experience we hope to recreate in all of the seasons.

Arnold_House, Owner at The Arnold House, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor - we truly appreciate it. We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay on Shandelee.
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2014

We spent the weekend at The Arnold House and loved every moment. Beautifully designed, comfortable, amazing food, super fun/cozy tavern (so cozy that we didn't want to leave....), great yoga and one of the best massages I've ever had. We hung in the lounge, had s'mores around the fire pit......a GREAT weekend at a GREAT place.

Only 2 hours from NYC......GO THERE!

Room Tip: all great!
Arnold_House, Owner at The Arnold House, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Thank you so much for your lovely review of our inn. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and very thankful that you took the time to share your experience on trip advisor!
Pine beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2014

Stayed here one night on a beautiful fall weekend. The inn and its grounds took good advantage of the fall foliage and the location. They lit a bonfire for us in the evening which was perfect. The staff was very friendly and courteous without being obsequious. Room was clean and cleanly decorated. Although quite old, this lent it some charm. Although not a problem for us, rooms were not really quiet. Would love to go back.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your nice review of the Arnold. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay. Please come back to visit us again soon!
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

About 2hrs+ away from the city, this hotel/restaurant offers you peace and quiet without a huge price tag. Initially, it was the hotel's decor that really drew me here. It's retro vibe is executed effortlessly and doesn't come off like it's trying too hard. It all just fits so well together.

The hotel rooms upstairs (and the city of Livingston Manor itself) are perfect for a day or two. You will hear other guests coming/going while in your bedroom, but it wasn't anything that would keep us from returning. With the solarium downstairs, you're not going to want to be in your room long anyhow. I highly recommend the solarium's couch with a good book and a cocktail from the tavern.

Speaking of the tavern (Lazy Beagle)... it's adorable. It has a low-lit dining room, great food, a little area off to the side with a pool table and jukebox, and a welcoming bar with some local taps. You can even take your drinks out to the backyard where there are loungers, a hammock, and a fire pit at night.

If you need a break from NYC, The Arnold House is the perfect option.

Room Tip: Ask for one further from the stairs.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi Ryan,

Thank you so much for the lovely review of The Arnold House! We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay - and what great photos you shared of our property. Thank you so much for taking the time to share a review on trip advisor - we really appreciate it!

Been to The Arnold House? Share your experiences!