“DeBruce is really country. not suburban by a long shot.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of DeBruce Country Inn

DeBruce Country Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Livingston Manor
DeBruce Country Inn
You added DeBruce Country Inn to your Saves list
982 DeBruce Road, Livingston Manor, NY 12758   |
Frog Hollow NY
“DeBruce is really country. not suburban by a long shot.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2011

the reason why there is no WIFI is because it's miles/kilometers beyond the nearest Internet connection. it's in the middle of the NYS Catskill Forest and part of the NYC water system including Neversink, Delaware, Willowemoc, Mongaup... etc catchment area. WIFI and I believe cell phones don't reach this far into the area because the NY State constitution sets aside this region as wilderness... one of the few east coast wilderness preserves. when i was a kid in the 40s and 50s there were hotels farms factories but that's all gone. 60 years ago there was an airport a train station, industrial poultry farms, huge hotels. now all gone. no place like DeBruce anywhere. nearby artists abound. birds wildflowers wild berries wild animals. i've seen wild mink. eagles heron [never saw a turkey] pheasant deer galore. not too far from Dai Bosatsu Zendo. [30 40 minute drive] DeBruce NY is in Wikipedia. Have a B&B in Turkey. I am a photographer and this place is beyond photogenic. I don't understand really some of the reviews which say it isn't modern and urbanized and hilton hotel like really. you want Hilton, go to Central Park and feed those ducks. I've never stayed in a better place of its type. Didn't eat there, as I have strict dietary restrictions and am Muslim so unless I know who killed the animal bird or fish I can't eat it. On labor day Weekend there is the annual DeBruce Family Parade. Deer season and trout season. [I'm not permitted to hunt for sport.] Actually Dry fly fishing was invented here at the junction of Mongaup and Willowemoc. around 1840-50. and the split cane trout rod was used here in the early nineteenth century. You gotta go to Maine or West Virginia for wilderness wilder than this. don't tell the owners i mentioned them. [i am not on speaking terms].

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2010

What a cozy, charming, and competitively-priced B&B I discovered the DeBruce Country Inn to be this past summer as I scouted local places for my dear, high-maintenance sister-in-law. She stayed here over several nights with her toddler son and gave it high marks for spotless accommodations, tranquil charm, and gracious hosts. The art displayed in the public spaces is breathtaking, the work of its co-proprietor, and I was quick to visit his website, as soon as I learned of it, to replace the “wallpaper” on my desktop. I heartily recommend the DeBruce on all criteria!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Juliustown, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the DeBruce Country Inn for a leisurely weekend of fly fishing; we could not have been more delighted. The Inn is a step back in time to when service mattered. We found Ron and Marilyn to be very attentive hosts who made us feel not only welcome, but like family. After several hours on the Willowemoc we unwound in the Dry Fly Lounge downstairs, and I could have stayed there much longer sharing stories with Marilyn, but we were summoned to the glassed-in terrace dining room which overlooks a pond and amazing foliage. Our dinner was exquisite with a wine list to match. I was prepared at breakfast to simply graze on all the fresh fruit, sure I could not eat another bite, but then I smelled Ron's home fried potatoes - delicious!
The decor is very un-intimidating - cozy and esoteric. Ron and Marilyn are both artists, and it shows in all they do. They have skillfully blended their contemporary tastes in art with traditional Catskill furnishings and architecture.
When you're looking for a restful place to "get away from it all", leave your attitude at the door, and enjoy; because this is it!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Thomaston, Maine
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2010

I've stayed in worse places, but they didn't cost this much either. Don't get me wrong, the place is clean, though a bit on the shabby side of old fashioned, but the decor is bizarre ! Different old wallpaper on every wall, not a textile in any room matches. Stripes, flowers, florals, ancient framed prints like your grandmother would buy, a cane-backed rocker with a doily/antimacassar stitched over the blown-out back.
The breakfast was okay; we did not have dinner.
PS: The toilets do not flush well.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

The DeBruce is a Catskill Inn that is in the traditionof the boarding houses that catered to fisherman from 1880 until the 1950's. The Inn boasts its own private fly fishing only stretch of the Willowemoc Creek, one of the finest trout streams on the East Coast. Thet season runs from April 1st, but is usually too cold until May. By July 1st the water is low and too hot for trout. The Inn is also popular with turkey, grouse and deer hunters.

While lacking tv or phones in the rooms or WIFI, there is a huge tv in the bar for those in need. There is no cell phone signal.

The breakfast is superb with a vast array of fresh fruit, preserves, home made baked goods and the usual cooked fare. Also included in the tarrif is dinner which is copius and wholesome though uneven.

Dogs are welcome by prior arrangement for a nightly fee of $10.

There is an outdoor pool, unheated but very clean, and a sauna. The grounds are extensive and well cared for.

The dining room features a breathtaking view of verdant hills. A pond under the dining room window attracts ducks and other birds: we saw wood ducks, goldfinches and swallows while we were there.

The rooms are clean and cosy with a period feel. Not for people demanding luxury of a prissy variety.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2008

Stayed here for a weekend this summer. Inn was clean and owners very nice people, very chatty with the guests but not in an intrusive way.

Breakfast was outstanding and included just about everything you could imagine. Dinner was good but not outstanding. They gave us a choice of entrees (various meats and I think fish) - the meat we chose was not good, though we didn't complain or try to send it back. The salad and soup and especially the bread were wonderful though. Food service was prompt and friendly, and they had a nice wine list for a place so far out in the country.

Rooms were a bit small (at least the one we stayed in was, and my understanding is that they are all about the same size though I could be wrong) and didn't have a very luxurious feeling. It felt more like going to your grandma's house rather than a fabulous country inn. But I didn't feel misled and pretty much got what I expected. And, for the price (which is per person, not per room) it wasn't a bad deal seeing as it included both breakfast and dinner.

There is a living room with many shelves of books where you are welcome to hang out. The room was nice enough but my one suggestion would be that the owners rearrange it to make it a little neater and cozier - would be more inviting. There were some random piles of junk laying around the room which took away from the ambiance quite a bit.

Bathroom in our room was nice with a large claw foot tub - good for a nice soak.

All in all a pleasant enough place with friendly owners. I wouldn't rush back there only because I like something a little more country-luxurious. But if you like a down home place that is welcoming and friendly with good service, it's perfectly fine.

• Liked — Friendly owners
  • Disliked — Room furnishings
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to DeBruce Country Inn? Share your experiences!