“Cockroach Hotel” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Liverpool
Picton, Canada
“Cockroach Hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

Stayed Friday night--woke up to find a cockroach in the bathroom. Wasted most of the morning waiting for the cleaning staff to come up to the room to confirm that it was in fact a cockroach.
Offered another room in same hotel. We requested to move over to the Staybridge with is attached to the Holiday Inn. Again this consumed most of our morning that we had previously planned to do shopping!!! Informed that the Pest Control people would be coming in to spray!!
Requested GM phone me at home. His take was that it was only ONE cockroach and it probably came from the previous guests in the room!! Nice to know the management likes to shift the blame!! Would NEVER stay at this hotel again. Used points, so they generously have said they will reimburse my own points back to me! Front desk said hotel has not been renovated in 5 years when we checked in. Maybe that was a sign of things to come!! Not an enjoyable weekend--thanks to Holiday Inn!

Room Tip: Inspect for cockroaches when you enter the room!!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Jeremiah T, Manager at Holiday Inn Syracuse/Liverpool Airport Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
We here at the Holiday Inn take all of our guests concerns and problems very seriously. We want to again apologize for the unfortunate experience you had during your recent stay. We want to assure you that we are proud that our property takes preventive measures to ensure we do not have outbreaks of pests. This is done by a professional pest control company on a weekly basis. Unfortunately a pest can sometimes sneak in through various means. We wanted to assure you that the refund of your points was for both nights so that if desired you can book two nights at no charge during your future travels. We appreciate the feedback and as always will use it to help better our property and staff for our guests.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Altamont, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Nice facility, Restaurant had very good food - better than you'd expect at a hotel - most of meals I ate there. All staff was very accomdating. Room was comfortable. Bathroom was a little small and toilet was at angle.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

This is not what we expected. We reserved this location as we were going to attend an event in there conference center. I reserved for two nights (Friday / Saturday), when we arrived they only had one night reserved for us. I was told that the hotel was very busy because of multiple groups and they would see if they could accommodate us. MY reservation said two night (I had printed it before leaving) so I was not going to accept one night. We had reserved a room for people with disabilities, when we arrived we were informed that they only have accessible rooms with one double bed (there was three of us). The hotel does not have accessible rooms with more then one bed. It would have been nice to know this before we arrived. The front desk staff was less then helpful. We were given a room on the 4th floor with two double beds. The bathroom was so small that you could not open the door completely, the toilet was in the way. The toilet itself was on an angle so that you could open the bathroom door part of the way. The tub is not a standard size. My seven year old could sit in it, but you would have to be a very small adult to be able to sit in the tub (for showers it was OK just don't plan on lifting your arms). The bathroom ceiling was max. 7 feet high. The sink was a mini sink as well. The room itself was nice and clean the bed were very soft (seemed like foam)

The pool is nice and big (deep as well). They do have an attendant for the pool, not exactly sure what she was suppose to do. She sat at a desk and watched TV or a movie or something on her tablet or Ipod the whole time we were there, with a head set on. My daughter slipped on the pool deck at one point and the attendant never noticed. She was not too impressive.

There was a group of dancer that was staying in the hotel both nights. The one group was large, quiet and very respectful (that was the Friday night). The other group of dancers not so much. Not sure what type of dance the second group was but it was special. There was teenage girls running around the floors / lobby and other public areas wearing very skimpy short (short shorts would me an understatement) and there skimpy bras. Most of them were not wearing shoes and there behavior was unacceptable. They were dressed like this in the lobby in plain sight of the front desk. There was behavior was inappropriate for a family oriented location and the staff did and said nothing to them. I was not able to bring my daughter to the pool on the Saturday night because of the behavior of this group, and again nothing was being done by any of the staff. I pointed out the problem to the front desk and there response was that there was nothing they could do as these were paying guest. I pointed out that I was also a paying guest who did not want to be exposed to bumping and grinding in public areas (not sure if it was part of there dances or just what they thought was fun but I did not need my 7 year old exposed to it).

The room itself is OK, if you don't mind a tiny bathroom. The location is OK as well. What made it bad was the attitude of the staff and that second group of dancers. Like I said the group on the Friday night was fine. Had the staff been more helpful and done something about the behavior and attire of the dancers on the Saturday night it would not have been so bad. I am not sure if I would stay there again. I will have to think about it when I am back in that area.

PS. There is a Wegmans grocery store that is not far away (5 min. by car) that has an amazing selection of ready made food and a really nice sandwich counter as well. If you don't want to eat out that is a great option to pick up and bring back to your room.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Syracuse/Liverpool Airport Hotel, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear Harmadoune,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. Our aim is to provide excellent guest experiences however it is unfortunate to know that we were not able to meet your expectations on this occasion. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience you may have had with the state of the room that you were given and service received being sub par. Your comments will be shared with the hotel management and appropriate action will be taken to rectify these instances.

Once again, thank you for your feedback. We hope you can give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

We stayed at this hotel this past wknd for 2 nights. It is located directly off the I-90 with convenient access to the Destiny USA (5mins), the zoo (15mins), Heid's of Liverpool (5mins) and Dinosaur BBQ (15mins), which were are main reasons for coming to Syracuse. This hotel has a convention centre and so it was quite busy, however the convention goers seem to have their own space and food service not impacting our stay in any way. The front desk staff were professional, nothing spectacular, but they did their jobs as required. The room was updated and spacious, and while it was non smoking it surpassed my expections in that it didn't have any smell at all. No cheap deodorizer smell which can become over powering, just fresh smelling. I read reviews about the bed sinking in the middle and I did notice this, but I found it a comfortable night sleep and I would say its based on personal preference as to whether this would bother you. I will say that the bathroom was small, but had I not read all the other reviews I probably wouldn't have even noticed as it served its function. Everything was clean and you could see that it had been cleaned by the smudge marks. There was a big gob of toothpaste on the faucet, which was suprising that anyone could miss it and when we drained the tub after the kids bath it took a very long time to drain, but these were small issues that didn't impact my opinion of the overall experience. We did use the pool and it was quite large, clean and "warm" in comparison to other hotel pools. It has not stairs only ladders, so you have no choice but to just get in so maybe that made it seem warmer. It is quite deep, 4ft-9ft. They did have a lot of postings and literature about no life guards on duty, however there was an employee with a first aid kit sitting at a table watching movies on her phone, so i wouldn't say she was a lifeguard, but in charge of towels? We ate breakfast in the restaurant, It was $10.95 for buffet, which was the usual hashbrowns, sausage, bacon, yogurt, cereal etc. Greasy all american breakfast. It didn't meet my standards of quality or selections but there are menu options as well. Kids eat free which is helpful when they just want cereal and fruit. If you are a IHG rewards member you get $5 off breakfast, but you may have to mention it, I don't think its offered. I put that savings toward the staff who were very friendly, helpful and accomodating in the restaurant and we were pretty much the only ones ever in there. Overall I was very pleased with this hotel, it is updated for the most part, clean and reasonably priced. We are Fairfield Inn/Hampton Inn or Country Inn customers and rarely stay at Holiday Inn brand, however I would absolutely return here as it was well priced, convenient and well maintained.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Albany, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Just back from a three day educational conference at the Holiday Inn Liverpool, NY

Location: the hotel is kitty-corner across the street from the Thruway exit 37 and 5 miles from the airport (there is a free airport shuttle). There is a drug store immediately next door, and several fast food places within walking distance. There is a wonderful Wegman’s grocery store about 2 miles away that has a large Café area with lots of hot food choices.

Accessibility: there are no stairs into the hotel. The conference facilities are on the first floor, as is the restaurant/bar. There are two large passenger elevators that would be large enough to accommodate the largest power wheelchair.

Room: I had a room with two double beds. The room also contained a TV stand, a small desk and desk chair, and a lounge chair with ottoman. WiFi is provided free in all rooms and conference areas. While there was enough room for me, a larger person, or someone with assistive devices or wheelchair might have found it challenging. The room was immaculately clean. Smoking is not allowed inside the hotel which was a definite positive for me. There is a coffee maker, but no tea bags were provided. As I do not drink coffee, this was a negative for me. The walls are not particularly thick, and I was awakened several times during the night when loud (as in drunk) persons came down the hall talking, and some ended up in the room next to mine.

The bathroom was incredibly small! The toilet is angled from one corner so that the door will close. I am quite small, and there was barely room for me to turn around (literally) in the bathroom. Conversations with my colleagues indicated that the bathroom was pretty standard, and the larger individuals among us were VERY unhappy with the arrangement. There is NO WAY someone with an assistive device or a wheelchair would even be able to get into the bathroom. Luckily I was staying by myself, because I cannot imagine more than one person was trying to get ready in the morning! There is no outlet by the only mirror outside of the bathroom, and only one (small) person can stand and use the mirror in the cramped bathroom. Four people in this room (given the room and the bathroom size) would be tripping over each other, and getting ready for bed, or to go somewhere would be a logistical nightmare.

Restaurant: Many of us ate at least one evening in the hotel restaurant. Prices are very reasonable for the size of the portion. Companion 1 had the fried haddock and French fries, which also came with a reasonable salad. The haddock was at least a ½ pound fillet, nicely cooked. Companion 2 had a burger (looked to be about 1/3 pound). The burger was cooked as ordered (medium rare), and was declared to be quite tasty. Companion 3 had French Onion Soup. It was presented in a medium size crock with a heavy topping of melted cheese and bread. As I was not very hungry, I ordered the appetizer of fried calamari as my meal. It was a very large portion, with nicely fried rings and tentacles served with both cocktail and tartar sauce. As an appetizer it would have easily served 3 or 4; as a meal I could only finish about 2/3s of the dish. Quite the bargain at $8.99. The wait staff was attentive without being over bearing.

Issues: On the last day of the stay check out was at 11 AM. Management knew that I was participating in the educational conference (there was a conference rate and one had to state with the reservation that they were attending the conference), and that the time of 10:30AM to 11 AM had been set aside for participants to check out. After attending an early morning presentation, I returned to my room to find that it had already been stripped and cleaned. Regrettably that “stripping” included some jewelry that was on the bedside stand. I was able to track down the housekeeper in another room, and when confronted she did produce the jewelry from her pocket. Perhaps she had it there for safe keeping until she could put it in lost and found – one can only hope. However, IMHO, it is not reasonable for the housekeeping staff to clean and strip a room when the occupant has not yet checked out.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Syracuse/Liverpool Airport Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear Mrs-K-albany,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We are sorry for the shortfalls you have experienced during your stay. Your comments are highly valuable and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. Rest assured, your comments will be used for review and actions will be taken accordingly to ensure similar incidents could be avoided.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this property for one night and attended a conference the next day

Rooms: Overall the rooms are in good condition, I stayed in room 627 which was a standard king. Furniture,carpet and decor is up to date with a fresh feeling as you enter. The bathroom is small but lets face it, we would all rather have more bedroom/living space if we have to sacrifice some of the bathroom. It seems when the room was last renovated the only thing that was updated in the bathroom was the vanity. All other areas don't quite match the granite work top.

The cleanliness in the room was good except for one small hair on the sink, one towel which was torn and the bedroom garbage can was not cleaned properly. It seems the inspection procces fell a little short here! The bed was comfortable, the mattress was replaced recently, the sheets we fresh and clean and there were no sign of bed bug activity

Guest service: I was checked in by Kelly who was warm and welcoming. I was acknowledged as an IHG reward member and the check in was quick and efficient. I observed the manager on duty assisting the guest service staff with check in. Nice to see a manager at the desk!

The phone was answered within 3 rings each time, I called for a wake up call which was promptly entered and delivered on time the next morning.
I requested tooth paste and I was asked to come down and pick it up. This was a little frustrating as most guests request this when they have just stepped out of the shower. A hotel of this size should have a runner as it was only 9pm. I also noticed they had a card in the room offering a choice of pillows and that you just had to dail 0 and it would be delivered to the room. This confused the toothpaste situation a little more. I booked transportation and stored my luggage with Artrell the next morning, he was very pleasant and used my name as I left the hotel following the conference. This made me feel valued!

Restaurant: I had dinner in the restaurant the evening of my arrival. The service was promt and efficient. I ordered the Prime Rib which was excellent, it came with mashed potatoes which were also good. The vegetable medley was very poor, there seemed to have been no effort on the part of the chef to this essential accompaniment to a good steak dinner.

At breakfast the next morning I had the buffet which was very reasonably priced. All items were very good except for the cold French toast with cold syrup. The breakfast service was also very good.

In general this is a great hotel with many good features and a nice location. Some points to note for management include. Better room inspection. My room could have been a 100 if not for a few minor details, the elevator tracks need to be cleaned and engineering needs to do some paint touch ups in the public spaces. Consider changing the dead bolts when cap ex comes around, they look outdated compared to the room

You should commend Kelly, Artrell and Jim. They are an asset to your Team!

• Stayed October 2013
HolidayInnLiverpool, Manager at Holiday Inn Syracuse/Liverpool Airport Hotel, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Thank you so much for such a great review! All of the details that you provided are extremely helpful to us. Not only can we work on the things that were not up to par but we can congratulate the team members that did an excellent job. We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay and we certainy hope to see you in the future! Thank you again.
Austin, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

This is a pretty standard Holiday Inn, although it could use some touching up. Example - the shower curtain was torn in several places (where the opaque part buttons on to the clear part). The bathroom was so tiny they had to put the toilet on a diagonal to make it fit. But it was clean and comfortable, and I'd stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel. We are happy to hear that the cleanliness of your room met your expectations. Thank you for informing us of the other issues with your room so we can get them taken care of. We hope that you'll stay with us again on your next visit to Syracuse.

Been to Holiday Inn Syracuse/Liverpool Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!