“Great value! I am coming back here again.” 5 of 5 stars

The Maplewood Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   400 Seventh North Street, Liverpool, NY 13088   |
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Liverpool
Greenwich, Connecticut, USA
“Great value! I am coming back here again.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I just finished a three day business trip to Syracuse and stayed here. I intend to stay here again when I return in December. This hotel is a great value.

For the negative reviews I cannot disagree with them, but a resourceful business traveler can navigate around some of the pitfalls. To avoid the noise coming from the bar/restaurant try getting a room on the other side of the hotel. The ground floor is the most convenient.

Yes, the premises are not the most glamorous/new. The towels are small. The cleaning service is not perfect. However, for the rates they charge, the place is of value.

I appreciate the ever present coffee urn in the lobby. The location is only a five minute drive to SU.

Final comment: when I checked in on Tuesday night, one of the worst days I had experienced the whole year, Michelle at the front desk could not have been nicer. It is the kindness she showed me went a long way and one of the two reasons why I will stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
East Bethany, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We stayed for only one night at this hotel and I don't expect I'll remember the name the next time I need to go to Syracuse.

Rooms

The first room we booked into smelled of cigarette smoke and industrial cleaner. Clearly they had had a smoking patron and tried to cover it up by cleaning it well. No dice, as I get headaches from secondhand smoke. They moved us into an identical room which smelled just fine. The room is fair-sized and comfortable with nice beds and plenty of hot water. If we had a complaint, it was that there was very little lighting in the room. Clearly the fixtures were made for larger bulbs (or perhaps incandescent bulbs), and did not fully light the room.

Amenities

Our children are half fish, so we checked out the pool even though we arrived late. The pool is smallish and not professionally built or maintained. It appears to be one of those prefabricated plastic pools designed for a backyard, sunk into concrete. It was crowded at several points. Of more concern was the fact that the railing leading into the pool was not properly secured. I almost fell getting in and again, getting out. Still, it was clean and warm.

There was a live band in the cafe Friday evening, which was quite loud all the way down to the lobby. The music sounded good, but we were glad that our room was on the other side of the hotel. Once we reached the third floor, we heard nothing of it.

We opted for the buffet breakfast in the morning. It had its good and bad points. Bad points were that the selection was extremely limited. There was no fruit of any kind - fresh or canned - and no cereal, granola or yogurt options. The buffet consisted of cold pastries, bagels and muffins, hot scrambled eggs, sausage patties, hash browns and french toast slices; and a beverage bar of orange juice & coffee. Good points were that it was reasonably priced ($5.95) and the food was hot where it should be hot, cold where it should be cold and generally tasty. We've had worse.

The front desk was courteous and gladly offered to switch out our room when we initially had a problem. They did not have robes available and we didn't avail ourselves of any other services. We did find the room and the hotel to be clean and comfortable, if dated.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

My parents and I stayed at this hotel for the second annual Empre Marathon. The night prior to the race, the hotel bar was extremely loud along with the parking lot. The bar seems to be a local "hangout" in my opinion. Further, the hotel promised a special early breakfast on their website at 5am for runners. No breakfast was ever set up and I check on numerous occasions. Overall, a poor investment, I will not stay here again for next years race.

• Stayed October 2012
Whitestone, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I only stayed at Maplewood for one night, but had a great experience. I had an interview in Syracuse, and it was quick and easy to travel there from the hotel. I forgot a binder I needed for my interview. The staff at the front desk staff (Brian and Matt) very kindly offered to deliver my folder to me at the location of my interview through their shuttle service, taking significant stress off of me. The facilities were also very clean and spacious. It was also very convenient to have a bar/restaurant on the ground floor of the building. Overall, my stay at Maplewood Inn was great.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

We've stayed here in the past. This is a great hotel to stay at if you are travelling with kids. There is a nice little pool. Staff is extremely friendly. The rooms are clean and the beds are comfortable. Even though this place seems to be popular with kid sports teams, we have never had any issues with noise.

My only negative comment would be that the warm buffet style breakfast offered at $5.99 is not very good. Other than that we will definitely stay here again'

• Stayed September 2012
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

For $135, I think I would have been better served at a national discount chain. Here's my beef: The woman who checked me in could only be described as surly. She was efficient and competent, but absolutely grim. Not a great first impression.

The room was large and clean, but I literally gagged on the smell of lemon cleaner/furniture polish. I was meant to be travelling with my Mother, who has asthma and issues with heavy scent - she could not have stayed in this room. I have no such problems, but could barely stand it myself. If my Mom had been with me, as planned, I would have had to move rooms or move hotels.

Breakfast was only a buffet option, which at $5.95 was a bargain. However, the selection was limited to ice cold, rubbery scrambled eggs, blueberry bagels, sweet pastries and bacon and sausage, No fruit, no toast, no cereal, no yogurt. The eggs were inedible as was the pastry.

I travel a lot, for business and for vacation and this hotel really just annoyed me. I wish I had made a different choice.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

This hotel is close to many attractions.It is located right next to 81, and a minute from the thruway. Tully's restaurant is across the street-a good,casual place to eat with a game room for the kids. It is only a few minutes from Destiny mall, and Syracuse University.The rooms were fine. It has a free breakfast and a restaurant. The bar had entertainment at night which we enjoyed(This was in August). The pool is about the size of a hot tub-if pools are your thing pass on this hotel. Also, if you want quiet,this is not your hotel. The bands in the bar don't go past 10 or 11, but they are noisy in some of the rooms. We,however,really enjoyed the atmosphere and being able to meet in the bar or outside patio in the evening. It made it easy for our large group to get together at the end of the day.The lobby is nice and serves lemonade and coffee. We enjoyed our stay, and would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the music if it will bother you.