“Clean overnight stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Liverpool
Hamilton
“Clean overnight stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

We stayed overnight at the Maplewood Inn on our trip home from Massachussetts. We arranged the hotel through hotwire, so I cannot comment on the value of the room for the price (we paid through hotwire approximately $90 for the night). The hotel was clean and looked new. The pool was heated which was nice but generally very small. The beds were very comfortable and the staff friendly. The food at the restaurant was good. Some of the menu items seemed overpriced, but my husband ordered a large Chicken Bacon Ranch pizza for $14.99 and it was very good and a generous portion size - enough to feed 2.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Brunswick, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

My family and I stayed here in February. We've stayed at several hotels in the area in the last few years, and I must say I wish we had tried this one previously. Rooms were very large, beds comfortable, and bath/shower worked well & had great soaps. Air conditioner was a bit musty but I could see active renovations going on. I would stay again. In comparison with the other hotels in that area I would say this place is the best value.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

My wife and I stayed in the jacuzzi suite on our wedding night. From the time we got to the hotel, until our departure the next morning, we had a splendid first night together. Every encounter we had with the staff was very pleasant. The suite was spacious and great. everything was clean and we have no complaints.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2011

This is an older motel that has been refurbished a little and renamed an "Inn". Problems with the room included: a very loud blower for air conditioning unit, not particularly clean but not horrible (it didn't smell clean, dust on the lamp, a hair hanging from the towel rack), only a few tv stations, breakfast was mediocre (advice to hotel--it would be a big improvement to get the coffee from the dunkin' donuts across the street). In its favor, the internet connection is free and worked well and its convenient (but just about everywhere in Syracuse is convenient). It's really a fine lower end motel and definately not what you would expect in a "nice" motel. Given the economy in Syracuse and the number of available rooms, it's surprising how how expensive motels are but if you want a nice, fresh place, I think you need to spend the extra $30 a night.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the restaurant.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Ottawa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2011

Don't let the photos fool you. This Inn needs a make over, big time. Staff, well, not friendly, rude. Towel rack in bathroom ready to fall off the wall. Never again!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2010

Found this on Expedia while driving through NY toward Niagara Falls. Conveniently located near several major highways, this hotel really doesn't look much from the outside (esp on a cold November night), and we were initially a little put off at finding out that there was to be a planned power-outage for a half hour the following morning (not the hotel's fault -- there was maintenance being done on the local power grid), and then were a little concerned at a strong cigarette odor in the hallway (we stayed on the ground floor), BUT the room was impeccably clean, the bathroom looked like it had been recently renovated, and the bed was very comfy. Nothing fancy, the usual 3-star amenities, but the small details had been attended to with care. The breakfast buffet was good, and the desk staff friendly. Can't really ask for more than that for less than $100 a night.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Manhattan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2010

I've stayed at this hotel 4 times. Each time it gets worse. I won't return. Three times I stayed in the "right" wing (turn Right once or twice off the elevator). I never heard my neighbors. The last time I stayed in the "left" wing (turn right then left off the elevator). On that visit, I heard everything in the hallways and everything my neighbors were saying and doing inside their rooms. Very thin walls.

I used the guest laundry and that was nice. Free parking is nice. They have rented space to a restaurant that operates on the premises and they have good food. There is a pool that I've never used. They have one computer in the front lobby that is FREE to use for all registered guests. The hotel is clean and well located.

So, what's the problem? They overcharged my credit card. There were 2 very rude front desk clerks. There was an even ruder supervisor of catering sales who stepped in to handle the problem. I finally ended up sitting in the office of the hotel general manager. I've never had that happen before. I can think of better ways to spend my time.

The general manager (male) talked over me and ignored all my complaints about the rude front desk clerk. He offered to give me a voucher for a free night but I never got that in the mail as promised. PRIOR to check-out time, I was telephoned in my room and threatened that there would be a financial charge made to my credit card if I was more than 15 minutes late leaving the room. 15 minutes!!!!

First of all, it was almost an hour BEFORE check-out when this threat was made. I never asked or indicated that I wouldn't be checking out exactly on time if not before. So, why bring this up? I wasn't late. I wasn't planning on being late! I did NOT request late check-out...so just call and threaten me anyway for good measure.

Needless to say, when I finally arrived at the front desk to check-out, I wasn't very happy. This hotel has been going down hill for years. There is an brand new Holiday Inn just built about one mile down the road. I was waiting for construction to finish.

Go down the road and don't bother stopping at The Maplewood Inn to have your credit card abused and to be threatened with an imaginary "late check-out" fee.

I only got my money back when I challenged the hotel to show me in writing where I ever signed or they ever posted this strange policy of charging after 15 minutes of tardiness. They couldn't produce either. I doubt if any other hotel in America has this policy. Extra charges don't usually start until you check out 2 hours late. And I have seen that policy in writing several times so I'm not guessing or pulling a random number out of the air.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo

Been to The Maplewood Inn? Share your experiences!