“Nice food, wouldn't go again” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
“Nice food, wouldn't go again”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

My lasagna was nice (although exactly the same cheese, sauce and meat as my mushroom starter - my fault ordering similar I guess), no complaints with anything, but with soooo many other places to eat in Syracuse I won't be going back.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Buffalo, NY
“Not as impressed as others...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

This was my second visit to Santangelo's while in Syracuse for work (first review, though.)
I returned because I had fond memories of my first visit last year, when I was seated in a cozy booth in the bar area and the server was excellent and food pretty good, if not memorable.

Last night, when I went back it was a little before the main dinner hour and I was seated in the large back room by myself at a small corner table that was pushed up against a dividing wall, directly under an A/C vent.

I get it -- rooms are generally square and seating is placed to optimize the space, but ATTENTION RESTAURANT OWNERS EVERYWHERE: Either learn how to adjust the baffles on your ceiling vents to prevent them from blowing directly on your patrons and their meals, or put a fake tree in the breezy corner instead of a table for 2!

OK, where was I .....Oh yeah. Needless to say, I moved to the other side of my table facing the wall to avoid having stale A/C air blowing on me as I ate.

Service was OK, this time, but not as friendly as the older woman who waited on me previously in the bar room. I heard guests that came in after me being told about dinner specials that I was not made aware of.

My selection was prepared well, but not exactly what I thought I had ordered. The pasta was covered in a cream-and-cheese-heavy pink sauce, that drowned the small pieces of chicken that were mixed in. It was served warm and quickly enough and tasted OK, but I was distracted trying to figure out how many calories I might be ingesting, and had to stop half way through.

The meal was accompanied by a small house salad and a basket of bread. My only beef with the crusty bread was that it was only cut half way through, and required both hands to pull it apart, getting crumbs all over the place.

As you can tell, it was an off night for me, and disappointing compared to my previous visit.
I will give it one more shot, as there is still one more item on the menu I would like to try -- but I will ask to be seated in the bar area booth away from the ceiling vent, and make sure the words cream or cheese are not in my menu selection.

If that fails, I will return to other favorite restaurants in town.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
South Deerfield
“Great flavors ... good variety ... great staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

We loved the unique Italian flavors. Two of us ordered pasta dishes ... excellent. The salads, bothe garden and cesar were full of flavor. Not too much food. Nice ambiance as well.

Visited August 2012
Ottawa, Canada
“a top-notch italian restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

During my recent stay in Liverpool, my family and I went in search of a good restaurant close to our hotel in Liverpool. After a third restaurant try on a Saturday night, Santangelo's caught our eye as we were driving in east Syracuse. We were greeted by a friendly hostess, who regretfully told us there was an hour's wait in the dining room; but offered to look for a table in the bar/lounge area. Fortunately, we were able to get a table right away, and as they offered the same menu in the bar; it was a great dining experience. The food was superb and the service prompt and professonal. The only *small* thing I would comment on (and it's a minor thing) is the bread is store-bought instead of home-made; and because of the superior food, it was noticeable.
The cost was very reasonable for 3 people; and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. I would definitely include this restaurant in any Syracuse stay in future; and recommend to my friends.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ottawa, Canada
“Great food (gluten-free!), service and location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Close to the Hampton Inn near the Carousel Mall, we really enjoyed our dinner at Santangelo's and would recommend it highly. The server even caught on to my search for wheat-free items and the chef adjusted one of the main courses to provide a wonderful gluten-free pasta and shrimp dish. Service was fast, helpful and friendly. Definitely worth a visit.

• Visited August 2012