“Did not want to leave” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Liverpool
Amherstburg, Canada
“Did not want to leave”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Wow, did we have a suite of a lifetime. What can I say, the suite was huge. Everything was there. The kitchenette had a stove, full size fridge, microwave, coffee maker, dishwasher and everything needed to cook and eat. The washroom was split with the toilet and tub in one room and the sink in another. The king-sized bed was comfortable and very clean. The whole room was neat and tidy. The hotel was also dog friendly and provided a doggy area. We don't normally eat breakfast but did this day. Fantastic spread. The hotel is attached to the Holiday Inn where they have the restaurant. The staff was very friendly and the food was fantastic. If ever in Syracuse again we would definately stay at the Staybridge Suites. We have always stayed at the Holiday Inn's when travelling; now we will be staying at the Staybridge.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Our family was looking for a hotel in the Syracuse area, and we happened upon the Staybrige Suites in Liverpool. We were a bit unsure since we had never heard of this hotel chain, but we saw that it was in the same family of hotels as Holiday Inn, so we took a chance since the combination of price and amenities was right. Boy, am I glad we took that chance.

We were able to book a two bedroom suite for $179, which was a heck of a deal. We were specifically looking for a suite, so that we could put our two young boys to bed at a decent hour, without having to sit in silent darkness like we have had to do in past hotel rooms. This room was perfect for this.

The suite featured two completely separate bedrooms, each with their own bathroom and flat screen tv's. The kids' bedroom had two double beds, and ours had a king bed. There was a common area in between which featured a third flat-screen tv and pull out couch and a small kitchen complete with a microwave, refrigerator with ice maker, dish washer, garbage disposal in the sink, coffee maker, and two burner stove. Although we did not do any cooking, there were a small assortment of dishes if you wanted to cook. All countertops in the kitchen and bathrooms were granite.

The hotel, in general, was very modern. The fitness room had a nice selection of cardio and weightlifting equipment, and there was a free laundry. The hotel was connected to the holiday inn and the two shared a pool. The indoor pool was decent, and heated, and the kids liked it. BTW the huge Syracuse Mall is very close, and I think that they run a free shuttle to it.

We took advantage of the free breakfast buffet, and that was really good. There was a really nice selection of hot and cold items. The kids really liked making their own waffles.

My wife commented that it was the nicest hotel room that we had ever stayed in, and that we will have to look for rooms like this in the future.

The only cons that I can think of is that the signage to the hotel is a bit limited, so you have to figure out that the Staybrige is behind the Holiday Inn Convention Center. Also, the mattress was a bit hard for my taste, but my wife and kids slept fine. Also, the heater was a bit noisy since the mechanical closet that it was in was in our room.

Bottom line is that this is a great place to go if you have kids and are looking for a suite. We will definitely look for more Staybrige suites in the future.

Room Tip: The two bedroom suite is great for a family!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We stayed here for one night, and had a great stay. The room was large and well maintained. The amenities were great. The staff was very helpful as well.
The full hot breakfast was a very nice added touch. Much better than a continental breakfast that most hotels offer.
The only downside is that the bed was hard. And I don't mean a bit firm, but it was really hard. It didn't even really cushion when you sat on it. I am not sure why there would be such a hard bed in a new hotel like this, but I hope it's something that gets fixed soon. If it wasn't for that, it would have definately been a perfect stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Phila. Pa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We had to drive to Canada, and stopped in the Syracuse area on the way. Checked this property online, and was quite pleased with what I found. The staff was great, and helpful with restaurant choices...The hotel was spotless, and I was thrilled to find the boxspring, on the bed, covered with a plastic covering. I'm a leary traveling when I'm pulling off the highways, and this was a pleasant surprise. Will check out Staybridge Suites whenever I travel.

Room Tip: We had a two bedroom suite, but I'm sure they are all nice.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Bury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

we have been travelling from Boston via NH and Niagara Falls NY and had booked in the Staybridge for one night on our way back to Boston. We have stayed in many Staybrisge suites over the years and they never fault to deliver good service, clean rooms, comfy bed, good shower and a good breakfast. This one is one of the best . Nearly new, with room service from the Holiday Inn next door, a pool, gym laundry etc and supper served 3 nights per week, meat balls, pasta, salad last night.
We had a disappointing stay in Niagara Falls and this thankfully was just as expected. If you need a hotel in the area we would thoroughly recommend it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Albany, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

A recent stay at the upmarket Staybridge Suites in Liverpool, NY resulted in some disappointments.

Located right off Thruway Exit 37 at the end of the ramp, a large sign announced Staybridge Suites. That was the last signage seen for the motel. After wandering around a huge Holiday Inn and Convention Center, we eventually found an unmarked portico and apparent entrance to the Staybridge Suites. How can you stay in a place when you can't find it?

Assigned to two rooms on the fourth of five floors, the next annoyance was to gain entrance to the rooms. A plastic room key would make the lock click, but not open. After finally mastering the sequence of insertion, wait, turn the handle and then push, we finally gained entrance to the rooms. How are you supposed to enjoy a room when you can't get in?

Well-equipped rooms brought huge beds with blankets so thick they could've been horse blankets. A cupboard of dishes was well stocked, but it took a minute or so to fumble around with the refrigerator to turn on the ice cube maker. Geez, staying at this place was a lot of work.

A noisy adjacent Thruway didn't help when sleeping, the breakfast buffet was small and cramped, and to reach the full service restaurant in the adjacent Holiday Inn required a hike around the latter's swimming pool (with no appropriate signage - naturally),

A nice place to stay, I guess, but it sure took effort.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dover, Delaware
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Let me start with my largest problem: our sheets were rampant with someone else's hair. I don't know if the sheets were washed and the hairs were caught in there, or housekeeping forgot to wear a hairnet, or if the sheets weren't washed at all. But it was gross. I didn't really notice until we were getting ready to check out, when my husband had lost his ring and we were searching the room. The hairs were obviously neither of ours. I had hoped to mention it to the desk or a manager when we were ready to check out- but there was only one person staffing a desk with a large number of people trying to leave as well, and she waived us by without further adieu. Housekeeping is only offered on a weekly basis, so they wouldn't have automatically changed our linens without us mentioning it.

Which leads me to my second problem: Most of the staff didn't seem to care about their guests. The woman checking us in- and a girl that I can only hope was in training (she didn't seem to know much about how the hotel operated) were nice enough our first night. But no one was particularly friendly, no one smiled or acknowledged us as humans when we walked by. It was odd.

The breakfast was okay. I say this, because my husband thought it was the greatest free breakfast he had ever had. I would have preferred a more thought out continental breakfast than what they had. (And the medium roast coffee was ALWAYS out. Multiple mornings in a row.) It wasn't bad, it was free, and it was very convenient- but not great.

Other than the oddly hairy bed, the rest of the room and building was clean and in good order. But our room was SMALL because of the layout (we had a queen non-smoking one-room.) We had our luggage on the coffee table because there was no other space for it- not even a luggage rack if we had wanted to put it elsewhere- and had to make space for one another.

So, in short- a lot of other people have had really positive experiences here- and I think my husband did too, because I didn't mention the state of the bed to him because it would have grossed him out needlessly- we couldn't go back in time and sleep in a clean bed. It was a nice property, pretty convenient, and a free hot breakfast for less than $100.

But should WE ever go back to Liverpool (and I rather think we will not) I will pay the extra $20 for the Crowne Plaza or Hampton. Or, you know. Anywhere else.

Room Tip: Brave the risk of getting a smoking room and book the unspecified suite with two rooms. And check th...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites Syracuse/Liverpool, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Dear juicy318,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. I am pleased that you found our location convenient. However, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience the room conditions may have caused you. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for these reasons, your comments are very troubling and these will certainly be looked into.We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Staybridge Suites Syracuse/Liverpool? Share your experiences!