“Life as it was meant to be lived...truly!” 5 of 5 stars

The Barton Hill Hotel & Spa
100 Center Street, Lewiston, NY 14092 (Formerly Niagara Inn at Barton Hill)   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Lewiston B&B and Inns
Buffalo,NY
“Life as it was meant to be lived...truly!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2009

My husband and I had our wedding at the Barton Hill Hotel and Spa over Memorial Day Weekend. We were truly blessed to have such a beautiful day weather wise, but even more so, blessed to have our wedding at such a naturally gorgeous venue. We are still receiving phone calls from our 200 guests about how wonderful and beautiful the Barton Hill was, it fit my husband and I's taste perfectly. The staff was extra accommodating, the food delicious, and the atmosphere created by the natural beauty of the Niagara escarpment was truly breathtaking. Our favorite part, aside from marrying each other, was having our guests out on the outdoor terrace enjoying good drinks, good food, and the sunset overlooking the spectacular views of the Niagara River. It is a scenic location, one that is difficult to top. The rooms were immaculate and as the bride and groom, we could not have asked for a better weekend. We cannot wait to return to celebrate our anniversary for years to come!

• Stayed May 2009

575 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Grand Island, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2009

Our trip was specifically for a college graduation dinner. I looked at the menu on-line and the offerings fit for the diversity in the group. When we arrived at the hotel, the valet was nowhere to be found and the eating area is actually in the lobby of the hotel with little privacy. The menu was not anything like what was on the website and the aged beef that was offered had to be ordered in advance (of which I was not notified of when I made the reservation). I ordered the chicken which was a very small portion, no starch and limited vegetables. I could understand if the restaurant was ala carte, but it was not. Desert consisted of carrot cake....that was it. The food did taste good, but overall the experience was very, very disappointing given that I wanted the day to be special. It turned out to be more of an embarrassment.

Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Buffalo, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2009

Our family of 12 made reservations for a mothers day brunch, we called ahead and they said it would be 35$ a head, it would have a ton of food and a seafood bar to boot, we heard it was very pretty so we decided to go. We arrived and it was very pretty indeed. We went up to the buffet and the service was quite odd, they didn't take our drink orders and they didn't even tell us to go up to the buffet. We decided we would just go up and were very surprised how small it was! There was no breakfast stuff at all only omelets made to order, no waffles, syrup or bacon nothing!! The supposed seafood bar consisted of a bowl of shrimp which they quickly ran out of and some smoked salmon. They had some steamed potatoes that everyone noticed were quite hard and raw! The prime rib and turkey were overcooked, sliced bad and very dry. There was no fruit anywhere to be found, i think i found some strawberries on the very small dessert table. As for the desserts, It was quite sparse, they had some bread pudding which was good, they had brownies that were not so good and they may have had some pastry of some sort but the trey remained empty. i must also mention that they only had big plates at the omelet station, which quickly ran out so we had to use tiny plates!! No salt and pepper on the table, not even any coffee served only water! It was absolutely ridiculous, disgusting and for that price unbelievable. We got the bill that was 500$ We discovered that the mimosa's that they had lined up at the bar were not included! We aren't even sure how they kept track of that!! Had the meal been delicious and we all weren't still hungry after, the money would not have been an issue, however after eating at the Bellagio buffet for 25$ a head where they employ 80 chefs, you have to wonder how they can justify this outrageous price. I think they need to go back to the drawing board, do some more research and step it up several notches, and quite frankly get some better chefs!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Western NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2009

I had stayed at the Barton previously with a few issues and when contacting the hotel I got no responce until I forwarded them my review that I posted online to the Inn Director. I still think the hotel has alot of potential and is in some growing pains stages but when my daughter announced she was eloping in Georgia due to her boyfriend who is in the military will be headed to Afghanistan soon-I stopped everything and contacted the Barton. Note: we did look at hotels nearby that my exhusband and daughter wanted to look at but for an elopment kept at home I wanted a Romantic wedding for them and got it. The Barton has that romantic feel and with it being off season (2/16) the hotel will not be busy! So we were not bothering others and actually we only saw a few other people during our event in the hotel. The wedding itself was all planned out quickly with the help of Lindsay. A romantic wedding by the fireplace in the small conference room-nice setting. Pictures in the lobby which is very quaint! (The lobby had an awesome look before they moved part of the restraunt into it but it is still charming.) Followed by champagne, fancy cheeses and crackers, chocolates in my room on the 4th floor (with a balcony for smokers). And then a dinner off the menu (no limitations - but did get a set price-I wanted everything prepaid) in the formal dinning room on the second floor with a fireplace in the backround (and again a balcony for smokers). The chef made an incredible wedding cake that was different, eye appealing and delicious. In all other than a few things that really did not matter the fastly organized but romantic wedding was perfect!! The room for the wedding by the fireplace with the candles and roses brought in was perfect, the judge from Romantic wedding chapel in the Falls was perfect-who also brought the photographer!! The setting was perfect for the pictures. The guest rooms (all with fireplaces) are simple but elegant (we were promised one room but got another-not as nice but still nice and we had to work with it) and the dinning room and the dinner was perfect. People laughed at the menu till they ate the food-all were impressed!! And more important all the guests at this small last minute wedding had a good time-it was a true moment to remember. My daughter and her husband stayed in the jacuzzi suite (only 1 in hotel) on the first floor-this room with no view nor no balcony is still to die for for!!! Would I go back??? Yes of course!! I never sit still and travel alot but this hotel even with growing pains and an Inn Director that needs to be seen-seems to stay hidden is worth it!!! There are different event planners to work with-ask for Lindsay. (If you have an event make sure all details are in writing and stuck too. The rooms were not ready at the time promised and my room was changed at the last minute. The set up in the room where they were married was to be set up differently but it worked just not as nice as what we asked for. We had all smokers using 1 ashtray on the balcony even though we asked for more ashtrays several times. And BE VERY CAREFUL ON THE CIRCLE DRIVEWAY TO THE FRONT DOOR-THE ANGLE BECOMES STEEP AND THE DRIVE WAY HIT THE BOTTOM OF THE CAR SEVERAL TIMES CAUSING LIMITED DAMAGE BUT STILL SOME DAMAGE!!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Abbotsford, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2009

I have recently returned from a one night stay at this property.
I loved the drive up to the hotel and a gorgeous surrounding area.
I was shocked when I was told there was complimentary Valet service as I was expecting to pay around $25 and up for that.
The room itself was quite large and well appointed. I did however have an issue with the temperature and controls - however the front desk came right up to fix it with a smile on her face. Very friendly staff.
The bathroom was very nice I would say that they could use some hooks near the shower or on the back of the door possibly just to hold your towel and your bathrobes while you are showering. Great shower and water pressure!
I am sad that I didn't get to the restuarants but I will next time as I will be back in a few months! I also hope to take in the Spa at that time as well!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Buffalo, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2009

I chose the Barton Hill for a Valentine's weekend getaway for my wife & I. It was a special one-night package with a multi-course dinner included. We also added a second night's stay when the hotel offered it for 1/2 price. Lewiston is a quaint, historic town with lots to do & see, and the Barton Hill is set on a hillside facing the scenic lower Niagara river. When arriving, if you choose not to use the valet parking service you'll find a tiny unpaved self-parking lot next to a dilapidated house surrounded by construction equipment & debris. Not very appealing and hopefully a temporary situation. The lobby is beautiful and the staff made check-in simple and quick. Unfortunately, they left out a few things - such as our dinner seating assignment and the location of the breakfast buffet. When we came downstairs for dinner, the hostess asked if we were in the correct dining room. Of course, we had no idea there was more than one and several minutes of confusion followed as two different young ladies asked our name and room number then left the room to check. The next morning was more of the same when we returned for breakfast and were told it was being served in the second floor dining area. On Monday morning, we went to the second floor for breakfast and found it empty - it was being served on the first floor that day. Not once was any of this ever communicated to guests in advance, and the wait staff seemed as disorganized as the guests were confused.
Back to the room - it was a spacious riverview king with comfortable furnishings and a nice flat-panel TV over the (fake) fireplace that's actually an electric heater with a remote control. It does make for a nice cozy atmosphere when in operation though. The bed was clean & amazingly comfortable - no complaints here. The bathroom was impressive in black & white tile and marble with separate tub and stall shower. One quibble here though - the single tiny shelf over the pedestal sink doesn't allow nearly enough room for toiletries and there's no cabinet or drawers in the room for storage. Very nice quality shampoo and soap is provided as are ample towels. The fancy coffee maker in our room took multiple attempts to get going the first morning and just plain refused to work the next day. Heavy drapes and sheers obscure the the windows and have to be manually pulled back onto hooks to enjoy the river view. A simple traverse rod would be much more convenient. A bottle of chapagne (included in our package) was delivered to our door cold, but oddly without an ice bucket or glasses. Staff took care of our requests for an ice bucket and a clothes iron very quickly, but somehow it seems these items should be standard fare in a hotel of this price class. A small refrigerator seems appropriate also.
The included romantic dinner-for-two was superb. The high point of our stay, absolutely world-class. Our compliments to the Chef. Breakfast was adequate, but not special. On Monday the eggs were overcooked to the point of turning grey due to an innattentive staffer who appeared oblivious to the fact that the chafing dish was far too hot. Too bad, because they were perfect the day before.
Overall, this is a beautiful hotel with a few issues still to be worked out. Since it's still new, let's hope it keeps improving. Don't forget the scenic beauty of Niagara Falls and the Niagara Gorge are within minutes of Lewiston. When in season, be sure to ride the Jet Boats docked just across the street from the hotel. It's a thrill not to be missed.
PS. A note of caution to cell phone users: Watch your phone for roaming charges. Apparently the Toronto, ON cell towers have a strong signal in this location and calls from the US can get routed through Canada, causing unnecessary roaming fees. Ask me how I know.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Rochester, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2009

We just returned from staying at Barton Hill for the weekend. The room was beyond my expectations - yes, there are not any hooks for towels in the bathroom - however,I mentioned this to a staff member and he promptly made a note of it. Dinner at Carmelo's was wonderful. We used the Embrace Room at the hotel for our spa services so we did not have leave the hotel.. Request Mindi for a facial (it was 90 minutes and DIVINE) and Ashley was one of the best massage therapists I have ever had. We have already booked a room for August for the yearly Jazz Festival.

• Liked — Location of hotel to shopping, restaurants
  • Disliked — No hooks for bathroom towels
  • Stayed February 2009
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Barton Hill Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!