“Seriously?” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 6 Lewiston B&B and Inns
rochester, ny
“Seriously?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

I had hesitated before making a reservation due to some -reviews. But the most recent seemed + so I went ahead. Huge Mistake. We were there on Aug. 23 and it was nothing like their website. Definitely false advertising. I thought the place was closed when we got there as there was no one in the lobby. Eventually someone appeared and checked us in. Our room was large but the shower was moldy and pillows were stained. Lacked amenities including the promised comfy robes. Not only wasn't there an ice bucket there wasn't an ice machine. As for the cocktails and fine dining forget it. That doesn't exist anymore. The walls are thin enough to hear everything your neighbors are doing. If this is somebody's idea of luxury I'd rather go camping!

Room Tip: Save your money. go someplace else.

576 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

I have a hard time believing I stayed at the same hotel as those who wrote the glowing reports. They must have been paid to write them. This place was totally misleading in its advertising. Where was the valet parking - in fact, where was the parking period? There was a gravel lot next to the place which held about 20 cars, parked in a rather helter-skelter fashion. The other lot was down the hill by way of wooden steps - a rather long trek for someone who doesn't walk well or who is otherwise handicapped. The staff? Most looked about 19 years old, and they were far and few between. I believe they served as receptionists, maintenance, housekeeping and anyone else usually staffed at a normal hotel. Our "room with a village view" had the view of the wall of a supposed extension to the main hotel, which was allegedly "under construction". It looked rather as "abandoned in mid-construction". This particular room was downright creepy. Aside from the view of the wall and its accompanying fire escape, there was the enormous bathroom , complete with a writing desk and perhaps two 25-watt bulbs. When we complained, the all-purpose, young person in charge seemed puzzled and reluctantly changed our room. The new room was also very generous in size, relatively clean (I checked for bedbugs and found none), and also had a wall phone in the bathroom, conveniently located next to the toilet. (?!?!?!). We actually did have four windows, but we were told this room was substantially more money, which my husband had made clear that he was not paying. Speaking of creepy, the spa was also nowhere I wanted to be. If the hotel and spa had been billed as haunted, I would not have been surprised at the atmosphere and maybe embraced it. But this hotel was supposed to be luxurious....well, not by my expectations of luxury. Our two night stay at this place ended on a troubling note as well. There were a series of severe thunderstorms in the area. My husband and I were awakened about 10:00 PM by the hotel fire alarm. We quickly left the room and made it to the first floor (we were on the third) via the stairs nearest our room. BTW - there was no notice on the door explaining where to exit in such a case - I had investigated this myself earlier to be sure I knew the way in case something happenend. The exit stairway was part of the alleged new construction area at the rear of the building. As we made it down the stairs, we had water dripping on us from above - obviously a leak or two in the new construction. When arriving at the desk area, we were told "false alarm" - that water had flooded the fourth floor and set off the alarm. We waited for the arrival of a fire truck or someone who seemed to be in charge of operations. After about 1/2 hour, another adolescent-type arrived in a pickup truck. We thought she was a guest arriving late, but we soon realized she was the one in charge of the building. A few hushed words were spoken (we heard "water", "flood", "storm", etc.). Then she left. My husband and I reluctantly went back to our room as soon as someone figured out how to turn the alarm and flashing lights off. The other guests? Well, I guess they trusted the judgement of the "help" and had either chosen not to leave their rooms, deciding it must be a false alarm, or left their rooms, believed everything was under control, and returned to their rooms.
This has taken a long time to write, but I feel it is necessary to say that this is possibly the worst place I have ever stayed under the guise of "luxury". It was a dump, plain and simple, and I'm sure will be closed for some reason in the near future. And did I forget to mention the breakfast?....ugh! We ate out both mornings.
Save your money or patronize one of the other inns or motels in the area, which is lovely and quaint. This place was a nightmare.

Burlington, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

My mother and I enjoyed a girls' weekend in Lewiston, and loved our stay here. We stayed 2 nights, and also enjoyed spa treatments. The spa was well-appointed, the treatments relaxing, and the staff helpful and professional. Although there were 2 weddings receptions in full swing on Saturday night, we were not disturbed at all. The room was very large and beautifully furnished. Overall, the hotel was more than we expected, especially for the price. I would not hesitate to stay here again, and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Newport Beach, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

I have to write this review as I am so thrilled to find such a great place on the American side. We come back to the Niagara Region almost every year to see family and friends... and we have always stayed on the Canadian side at Niagara on the Lake. While we have the three kids, I really want our Hotel to be charming and unique and fun for us as well. The American side really doesnt have much by way of charm and elegance. This time my Mom mentioned the Barton Hill and so we booked a week there. Our room was absolutely wonderful with a fireplace and beautiful view of the water. The kids had a room nearby and both were specious and really individual. Everything was refreshing.. the decor was tasteful and not fussy, the lobby was wonderful with places to just sit and relax and the breakfast was excellent every day and included. Frankly, this place was a bargain, especially compared to the prices at Niagara on the Lake. The staff could not have been more attentive and genuine... even the valet parking was complimentary. I had a problem getting the kids booked on the Jetboat excursion and the front desk person, "Julie" booked the reservations and toke care of everything. By the way, that is a great thing to do with kids if they are about 10 or older ... the kids are still talking about it.
I did have a chance to go to the Spa and while small it was first rate... best facial I have ever had. My husband got the thereputic massage and he was very happy with his service as well. Prices for the Spa were also very reasonable. Lewiston is great, casual and lots of good restaurants to chose from. This is definately where we will come next year... We also went to the Arts Festival which was extremely good. Great value, great surroundings, beautiful rooms and a really nice breakfast . We met the owner, who also could not have been more friendly or concerned for our comfort and that our kids had a good time. The owner took the time to point out some new wineries in the region and there is also a new "hop on hop off " bus service that takes you to the attractions... picks up right across from the Hotel. I travel for a living so this place was a wonderful break from the ordinary.

Room Tip: ask for the water view rooms ... really special
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

We drove from Pittsburgh to stay at this inn on August 2 & 3, 2011. From the outside the inn looks very quaint and is in a lovely location by the river. BUT, apparently, whoever the owners are, they have fallen into financial problems and have completely eliminated competent staff. It appears that the inn is now run by high school and college students. Also, since the inn is no longer serving food, the included breakfast is very minimal. We were fortunate that our room was clean but we had no soap, insufficient towels, no ice bucket and no coffee supplies to use the coffee maker. Fortunately, we didn't pay the full rate that is still be required for reservations via the web site.

Room Tip: Call before making reservations and inquire about amenities.
Freeland, mi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

We were there for a family reunion and were treated very well. The staff seemed to go out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed and more. The rooms are very spacious and each has a great keurig coffee maker. The beds are comfortable. The place is clean. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Assonet, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

We stayed at the Barton Hill Hotel for a family reunion. The rooms were big and very clean. The staff was unbelieveable - incredibly attentive, cordial, accommodating. We could not have asked for a better hotel. The location is fantastic as well! If you're looking for a cookie-cutter hotel, this is not for you. If you're looking for a hotel with character and charm, this is your place. Also, if you're traveling with a large group, you should absolutely come here. We had 39 individuals in 20 rooms and they did everything to make sure we had a great time - providing a room for us to gather each night, catering our dinner Saturday night. Anything we needed, we simply had to ask.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to The Barton Hill Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!