“An absolute nightmare experience.” 1 of 5 stars

Portage House Motel
280 Portage Rd, Lewiston, NY 14092   |
Ranked #3 of 6 Lewiston B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“An absolute nightmare experience.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We tried to inquire about an additional room, as we we're more people than expected. The owner proceeded to start a fight with us because she was inconvenienced to be hospitable to her guests.

The manner in which the owner carried herself was not only rude, but an absolute nightmare experience.

On top of that, the "hotel" smells, is extremely small and doesn't have basic necessities like a phone.

I would personally stay in my car, rather than stay at this joke of an establishment in the future.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Akron Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

We recently spent a week here, visiting friends and family. The family that owns the motel is friendly and caring.( We had 8 people-4 of them children,and I still have to laugh when I think about how our rooms looked after a few days with clothes and toys everywhere!)
We were there during a storm that knocked out power, and again the family stepped up offering to do whatever they could to make us more comfortable. Very caring people!!
I mentioned that I had bought some candles the day before, and we used those in our rooms(the large jar type)and right away they offered to replace the candles. Of course we said no,we didn't burn very much of them. They insisted and we kept saying no,it wasn't necessary.
Fast forward to check out and packing up our rooms. Everyone was loading the cars, and somehow 2 large candles ended up in my trunk....one of my daughters was with me when we found them while unpacking and she realized that the owners must have given them to us without our knowing.
Again, this family is wonderful! I saw their daughter working along side her parents everyday. Very nice,very friendly.
If you are looking for all the bells and whistles of a hotel, then this motel isn't for you,but--if you are looking for a clean comfortable place, caring owners and a great location, this IS for you!!

Room Tip: I believe they are all good.
Lewiston, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

This family owned motel is the best accommodation in Lewiston! Rooms are clean, affordable, and have all the basics covered. If you want something fancy and frilly, look elsewhere, if you want to be comfortable, have a clean place to lay your head and be near all the village has to offer this is for you. All rooms have a fridge, all rooms have air conditioning, and a full bath and are in walking distance to TOPS Grocery and picturesque mail street. Perfect place to stay when attending an Artpark concert! Beautiful gardens and gazebo on the grounds, and the owners will go out of their way to help you enjoy the area. They can arrange a limousine, or a horse drawn carriage ride for you if you ask.

Greece
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We booked here as a recommendation from someone else. We were looking to stay elsewhere but all places were booked. For $99 we got one of the smallest rooms that smelled like cats and mildew. Even my son - who is a teenager - couldn't stand the smell. Thank goodness I brought the Lysol. We sprayed the beds and slept on top of the beds on top of other clothing. Felt dirty. The lady checking us in was polite - but this room is a $29 room or one that should be rented by the hour. VERY disappointed. A very old bldg.

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Having traveled the world I am grateful for an Oasis that is the Portage House. The Two Sues & Dave, hospitable to the nth degree, have built a comfortable home for travelers complete with an idyllic backyard flowered covered gazebo, man-made babbling brook, & BBQ set against the backdrop of the Palisades. The room are warming, clean and comfortable. The wifi free and it is walking distance to the Lewiston restaurant strip. And for those of us looking for a special occasion they have a horse drawn carriage and a limo for hire. Value for price it can't be beat. Book the suite if you want a little more room & a little romance as is comes with two rooms and a gas fueled fire place.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We booked this motel for it's location, I knew from the reviews that it was small and family-owned.
I guess it's been awhile since we stayed anywhere so "quaint." The family suite was spacious if a little oddly decorated with a futon as the second bed. I've read the reviews about the friendly woman who works the desk but our only experience was with a somewhat surly young woman. She made sure we were checked in and checked out but not much "friendliness." When we rang the doorbell after 9PM to get sheets for the futon the door was not answered so my two teenage
boys went without sheets. When our room was "cleaned" the next day it looked like someone had rolled around on the bed after making it - the comforter was a mess and the pillows were all over the place making us a bit uncertain if the room had been cleaned. The location was great and the town is adorable, we loved walking around the main street and down to the river,
but we made sure we spent as little time as possible at the motel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for the billy idiol concert. It was amazing. The landscape was beautiful. It was very clean. And the owner was very friendly and accomadating. Very close to artpark driving and walking. And tops grocery store is walking distance. Anyone going to a concert at artpark I would recommend staying here. Thanks so much

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Portage House Motel? Share your experiences!