“Front Desk Staff very helpful” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Super 8 Latham/Albany, Troy Area

Save Saved
You added Super 8 Latham/Albany, Troy Area to your Saves list
Super 8 Latham/Albany, Troy Area
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   681 Troy Schenectady Road, I-87 Exit 6, Latham, NY 12110-2501   |
Special Offer
GM Special/Advance Reserv
Ranked #7 of 17 hotels in Latham
Albany, NY
“Front Desk Staff very helpful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2009

Let me preface this review by saying we never actually got to stay at the hotel - so I am describing here my experience with the front desk staff.

In December our area was hit by an ice storm - and with the realization that we were going to be without power for several days we decided to book a local hotel in an area that still had power. I contacted the Super 8 and was informed they still had power, so I booked a room there for two nights.

When we arrived at the hotel we were informed that area had just lost power within the last hour - so obviously we could no longer stay there. The front desk staff were very helpful - giving no hassle at all about the cancellation policy in light of the unique circumstances - so we didn't have to worry about being charged for one night's stay. They also gave suggestions of other hotels we could still try that might have room availability.

Everything ended up working out OK - and I just want to recognize the staff of the Super 8 in Latham for being very helpful on what was a trying day for all of us I'm sure..

• Liked — Front Desk Staff
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

168 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Easton, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2008

Dirty, dated, rank musty smell, noisy, poor lighting, shady people hanging around outside, did not feel safe, NOT worth the room rate. $39 a night would be too much to pay for these accomodations. Room so skeevy, I slept in my clothes on top of the bed. YUCK YUCK YUCK YUCK....AVOID.... Spend your dollars elsewhere.

• Liked — LEAVING
  • Disliked — Paying $75 for a truly crummy accomodation.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2008

I walked in after getting off a late flight into Albany and got a good rate for a room here with one of those coupon books. The woman on the front desk was polite and courteous even at midnight and I got a clean and decent room that suited my purposes for an overnight stay.

Stayed May 2008
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2008

It's a fairly standard motel. No significant complaints. I found it clean and relatively comfortable. I found the lighting a bit inconvenient. All of the lights in the room were controlled by the switch at the door. However, the price was significantly lower than other hotels in the area, and for an overnight stay it was perfectly fine.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Grahamsville, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2007

I am a trip rewards member and never stayed at any hotel before this that needed a follow up with the manager. I had alot of sinus problems all night. I was coughing and had congestion all through the night. The room didn't smell of smoke. I checked the fridge nothing. Took some Benedryl and still couldn't sleep. In the morning when I went to take a shower, the roof of the bathroom within the confines of the shower curtain/stall so you couldn't see it had about 4 inches thick, and about 5 foot long 3 foot wide growth of mold on the ceiling. I took pictures it was so bad. I spoke to the front desk in the morning and no compensation. I wrote to the manager still nothing. Not worth getting sick to stay here. Other more comfortable quality hotels in the area! Never again!

• Liked — Cereal bar
  • Disliked — The room
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Condon, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2007

I stayed at the Super 8 in Latham while presenting workshops followed by attending a nearby conference. I stayed for seven nights. I arrived
a couple of days early to visit with my son who lives in the area. I selected this hotel over the nearby Microtel because I could get a room with a microwave and fridge. I should have stayed at the Microtel.

The room was an older Super 8 layout but had been recently renovated. The furnishings were new and in excellent condition. Unfortunately, they were much too large for the small rooms. (The small rooms are typical for this particular Super 8 layout.) I spent much of the time in my King bed room feeling crowded---and I was by myself.

Breakfast was marginal at best. The promised complimentary USA Today papers required racing to the front desk each morning before the minimal number of copies provided were gone.

My biggest problem with the room, however, was housekeeping. Apparently, they don't feel it is necessary to vacuum fully, to fully clean off the sinks, or to provide enough towels and wash cloths for a lone traveler. I did receive plenty of containers of shampoo and plenty of soap. My bed was also made most days, but not all. More than once I had to request towels. The only day that the room seemed to have had a good cleaning was the day of my arrival.

On one particular morning when I was going over to the conference later, I was working in the room on a deadline at about 11 a.m. I was nearing completion and expected to head on out within about thirty minutes. Despite my "Do not Disturb" sign on the door the two young men from housekeeping knocked on the door. I answered and tried desperately to communicate with them that I would be ready for them to clean the room within about thirty minutes. (Clearly, English was not their first language.) They insisted on coming into the room and leaving towels and pushing the dirt across the floor with a filthy looking vacuum sweeper immediately.

I packed up and left for Paneras to complete my work. My complaints to
the desk staff were to no avail.

Upon check out, which was one-day earlier than I'd originally planned, the clerk had to be reminded to charge me for only seven nights instead of eight. Had I not looked over the bill carefully I would have paid for eight nights instead of the seven I stayed.

I am generally easy to please, I don't expect a Super 8 to provide a high level of service, and I am happy as long as I have three things: 1.) a good internet connection, 2.) a clean room, and 3.) adequate supplies. Unfortunately, I only had one of the three.

I am puzzled as to why my experience and my review of this hotel are so significantly different from the others. This is not typical. If anything I am typically more positive in my reviews than others.

Bottom line: I am in the Albany area at least once or twice a year on business or family matters. I can't foresee a circumstance that would cause me to stay at this Super 8 again.

• Liked — location was convenient, newer furnishings
  • Disliked — lack of cleanliness
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2007

Nice place that is close to the interstate which makes it convenient . It was very clean and safe. The beds were very low to the ground but were very soft and good for weary travelers wanting to rest. The only minor thing I didn't like about the place was that there was no elevator and our room was on the third floor.

• Liked — Room
  • Disliked — No Elevator
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Super 8 Latham/Albany, Troy Area? Share your experiences!