“Uninspiring” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Epicurean Bistro & Wine Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #53 of 112 restaurants in Latham
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: The Epicurean is an authentic French bistro, the only one in the Capital Region of New York. The Award-winning Executive Chef is from the south of France and one of the owners is French Canadian. Our food is classic French with a Mediterranean twist...Provencal or North African spicing. There are many classic menus items such as Escargot, Frogs Legs, Steak Tartare and Steak Frites. The ambiance is casual. We are a Wine Spectator Award-winning restaurant with a 2200 bottle wine cellar with a significant offering of French wines. Our wine bar has an extensive selection of beers and a full bar. Come and dine with us and experience not an eating, but a dining experience.
“Uninspiring”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

There were pluses and minus to this place:

Plus: beer selection, the waitress was friendly and the calamari

Minuses: the host, the small seating area, the price of food for the quality

If the owner took half as much time trying to improve the quality of his food as he does posting immature responses to reviews on tripadvisor this place may have potential. Unfortunately, it appears that his sour attitude carries into the food. I would go back and order an appetizer at the bar, but for my main course (pretzel crusted chicken) I might as well save my money and go to Boston Market.

• 2 of 5 stars Food
normnmarge, Owner at The Epicurean Bistro & Wine Bar, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
"Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others"...H. Jackson Brown...American writer

52% Recommend
Saratoga Springs
“I Miss Vin Santos!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

My fiancé and I finally decided to try this restaurant. I LOVED everything about Vin Santos; this joint does not compare by any means.
When we walked in the restaurant it was empty (6:30pm on Tuesday, 6/4/13), so the host (a poorly dressed (dirty jeans and untucked shirt) older man w/ a beard and glasses) put us basically on top of another couple. I asked if we could please be seated somewhere else, he snapped and said, "No! The restaurant is going to be filled up in a few minutes!" So, we sat awkwardly next to another couple while listening to their conversation as our partial entertainment. Needless to say, he was seating parties of two at the tables that he could have sat us at and the restaurant was NOT filled up by the time we left (around 7:30pm); there were about five-seven open tables. Experiencing that host act as a jerk totally set the night off in the wrong direction.
The waitress was nice. The food was okay; the best part of our meals was the warm bread, calamari, his beer and my martini.
We may go back just to sit at the bar since it still does have the nice Vin Santos set up.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
normnmarge, Owner at The Epicurean Bistro & Wine Bar, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
I guess she did not like my $85 jeans! I wear them to make our male customers feel more comfortable as we try and instill the casual atmosphere of a French bistro.
Troy, New York
“New menu -- try the risotto.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

The Epicurean is one of our local favorites. The food is always very good to excellent and the wine selection is fabulous (I strongly disagree with the bad pour comments -- they have a very healthy pour). We generally sit in the bar area because we enjoy Barry. We stopped in last night to check out the new menu. I ordered the lobster risotto. Hands down, the best risotto . . . ever. So creamy and flavorful . . . and the lobster tail poached in butter . . . . .Can't wait to go back!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Isn't the Risotto the absolute best? The Chef actually won his first culinary award several years ago with his Pumpkin Risotto. I recently tried it again. I try all of the food! Someone has to do it! WOW! I think it is his best effort yet...
Catskill, New York
“Best frogs legs!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I had a Groupon voucher for this restaurant. I had frogs legs for an appetizer. Fabulous. The sous chef, a woman, came over and asked me how I enjoyed them. She saw me eating them. I had ahi tuna which was good. The rice with it was bland. My friend had the confit of duck which was served with a salad and looked very good. The prices are quite expensive but worth it. The owner came over to our table. I did mention the noise level and music. He told me it was jazz and there was nothing he could do about it because I said I'd like to bring my husband but it was too noisy. He also suggested the beginning of the week. We had dessert which was good. The waiter was a little cold in the beginning. He got better after the sous chef came to our table. He did a few other minor things I didn't like; had to ask for finger bowl, took long to refill water, had to ask for clean napkin, etc. Would go back for the frogs legs.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Aren't the frog's legs the best! You must be a garlic lover too? Thanks very much for pointing out some of the service flaws. Always have to work on the servers...See you soon!
“Atmospheric and delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

The Epicurean took over the ambitious Vin Santo space in Latham Farms and made it their own. I've been several times, and just took my husband there the other night for a romantic dinner for two. The atmosphere is quite lovely with the bar having its own feel. Food was delicious, continental.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere