“Wonderful wedding suite” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 17 hotels in Latham
Albany, NY
“Wonderful wedding suite”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2008

I got married at the Century House and was given a complimentary bridal suite to stay in after the wedding. The room was right off of the main lobby but you wouldn't know it because it was so quiet in our room! The beds are so comfortable and that was very important to me because my husband and I were exhausted! The suite consisted of a large king bed with a dresser and a television and a sitting area with a couch, another tv, a desk, and a comfy chair. The bathroom was a pretty standard bathroom, no hot tub :o(

The only problem that I had with this room was that the water temperature in the shower was very spotty. It kept switching from extremely hot to luke warm. My parent's also stayed at this hotel and didn't have the same problem as us so i'm not sure if this is a problem in every room.

The breakfast that was provided in the morning was delicious and they were many different breakfast foods to choose from (eggs, bagels, home fries, french toast, etc.). The cups that they provided for the juice were incredibly tiny so since I don't drink coffee I just poured the juice in my coffee cup :o)

Enjoy your stay!

• Liked — Comfortable beds and the breakfast
  • Disliked — Water temperature in shower
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

155 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Scandia, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2008

Someone else nailed the staff on the head: every SINGLE one of them was exceptional. Rooms were quiet and the beds were great. I loved the non-chain feel to it. It was simply exceptional. And the restaurant? Are you kidding me? I ate there three nights, had three different entrees and each one was maybe the best of that genre, I'd ever had. Good prices too. I just got poached for a $40 steak (that sucked) at an airport Hilton last weekend. This was $28 and amazing.

Pluf, if you show your room key, you get a free shrimp cocktail. Not one of those Las Vegas "carrots" they dangle to get you into the casino. Three massive shrimp.

LOVE this place.

Stayed April 2008
GM_TheCenturyHouse, General Manager at Clarion Hotel at the Century House, responded to this review, May 12, 2008
Thank you for your comments. I’m pleased that we were able to provide you with an exceptional experience. Your comments were both flattering and humbling. If you find yourself in the area again, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Samuel Perkins
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2007

I stayed here for 3 nights while in town for a wedding and reception. The room was well-appointed and the hotel internet access was used. Several other wedding guests stayed here too.

I thought it was great. I had no problems checking in, the room was comfortable, and I slept well each night. Some of the other folks said they had trouble with noise in the halls at night (even though they were just across the hall from me, so I guess I'm a relatively sound sleeper).

The Century House has an excellent restaurant and banquet facility (where our wedding reception was held) and this seems to cause some activity in the hallways later at night. They might do better to try to segregate wedding guests from other guests. The reception had really terrific decorating, food, and bar service.

The full breakfast included in the room price was superb in quality and service, among the best I've had at a mid-level property. Excellent quality and selection well beyond the expected.

I thought it was a great place to stay for a few days. There is a natural area behind the hotel with hiking paths that was a nice getaway. The back parking and pool area was a common and quiet gathering area. The local area is chock full of things to see and do and places to shop at. The hotel staff was knowledgeable and helpful with finding things, like a post office or local waterfall.

Very nice overall. I would stay here again.

• Liked — Nicely managed, great breakfast
  • Disliked — Other people said the hallways had some late night noise.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2007

I have stayed in the Century House numerous times but since the remodeling the first time last week. I have been confronted with the strictest non-smoking policy I have ever seen during my various travels within the US. Unfortunately during the Internet reservation process this "all over non smoking facility" appeared as a normal hotel but when checking in and the staff realized that I am a smoker (I asked for a smoking room) I was requested to sign a piece of paper that I would obey their non smoking policy - otherwise I would be charged with a "cleaning fee" of US $ 250,00. Smokers should avoid this - otherwise very nice - facility and opt for the neighboring hotels with standard smoking policies. This was definitely my last stay in this pretty unfriendly place.

• Disliked — Non smoking policy
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Kennebunk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2007

My husband booked this Hotel with Points. We were surprised that Century House was now part of Clarion , and were happy to stay at this hotel. I have been there previously for Dinner, Business meetings at the conference center, and to weddings. (Never as a hotel guest) when i lived in this area.

Regarding our accomodations:
The rooms were immaculate and well furnished. It is definitely not the Hyatt,, but was very nicely decorated and the quality of the furnishings were very nice and looked new. I think it is much better than a chain hotel, given the fact this has been owened by a local family for so many years and still is. The lobby is very nice and has some areas with Privacy. There was a breakfast room with a full buffet that was good and there were servers there who were immediately available.

We will definitely stay here the next time we go to visit family. This hotel and restaurant is Centrally located and close to major highways.

• Liked — The rooms were very clean and the bedding was top quality.
  • Disliked — There was not an indoor pool for the children .
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2006

Our group spent 2 nights here and had no complaints at all. The food is tremendous. The hotel is quaint and quiet. Most striking however was how very pleasant the entire staff was.

• Stayed May 2006
Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2006

My wife is handicapped, so our viewpoint is somewhat different from most. The inn itself, is adequate, if not somewhat tired. There are signs posted, indicating renovations are in process (nothing major noted). We were told wheelchair access was from a door at the opposite end of the building from our accessible room. Kind of strange, since when we left, we noted a ramp at the front, very close to our room. The room itself was fine, but with a tub (not great for handicapped people). We took the meal package, so were committed to eating there. In order to get to the restaurant, there is no way to get there from inside, so we drove up the hill, where access was fine. Here's the best part. Expecting a limited menu to choose from, we were informed we could order any appetizer, entree & desert from the menu. Food was excellent, as was the service. Breakfast, in a room easily accessible from our room, was average. In closing, staff was pleasant & helpful. We would definitely choose this Inn over the 'chain' hotels.

• Stayed March 2006

Been to Clarion Hotel at the Century House? Share your experiences!