“Nice people, good restaurant, musty room” 3 of 5 stars

Clarion Hotel at the Century House
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   997 New Loudon Road, (Route 9), Latham, NY 12110   |
Ranked #2 of 17 hotels in Latham
Gonic, NH
“Nice people, good restaurant, musty room”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I stayed at this location for one night on the weekend. It was easy to find and seemed near empty. I was greeted pleasantly by Christina. All the staff people encountered were friendly, they made eye contact and acknowledged you whenever your were within 5-10 feet. The check-in was quick, the room was ready and I went to the room. My first impression was a musty, moldy smell. I went out to get ice and came back to a similar smell. My spouse has had sinus surgeries and she would not be able to stay at this location. I went to the business center a little while later. I had become used to the smell in the room, but when I returned 10 minutes later the smell hit me again. The business center itself was stocked and had a printer, all-in-one fax, copier, printer and two working terminals. I was able to get my work done and this was a nice benefit. The pool is outdoor and seasonal.
The internet and desk area were adequate in the room. The bed was firm, but the pillows were a real disappointment. They were all very flat with no substance to them at all.
The bathroom sink did not drain at all and the toilet was very small, to fit the compact bathroom and not hit the door. The shower was hot with good water pressure.
The thing that impressed me about this location was the semi-attached restaurant. I went up for dinner and had an excellent prime rib dinner. I chose the smaller cut, but it appeared to be a large cut portion, it was cooked to request and a recommended Carr Napa Cab for $10.00 was a nice accent.
I would return to the restaurant without a doubt. I would probably not return to the hotel because similar priced hotels were available in the area that I know would not have the linger musty-moldy smell. I did stay here to take advantage of the 2 night get 1 free promo through Choice, that is why I chose this location initially.

Room Tip: This is a two story location with a lower level entry at the rear of the building. I did not see an...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Andrew S, Manager at Clarion Hotel at the Century House, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Please know that I appreciate your feedback along with your attention to detail.
As the hotel manager I would like to personally apologize for the condition of your room, and thank you for noticing the quality and attentiveness of our entire team.
I am currently investigating this incident and preparing to review proper cleaning and room inspection procedures within our next hotel meeting.
I would also like to inform you that we are currently in the process of remodeling all of our in room bathrooms to include new granite vanities, plumbing, and aesthetics.
As a choice privileges member I'm sure that you recognize our brand standards, and know that we will take this constructive criticism to heart and continue to learn and improve.
We truly hope that you will give us another chance to display that our hotel services are just as unique and memorable as those of our restaurant.

156 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Recently my company held a meeting for 60 people at this hotel. We utilized sleeping rooms in addition to the meeting rooms and banquet facility. The staff was very helpful and accommodating for the times on our meeting. The members raved about the food and accommodations. It was a great experience being there, and the staff in planning the event was very nice and helpful.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Andrew S, Manager at Clarion Hotel at the Century House, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you for your great review! I am so happy to know that our meeting rooms, banquet facility, and restaurant services helped influence your positive experience. We are pleased to hear that planning your event went smoothly, and look forward to hosting you and your company again!
Rochester, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

The room was OK. The food was OK. The staff was very nice I have to say. For a historic hotel, I think I would have expected that it was a bit nicer and better put together.

What I hated was the parking situation. The night I was there, there were multiple events happening at the hotel. The lot is small with alot of islands that you have to drive around. This lot in no way can handle that much parking. Cars were all over the place in the isles, on the road. Luckily I checked in early and no problem, but when I had to go out later, I had to wiggle my car out slowly, run my errands. And guess upon my return? After driving around for 30 minutes, including the lot of the hotel next door and the restaurant, I sat in my car for another 15 min until someone left and I wiggled back in. I realize this was probably unusual for the middle of the week but before I stay there again my first question would always be to ask if there are any events happening when I'm suppose to be there. If there are, I will stay elsewhere.

Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I've been coming here annually on business for almost 10 years and we get buffets for lunch and predetermined dinners. The food was way below par. The ham at lunch was certainly not deli ham (cooked ham and then sliced?). The chicken both nights was ok, but served with watery mashed potatoes. What prompted me to write this review was the "Coke" served at lunch in pitchers. It was so diluted that nobody (30 people) touched it. They used to have a waitress for breakfast, and that was cut out.

Room Tip: skip the food.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Our team would like to sincerely thank you and your company for your faith in our services these past ten years. We appreciate your comments and plan to utilize them as a tool to improve future events and guest experiences. Our management team is currently looking into why our cuisine was not properly prepared, and is determined to make sure that all beverages are refreshed throughout events. We have a commitment to providing quality foods and accommodations, whether you are attending a luncheon, or enjoying our freshly served breakfast after a nights stay. We hope that you will give us the chance to regain your confidence, thank you for the opportunity to improve our business!
Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I stayed here on a Sunday night and I had a top notch experience. First of all I got a really good rate - probably because it was Sunday night. But the staff was extremely polite and friendly; very accommodating. The room was clean, nicely decorated. Bed was very comfortable. The hotel was extremely quiet and the wifi operated with no problems. I will definitely stay here again when I'm in the area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Andrew S, Manager at Clarion Hotel at the Century House, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Thank you for your positive feedback! We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found that our hotel was not only affordable, but quiet and comfortable as well. We look forward to your next visit, and assure that we will continue to provide the quality services that you expect and deserve!
BRONX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is my third time staying in this hotel. Friendly staff, very nice clean rooms. Excellent restaurant right next door. There are also additional very nice places to eat in close proximity.
I have finished shopping around. If I am near Albany, this is where I stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Rochester, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I was impressed with the presentation and staff at the Clarion Hotel. I was staying their for a business trip and they made me feel right at home. The breakfast was a good qaulity, got to enjoy Starbucks coffee but the wait staff really made it a great experience. The room was a business suite so it was above my expectations. The bed a more importantly the pillows were very comfortable, got a great night sleep.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are in a good location.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Clarion Hotel at the Century House? Share your experiences!