“Very quiet” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Century House, an Ascend Collection Hotel

You added The Century House, an Ascend Collection Hotel to your Saves list
The Century House, an Ascend Collection Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   997 New Loudon Road, (Route 9), Latham, NY 12110 (Formerly Clarion Hotel at the Century House)   |
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Latham
melrose,ma
“Very quiet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

We stayed here on a Thursday night while checking out the Erie Canal Locks in Waterford. The staff is extremely friendly; our room was very comfortable. The breakfast room was large and the choices were terrific. The hotel is located behind the restaurant and down a hill so none of the traffic from US 9 can be heard. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Babylon, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

We loved our stay and would definitely be back! We checked in very late after a concert and the desk person was super friendly. He even found a cot for an unexpected third guest. The beds were very comfortable and the room was very clean. In the morning, the breakfast was amazing!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

We had to be in town for a memorial service and booked this hotel. We brought our 9 month old puppy with us. The staff was wonderful. The room was very comfortable and clean. Great bed, great wireless, just ok tv reception. Lovely pool area where we were allowed to bring the dog to sit under the trees while we swam and ordered drinks poolside. We desperately needed the relaxation while going through the loss of someone we loved very much so we are grateful for all that Century House did to make our stay a comfortable one. The breakfast is also terrific -- generous, varied and delicious. It was the first time I ever had scrambled eggs from a steam table that didn't taste like pebbles or dried egg foam -- they were buttery, creamy and delicious!
We will definitely stay here again the next time we are in the area.

Room Tip: I am allergic to animals so my dog is one of those hypo-allergenic types. The price I pay for a pet...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Tallahassee, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

I stayed at the Century House for a few days while in town as the Maid of Honor for a friend's wedding. All of the bridal party was staying at the hotel for the wedding and nights preceding it. The hotel was also the location of the wedding reception.

The best thing about the hotel was the service. All of the workers were very polite and accommodating. One of the front desk workers was particularly exceptional - she helped us out during the scavenger hunt set up for the bachelorette party and brought in extra sheets and blankets for the trundle bed in the room that two of the other bridesmaids and I were sharing, as well as extra towels. I wish I could remember her name. She had tan skin and black, shoulder length hair, and I think she mentioned to another guest that she was from California. So, in case any hotel managers see this - take note of this amazing worker!

The hotel amenities were also nice. The business center was not very extensive, but served basic needs. If I actually had the time to work on this trip, I wouldn't have been able to do so because the computers are essentially right out in the lobby. However, it was convenient and accessible for checking e-mails and printing out my boarding passes. The complementary breakfast served every morning was delicious and plenteous! All of the food was fresh and hot. If I had any suggestions, it would be for the hotel to serve bacon every day (it was only served one of the three days I was there) and to offer soymilk, almondmilk, or ricemilk as an alternative to dairy milk. I wanted to eat cereal with my breakfast, but was unable to because I am unable to drink dairy milk. Of course, I didn't expect the hotel to do such a thing (most don't), but it would have been a nice touch (or even if they put up a sign saying that soymilk is available upon request for those who are vegan or lactose intolerant... more and more people are fitting into these categories). The buffet-style breakfast is completely included in the price of the hotel, and much better than many breakfasts I've paid for at other hotels. So, it's still a winning situation.

The rooms, however, were lacking. I would give them 5 stars on the cleanliness - housekeepers changed the towels and sheets every day, which is very uncommon nowadays, and I never saw a spot of dirt in the room. However, they needed a bit of maintenance. For example, the wallpaper was peeling in our room near the air conditioner, and the drapers were broken so we couldn't open or close them - they constantly remained at 1/4 open. In another wedding party member's room, the dresser had a broken handle. As other reviewers pointed out, our room did not have a fridge or a microwave. As someone who ate out for every meal, and likes to save my leftovers, this was an inconvenience. Even if there was just a fridge, that would be enough, but with no fridge, leftovers spoil! Another wedding party member's room had a microwave, but no fridge. Yet another room had both a fridge and a microwave. Why not just add fridges and microwaves to all of the rooms, instead of just random ones? The decor was very nice, though. The whole hotel was New England-themed. It reminded me a lot of Disney's Yacht and Beach Clubs, but at a much lower price (and a slightly lower quality). The grounds were well-maintained, and the outdoor seating area near the lobby and the nature trail were enjoyable.

For the reception, the service was excellent and all of the food was amazing. During the appetizer course, I absolutely loved the grilled cheese shooters, they were delicious! I had salmon with jasmine rice and haricots verts for dinner - another delicious meal! The caesar salad served before dinner could have used a little bit of work, but I suppose that most people don't care about salads. The drinks were well-mixed and the bartenders assigned to the wedding were both friendly, hospitable people. The wedding was in the Main Ballroom, which had a wonderful traditional decor with dark woods and New England candelabra style chandeliers.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel for weddings, meetings, or if you just needed a place to stay while visiting the area. I had a great time while I was there, helped along by the convenient amenities, delicious food, and amazing staff members. However, that does not change the fact that the hotel is overpriced. Even with the supposedly good group booking discount we received, I would still consider it to be $20 more per night than it should be.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a fridge or microwave, and ask for a room on the second floor or with an odd num...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

The Century House is one of the more expensive hotels in the area and, while not a luxury hotel, it is a decent enough hotel IF your reservation is honored and you actually get to check in. I thought they had rectified their overbooking and last minute cancellation policy. Apparently not. The last thing I need is to drive several hours , only to find out I don't have any place to stay that night. They will offer you some kind of useless compensation and think they've made up for the inconvenience they've caused. However, that still left me looking for a room during a very busy weekend.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

Every summer my family gets together from far away parts (California, North Carolina, Vermont) for family events/reunions in the upstate NY area and we always stay at the Century House. We love the location, the decor, the nature trail, the warmth of the staff and the feeling of being in a home away from home. We especailly love the breakfast and the servers. This year we were especially charmed by Kizzy. She went out of her way to make our morning breakfast ritual the best part of the day. And made my 82 year old Dad feel very special. She is a great asset to the Century House, please treat her well.

The Reichel Family

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Troy, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

Time and time again, the staff at The Century House goes out of their way to please us! We are always greeted with smiles, and in the three times we have stayed there, our expectations have been exceeded. The beds are the most comfortable beds in the world, and the rooms are always spotless. Kim Baker always makes us feel like royalty when we stay at The Century House and Tiffany went the extra mile for us as well. We had a delicious dinner in the restaurant and we love the restaurant staff as well! (Do yourself a favor and get the potato gnocchi appetizer--you won't regret it!) Paul was our waiter and he made us feel like we were guests at his house. Gordon serenaded us for our anniversary and Paul put in a request for the pianist to play something we liked as well. Chef Michael's food is always spot on, and he takes the time to come out and say hello too. At breakfast, Kizzy took good care of us at the buffet. We can't say enough great things about this place. The people there will do anything for you to make your stay a more pleasant one. They certainly keep us coming back!

Room Tip: Note that they have apartments to stay in with a full kitchen, fridge, and microwave if you are stay...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Century House, an Ascend Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!