“I Can't Believe It's An HIE Brand...” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Latham
Miami, Florida
“I Can't Believe It's An HIE Brand...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Something fishy is going on at this hotel and HIE corporate should take a look at how it is operating. For a brief overnight, I can echo just about everyone else's complaints rolled into one. Hall light in my room was out. Refrigerator made so much noise I pulled it out from under the counter and pulled the plug out of the wall. A call to the front desk to inquire about why the wifi didn't work simply never got picked up! At 9:30 at night, I went to the lobby to see if wifi service was functional there. It wasn't -- and another guest had beaten me to the desk to seek help. While I patiently waited my turn, another guest came down to report her room had no hot water; then another guest came to report no towels in her room...The young, cheerful and trying-to-be-helpful desk clerk really had no power to correct any of this! I got the distinct feeling that this poor young man was left alone and uninstructed by the management.

Oh, I left out that the sheets on both queen beds in my room felt clammy; I think they were put on the beds before they were completely dry! I tried each bed and still slid between the covers feeling a tad soggy.

This cross between Fawlty Towers and The Twilight Zone does the HI Express brand name a tremendous disservice. I, an HI Express loyalist, have lost a lot of confidence...I cancelled a second night's stay here at the end of my trip out of a mixture of fear and dismay.

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Latham, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear cbblades,

Thank you for your review. All our guest comments are valuable and we consider them seriously in the consistent endeavor to improve the quality of our products and service.

We are saddened to hear of your encounters in our hotel and would like to extend our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused by the internet service and the shortcomings you had in your room. We regret that your experience with us was not ideal and we are sorry for the lapse in service during your stay.

We appreciate your feedback as this allows us to assess where we have opportunities to make improvements. Rest assured we will make necessary improvements accordingly. We hope that you will give us another chance in the future so we can restore your faith in us.

Dhan M
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Windham
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

My family and I booked two rooms for a weekend to attend a family birthday party. We were disappointed with this hotel. It was the first time we stayed there. The rooms were not very clean. One of the bathrooms had a clogged bathroom sink. The rooms were either too warm or too cold. It would be ideal if there was a fan with high and low speeds to allow a better circulation of air. We attempted to eat the complimentary breakfast but our stomachs turned when we saw one employee who was handling garbage was also handling the food preparation without plastic gloves. The eggs and coffee were watery. We did not eat the breakfast and went to a restaurant to spend money we should not have. The pool was cold. I thought it was suppose to be heated. It is in a good location. The staff was pleasant. We needed to switch one of our reserved rooms because it smelled like smoke even though the entire hotel is suppose to be non-smoking. A staff member helped me with that change. The only plus side is the restaurant on site. I believe it is called On Tap. It does have a bar atmosphere. If one has a family, eating outside on a patio when weather is nice is better to avoid the bar. We had entertainment with a singer singing a variety of music, mostly from 70s and 80s and earlier. It was country, soft rock, etc type music. The food was excellent but a little bit pricey. However, for the quality it was worth it. If On Tap could change the restaurant design to a better atmosphere inside to accommodate families, that would help since the food quality is in their favor. The chef came outside also to see how everyone's meals were. The rooms are too pricey without quality. There is a gift shop but it looks like a junk shop. More choices would be ideal. Without the restaurant, it would have been a complete disappointment.

Dear sandlot,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay with us. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. We are sorry our hotel did not live up to your expectations and regret you were not satisfied with the breakfast service. Please be assured that all comments are acted upon and used to improve the products and service we provide to our guests.

Connie D
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Let me start by saying that my daughters and I stayed at this Holiday Inn Express 2 years ago and had a great experience. Thus, I had no qualms about booking again this year and we were all looking forward to the 4-night stay. This hotel is convenient to Saratoga Springs and cheaper than the hotels right in Saratoga, although I did notice the nightly rate had jumped about $40 in the two-year period.

We were offered the option of the 1st or 5th floor and we chose the 5th, and the two queen bed suite was very clean. At around 1 a.m. the second night I was awakened to what sounded like 10-year-olds racing up and down the halls screaming and banging on doors. I waited to see if they would quiet down and after a half-hour they didn't, so I called the front desk and the night clerk told me that a busload had just checked in but would come upstairs herself to tell them to keep the noise down, which they did. It wasn't the hotel's fault and it was taken care of, although a friend of mine who was staying on the 3rd floor had the same problem.

The third day of our stay we were out from very early in the morning to about 3 p.m., and we wanted to take showers, but housekeeping had only left a bath mat and taken all the towels. I called and was told that all the towels were in the dryer, and housekeeping would be up as soon as some were dry. Two hours later I had to call again and finally some were brought up. Management slipped a note under my door apologizing for the delay.

But management did not give me a written note for what transpired the fourth day - again, we had been out all day, coming back to the room about 10:45 p.m. My older daughter told me that our door was open - I looked and yes, it sure was. It was dark inside the room and we were all afraid that a.) someone was lurking inside and/or b.) we had been robbed. Not that there were any major valuables in the room but still, we were concerned. I debated about calling the front desk before proceeding into the room but decided to open the door, flick on the light, and carefully check it out. Fortunately nothing was missing and there wasn't anyone in the room.

I immediately called the front desk and complained, and was told that probably housekeeping had forgotten to close the door, and my concerns would be relayed to the housekeeping supervisor and that they were very sorry. The next morning, as I checked out, I told the front desk staff again and the two young gentlemen working offered a meek apology. It appeared as if I was disturbing them from looking at something on the computer.

At any rate, I was disappointed in this year's trip to the Holiday Inn Express, and will have to think long and hard before I go back next year.

Room Tip: Upper floors don't have all the noise associated with the free breakfast room on the first floor...
Dear LindaDoc12,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We are sorry for the inconvenience the lapses in the hotels service may have caused. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. Rest assured, your comments will be used for review and actions will be taken accordingly to ensure similar incidents could be avoided.

While we understand that your stay was less than satisfactory, we hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Krysllin G
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

We have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Latham, NY twice on the same trip. First time we were there to ask for help in finding another hotel where we had reservations. The staff were kind enough to spend time helping us try to locate the other hotel, and when we couldn't they offered to match their rate and gave us one of their last rooms. Appreciated their efforts so much that we made a point of staying there on return. Rooms fine, clean, quiet. Pool nice, though small and gets easily crowded. Good breakfast, though they should have some trays. Would be nice if the restaurant provided room service and was not so expensive. Very accessible to 1-87 Thruway. Know that this hotel is popular with Saratoga race track goers and fills up quickly on race weekends.

Room Tip: Area around the elevators tends to be crowded, we chose rooms at the end of the hallway.
New Hartford, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Can not believe this hotel, they can't even get back to the customer. I had a problem with forgetting an item in my room. I called 3 times without a call back, then I called back and spoke with the manager and he was so rude and inconsiderate. They say on the wall "if not completely satisfied your night is free" I am not looking for a free night, but just goes to show that they don't really care about the customer. Then I sent an email to the corporate office and they couldn't even respond. UNBELIEVABLE how customers are treated at this hotel. I will never stay at a Holiday Inn Express again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Latham, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear karen g,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Latham, NY. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Dhan M
Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

After staying at so many Priority Club hotels in USA and Canada, finally they upgraded me to a suite room, particularly Tuscany Suite. The suite is unbelievably huge with jacuzzi and full kitchenette. We really enjoy our stay in suite while the breakfast is similar to any Holiday Inn Express hotels. As a nice gestures, the receptionist offered us to grab any drinks available in small pantry from mineral water, soft drinks, or energy drinks.

The location is outside Albany but not far from huge mall. Since we only have short stay at this hotel, we didn't utilize the facility at the hotels. However, I consider this is a huge Holiday Inn Express as they have different wings for executive rooms and suites.

In general, we are delighted with the upgrade and the room is a true suites.

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

It was a very nice and clean hotel. My husband and I stayed one night and the room was fine and the staff was helpful and friendly. I felt bad that the management made the front desk staff stand up at their post without any chairs or stools to sit down on though.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Latham? Share your experiences!