“A great hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 17 hotels in Latham
Palm
“A great hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

My company sent me to the Albany area for 4 days. I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights and had a wonderful experience. The staff was always pleasant. The room was very nice and well appointed, although a refrigerator would be a welcome addition. The breakfast buffet is always appreciated. Nothing fancy, just good solid breakfast fare. There is an attached restaurant and bar, and the hotel is very close to many other restaurants and shopping areas (car needed).

Room Tip: The elevators are in a separate hall, which means you don't have to listen to elevator doors al...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

132 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Athens, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Have you ever had the experience of walking into a hotel room and wondering how long you can tolerate the perfume smell that is covering up the lack of cleanliness or the mildew and mold? Thankfully, I missed out on that experience this trip.
When we got to the room it looked clean. It smelled clean. And it stayed smelling clean.
It is a modest hotel. There are not a lot of frills. There are some great points and there are some less winning points, but overall it was a good hotel for the money.
Here are the positives:
The rooms really are quite clean. The furniture decent. The beds comfortable.
The cinnamon rolls are outstanding on the buffet and the hours of breakfast are great.
The entire hotel smells and looks good and shows signs of consistent upkeep.
The staff are polite.
Here are the negatives:
There is very little nearby in terms of eating. (but, if you have a car, it is a non-issue)
The hotel pool was very heavy in the chlorine.
Front desk seemed a little understaffed and it was hard to get their attention or you would have to stop talking while the one person answered the phone.

I wish I could give it a little extra half point. It was slightly better than average and I would definitely stay again if a training were in the same area.

Room Tip: Rooms above the second floor do not get car lights sweeping in from the hill outside.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Southington, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The hotel is clean, and the beds are comfortable. The front office staff were very friendly and helpful. Rooms are a decent size as well. We did not use the indoor pool, but it looked clean and I am sure would be enjoyable if we had more free time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Portland, ME
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

If doing business in this part of Latham, this is a great hotel for the price point. Rooms are very spacious. Quick check in and plenty of parking. Nice gym area. Also, there is a restaurant & sports bar on site called On Tap, which is very convenient, as there arent a lot of other places close by. Good breakfast buffet in the AM at the hotel lounge.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

We had to make a quick decision for a place to stay close to family for an unexpected funeral. Not knowing anything about the area we chose this location based strictly on the miles to drive to and from.

The shuttle picked us up at the aiport when we arrived. The driver was very helpful and friendly.

We had a nice large, clean room with 2 beds and a sofa area. Microwave, small fridge and coffee pot.

Breakfast had a large selection of fruit, hot and cold choices. Lots to chose from. Clean, staff constantly moving around cleaning tables and making sure the selections were fresh and full.

I would have no hesitation staying at this hotel again If ever in the area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Clarence, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I stayed at this Hotel on a business trip. Holiday Inn’s are my preference for good reason, as a platinum member I was greeted at the front desk politely and immediately upgraded to a larger room. This hotel from the staff, to a clean well appointed room was a perfect stay. I will certainly stay at this property again when in Albany.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I am a hotel employee of a Holiday Inn Express, so I do know on a daily basis how difficult it can be to have a day in the industry without a hiccup or two, so I decided to write this after my stay, in hopes to accurately describe my stay.

I went to Latham to visit a family member who is a student at Siena College.. I do indeed recommend this location to any Siena parents who want something close by and easy to get to the college, but not directly on campus.

My first impression at checkin was a good one. At the time of booking, the available room type was not specified, (Just the way the booking on my end worked out, NOTHING to do with the Holiday Inn Express itself.) I went into my room, and it was two beds, so I did return to the front desk and asked about the possibility of a room with one bed. The guest service agent was very happy to help while under a great deal of stress at that time, being a lobby full of people, and it sounded like someone on hold. I was appreciative of his assistance.

The room was clean, the color scheme was soothing, I was pleased with just a couple little problems,

1) The bathroom sink was clogged, and something I battled with Friday and Saturday. By Sunday morning, the water would not drain at all.

2) The room was unbearably hot, even with the AC on, Saturday night, I gave up, and removed the cover from the ac, only to find that the ac which had been on before I even checked into the room was frozen, the coil was caked with 1/2 inch of ice, which I then took a blow dryer and my room key and removed all of the ice, so I could make it work properly, cutting my hand in the process. I was psyched to have it working flawlessly for Saturday night into Sunday morning.

3) Saturday afternoon, after a very long morning out, I returned to the room, to find it had been cleaned, but the housekeeper forgot to put towels in, I figured it was no big deal and that I could always pick some up after dinner that night, so I decided to take a nap. Mid-nap the housekeeper returned with them, which was slightly frustrating.

4) Sunday morning sometime around 10:00 am, the door opened again, it was the housekeeper, attempting to clean the room when we had not checked out yet, which left me wondering if anyone communicates to the housekeeping staff, which checkouts have left, and which ones are still there.

As i said, the room was nice, and nicely furnished however, opportunities for improvement would also consist of the mold in the caulking in the shower, dirt in the tub, and urine stain in the caulking around the toilet.

I hope those things are watched a little more in the future.

Room Tip: To anyone staying at this hotel, maybe avoid the first floor. People always have a concern with b...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Latham, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear Trowser,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Latham, NY.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Latham? Share your experiences!