“I was looking forward to this new addition to our town” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #22 of 53 Restaurants in Larchmont
Cuisines: Thai
Larchmont, New York
“I was looking forward to this new addition to our town”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I had been meaning to eat for awhile and finally did so last Week. I was quite disappointed. The service people were disinterested at best and the food was mediocre. People seem to like eating outdoors , so the tiny dining room was rather empty. The lettuce wraps were full of dry cardboardy chicken.
The whole fish was okay but nothing special. The waitresses all seemed more interested in talking with each other, rather than serving the diners or checking to see if they needed anything.

new york
“Wonderful Thai food with great service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Dorian is a small cozy restaurant near the Larchmont train station. The food is excellent. I love the appetizers ( summer spring rolls, chicken satay, salads). The food is just as good. I've had many of the dishes and they were all good. The service is excellent with the most wonderful hostess. I have gone there with my family and have always had a good meal.

Visited September 2013
New York City, New York
“Good , tasty food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I love Thai food, and I am really glad to know that Durian is at just 10 minutes from our home, I have not eaten there (it is a small place); but I have done take out and food is delicious!

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Pelham, New York
“First time try - winner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

I went here with my daughter after we got our hair done on the recommendation of our stylist. The food was very well presented . The waitress was very nice and knowledgable . We had salads with a peanut dressing which I did not care for. I then had chicken fried rice Andy daughter had a chicken and noodle dish both were excellent! Other than the restaurant being tiny no complaints we will be back .

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New Rochelle, New York
“Best Thai I've ever had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Durian has been open for about a year, but was new to me. My first visit was four days ago. The menu is extensive and includes dishes I've not seen at other Thai places, including five different duck dishes, fried pork belly and Thai sausage salad. There were four of us on that first visit, and of the eight dishes we ordered, all were superb except for one, a seafood stew that is normally quite spicy. My wife asked the waitress to tone it down a bit, but through a missed communication it had no seasoning whatever. The other seven dishes, including pork shank, pork belly, duck and grilled oysters were superb.

My wife and I returned for lunch the other day and were just as impressed. This time she had the chicken pad thai, which was as good as any we've had anywhere. I had the Thai sausage salad, which was superb.

The downside to Durian is that it's a very small place and about half of the seats are outside, fine in the summer but not so good in the winter. They don't take reservations. If you're local, it's a good idea to call and see how busy they are before going. Also, if you have special requests or dietary requirements, I suggest you speak directly with the owner/manager rather than with the waitresses, some of whom seem to have a limited command of English. I'm giving the restaurant an overall five stars because the food is so good it makes up for the shortcomings in the service and ambience (the restaurant is next to the Metro-North tracks, with I-95 just beyond). We'll be coming back on a regular basis.

• Visited September 2013