“Great place, amazing staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Lakefront Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lansing
The Lakefront Inn
You added The Lakefront Inn to your Saves list
5 East Shore Circle, Lansing, NY   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Lansing
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
“Great place, amazing staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

My wife and i just got back from a short vacation. We were surprised by the place, website and photos doesnt really reflect the place authenticity and serenity. Its not a 5 stars hotel , but its like 10 stars when it comes to staff.

Room Tip: The room with a balcony is really the best
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Binghamton, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

This was a great experience. The owner was not there a lot so it gave you the personal space that you would want when going to a Bed and Breakfast, but if you had any questions she was always available by phone. I usually am a picky person when it comes to places that I stay at, but this was perfect. The property is in a isolated area so you can really escape life, but it is only a quick 10 minute drive into town, which is a nice place to grab food and for entertainment. All the rooms gave you plenty of personal space. My boyfriend and I did not know that there were other couples staying there until the next morning at breakfast. We went in November and it was still so beautiful. I would defiantly recommend this bed and breakfast to everyone, for anytime of year!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Where to begin? We made last minute reservations based on the photos. They were so misleading. We arrived and called Diana to let her know. She said someone would be there in 40 minutes to greet us. Almost 2 hours later we called again. We weren't comfortable entering and wandering around a 'home' we'd not been too before. Like other guests we felt it was a little creepy with all the clutter. She wanted to give us the downstairs room which had a basement feel and no privacy. We requested to move upstairs since there appeared to be no one else at the Inn. We left for dinner and when we returned the place was dark. Still no one to greet us or show us the facilities. The'living room' appeared to be private quarters (cluttered and dirty)and since no one was there to advise otherwise we stayed in our room. The bath had more than half of the lightbulbs out and the inn was cold and damp. We had heard there was a hot tub but since no one was there we didn't find it. I've read of evening wine and tapas but all we got was the creeps. Definitely not what we expected. We wanted to leave but Diane had our credit information so we felt stuck. She does have a ribbon fettish and tying ribbons around everything does not make it Tuscan. For breakfast we were served scrambled eggs and a slice of melon rind still on (my husbands piece had the stem end still attached) and a muffin (frozen and nuked) since Diana wanted cash we attempted to pay the nice girl that cooked breakfast. She said she didn't do the money but we asked her to please get the payment to Diana and requested a receipt. Do not go here. There are a hundred B and Bs in the area that are wonderful

• Stayed September 2013

Travelers are raving about these Lansing hotels

lima
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We could have probably overlooked the cluttered, unkempt environment if there had been air conditioning but without A/C in close to 90 degree weather and high humidity it was impossible. The B&B did not come close to living up to the pictures on the website. The lake is at least a mile or more away so I would not call it "lake front". The place is very cluttered. I would equate our room to staying in a stuffy antique store. It was large but every spot had something in it except the walking areas. Mirrors, beds, lamps, picture frames, tables, hoola hoops, books, pillows, etc. Even the rugs had rugs on top of each other. The owner is very eccentric but likeable. She bonded with many of the other folks staying there it seemed. The main rooms were also very cluttered. The kitchen was a mess with the fridge dripping water on the floor and a towel shoved against it to keep from getting the floor wet. The icemaker that we were encouraged to use did not work and when it went empty on our first day was not refilled. The grounds have gone to the wild. There are nice gardens that are not being taken care of and are over grown with weeds. Breakfasts were good but not consistent. We were offered one meal option and the next couple were offered two different meal options from the same server. Overall I cannot recommed this B&B even if A/C is not required.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hicksville, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I actually stayed at LF Inn 2 awhile ago. My husband and I wanted to do the wine trail and I thought it would be fun to stay at a B&B. When first speaking to Diane (owner), she booked us at the original property(they say a picture can be deceiving) After a three hour drive arriving at the property was quite shocking. A house was surrounded by woods and overgrowth kept both my husband and I from not even getting out of the car. We called Diane and told her we couldn't stay at the original property. When I finally met her at LF Inn 2, she was taken back by my description of the property. It seems the word "creepy" was an unusual & strange word to her.
Now LF Inn 2 seemed like a much better choice for us but the balcony room (promised at the original property) was not in the picture for us as it was booked already. Then why were we taken on a tour of the place first? We settled for the lower courtyard room but the courtyard wasn't a courtyard yet just a bunch of dirt, piles of bricks and tools waiting for someone to show up and build it.
Now Diane was a very sweet and unusual person. She had the ability and great imagination to turn the topic around and make the situation just perfect. Hey did you ever wonder what was the deal with the paint swatches scattered around. Well it seems that Diane once had a job putting names to the color swatch of paint. I guess that is why her imagination was so unusual.
We did spend two nights in the soon to be the courtyard room and we enjoyed our day trips, and time spent on the wine trail but I have to say I will have to use the word unusual one more time. WE found it UNUSUAL that there was no bar soap allowed in the shower so you had to handle the large bottle of liquid soap to shower with no place to put it inside the shower so in between soaping you had to reach out and place the large bottle on the Roman column getting the floor sapping wet, that breakfast was some sweet waffle with sauce, cream and fruit sending your sugar level sky high, the room had a lot of things scattered around with no purpose and we (two New Yorkers) actually paid too much to stay there as I think we were under the spell of Miss Diane.
One more note we actually stayed at L F INN 2 in August of 2011 but below I was not able to use the date. The reason I am writing this review so late is I happen to be going to a wedding in the area and it brought back the memories of our trip. by the way we are staying elsewhere this time.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Park Hills, KY, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Lakefront Inn 2 for our 1 year anniversary trip. We stayed in the Premiere room, and it was BEAUTIFUL! We had our own private balcony overlooking the lake, and I don't think we could have been in a better location. The room was clean, smelled fresh, and very comfortable. We even had an indoor hammock! Strange, but I enjoyed the comfort. We ate breakfast outside on the common area's balcony, STILL with an amazing view. Diane was very accommodating and the food was very yummy. There were books upon books everywhere (I'm a big reader, so I LOVED this) and the decor was whimsical. You just have to laugh and enjoy it :) We were right down the street from King's Ferry Winery and only a few miles from MANY MANY others! Downtown Ithaca was like 6 miles down the road, where enjoyed both lunch AND dinner on Monday, and hiking trails about 10 miles with a plethora of waterfalls. We would absolutely go back here. We loved every minute of it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

We had a very enjoyable stay at this B & B in mid-May. We were fortunate enough to have the place to ourselves for the first two nights of our three-night stay, which is likely unusual during peak periods and weekends. It was just what we were looking for – a place to relax in lovely, very clean, comfortable surroundings which we used as a base to explore the surrounding area. It is an easy 6 or 7 mile drive to Ithaca and the areas parks, waterfalls other interesting things to see are all within comfortable driving distances.

As one reviewer mentioned, this is not the Holiday Inn. That’s a good thing, because if you want the Holiday Inn, you’d probably find something closer to it at the Holiday Inn ;). What is annoying to some is charming to others. Some will complain that the dining area is “cluttered” with pamphlets, books, pictures, etc., while others might appreciate the thoughtful, artistic owner who places brochures of local attractions, board and card games, books, assorted trinkets and maps in accessible places for guests to browse through if they wish. One reviewer says “witchy” décor, whereas I might say “whimsical”. I’m sure anyone would appreciate the large, bright, sun-filled dining area with a walkout to a large deck overlooking the lake, with tables and umbrellas - a beautiful start to a day.

Others might complain that this is not a “lakefront” property at all and that the lake is a considerable distance away from the B & B. Perhaps calling it “lakefront” is a teeny bit of a stretch – I would think it is more lake “lakeview” – but these are semantics. The point to me is that the pictures on the web site accurately depict the view of the lake and fairly show the space between the B & B and the lake (which is unobstructed except by beautiful trees closer to the shore). So if you like what you see in the pictures, chances are you’ll like what you see when you arrive. If you want to walk down to a sandy lakefront beach……this might not be your place.

We found the place to be quite lovely with an artistic almost spiritual feel (tarot cards, astrology books, etc.) that reflects the character and personality of Diane (the owner). Yes, it is a little unusual, which we did not consider a negative. For example, in our room, (the “Premiere Room), in addition to a king-sized bed, a hammock stretched across one side of the room, filled with pillows, books, small picture frames will pictures of flowers, ribbons and assorted trinkets. Unusual – but charming. As for the room itself, it is the only guest room on the top floor of the building (this is Lakefront Inn 2 – there is another one). It is a large room filled with light from windows and skylights in the cathedral ceiling. The bed was soft and comfortable. It is a little short of drawer and surface space (that hammock is charming but a dresser might be more useful). There is a walkout to a large, private balcony overlooking the lake, so you can sit and enjoy the view while you enjoy a meal, a snack or a drink (or two) or just gaze at the star-filled night sky. It has a good-sized ensuite bathroom with a walk-in shower and a Jacuzzi sized for two (although on that day the hot water ran short before it was filled; we had no problem with hot water for showers).

Diane was welcoming, friendly, thoughtful and accommodating. She has a bit of Woodstock in her, which undoubtedly accounts for the spiritual feeling of the place. Breakfasts were prepared by different people each day and they were friendly and helpful with recommendations for things to do (thank you, Greg and ?Katie?). This is not the standard hotel buffet breakfast – it is more like something you might make in your own kitchen. One day it was a vegetable omelette with fruit, while another it was waffles (also with fruit). If you have any specific requests or food restrictions, you might let Diane know in advance and, if she can, I’m sure she would try to accommodate you (as they did for us with a gluten restriction).

All in all, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Lakefront Inn 2. It is probably overstating it to say it is like Tuscany or a Mediterranean Villa Estate. It is not overstating it to say that it is a very clean, comfortable lovely B & B run by a warm, welcoming friendly person who genuinely wants her guests to enjoy their stay – as we did.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Lakefront Inn? Share your experiences!