“cold and disheveled” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Lakefront Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lansing
The Lakefront Inn
5 East Shore Circle, Lansing, NY   |
Ranked #2 of 2 hotels in Lansing
Waterloo
“cold and disheveled”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

We arrived in the dark and were welcomed to a B+B with no host and to a house that only had heat on in our bedroom. None of the rest of the house was heated. Our room was eclectically decorated but when arriving from a long drive we didn't have any place to relax, converse or read except on wrought iron patio furniture brought indoors. When exploring the rest of the upstairs we discovered a living room/dining room disheveled and clearly not welcoming for overnight guests. We wondered what the morning would bring and if we would be expected to eat our breakfast in a frigid and cluttered dining room. In the morning we asked to have our breakfast brought to our room. The young woman that brought it said that she didn't blame us and showed us how she was wearing 4 layers just to stay warm while she made breakfast. She was friendly and was trying her best to make us feel welcomed. We ate our omelette and drank our coffee on our wrought iron table. This was a very disappointing stay and I would definitely not be recommending Diane and her B+B on the off-season. If you can't heat and provide full conveniences to your guests then I would suggest you close over the winter months. We moved on to the Acorn Inn and were blown away with Cheryl's hospitality, the warmth of her Inn and the extrordinary manner in which she greeted and cared for her guests - no detail was overlooked! ! ! Night and day in comparison and not that much difference in price! Travel a couple of lakes over and experience the ultimate in B+B indulgence!

Room Tip: Stayed on the main entrance level floor - would most likely be great in the summer with the access t...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

42 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Ithaca, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

I'm still in the afterglow of the fabulous experience that we had at Lakefront II in Lansing.

The accomodations were luxiourous (flet like a princess, sleeping in a pillow bed), enjoyed the hot tub under the stars Saturday night after hiking to Ludlowflalls earlier that beautiful day, and then having a fun time at the Hangar Theatre in Ithaca, topped off by an ice cream cone at Purity's.

Then fell into my pillow bed after a great shower with wonderfully scented body wash and shampoos.

Oh and then woke up to a delicious breakfast of homemade custard waffles (no the wouldn't give me the recipe, so I guess I'll have to go back), and then a fun day in Ithaca at Porchfest.

I can't say enough about how great thie staff and owner were, warm and welcoming.

I'm still in the afterglow, can't you tell

Room Tip: no matter where you sleep, you can't lose.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
New Haven, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Lakefront Inn 2 just after I took the bar exam, and it was a perfect way to relax. Diane was delightful, from providing plenty of pictures and details to help make a reservation to accommodating our late arrival to giving us little gifts when we left.

We stayed in the Tuscan Room, which is the cheapest room because it is somewhat in the middle of things and its private bathroom is across the hall, but it still had a wonderfully comfortable bed and a beautiful view of Lake Cayuga from the balcony. The bathroom had a pretty border to the tile that was handmade in an on-site kiln, and the whole place had whimsical details like ribbons tied around all the bathroom bottles.

Breakfasts featured fresh local ingredients. Our first morning we started with a local cheese with sliced apples and grated ginger, followed by frittata with fresh beans and fruit, and a banana smoothie on the side. The next two mornings we had waffles and french toast, both with fresh fruit. Eating breakfast on the balcony overlooking the lake was a wonderful way to start each morning!

The next time we are visiting Ithaca, we will be coming back. Far nicer than any of the pricier hotels around!

Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

Don't stay here, it's ours!! haha! Seriously, this place is amazing! When you first pull up, you don't know what to expect, as it isn't your typical B&B (which intrigued our adventurous souls even more!). Upon meeting Diane, the Inn Keeper, she immediately made us feel welcome and was such a kind spirit. She gave us a tour of the property, and to our luck, we were the only ones staying there!! We got to choose our room, and of course, picked the Overlook room, with the best view of the lake from the balcony and from the foot of the bed, the most adorable, bright room, and the bathroom with a claw tub (romance awaiting.. ;-)) There was no TV, which was great because who wants to go to a romantic getaway home and watch TV?? Thankfully we did have air conditioning in our room, since it was in the 90's! Diane was knowledgable about the area, gave us some great tips about restaurants and waterfalls, and gave us free reign of the kitchen! It was like staying at our house!! The first morning we made our own private breakfast, the second morning we went to the Lakefront Inn 2 to have a delicious, healthy, gourmet breakfast. All in all, the house itself is decorated very uniquely, has a cozy feeling with hammocks spread throughout, and a very inviting feeling. Both the place and Diane remind you to enjoy the simple pleasures in life!! We truly enjoyed our stay, and will DEFINITELY go back!! If you're not sure when you first arrive, give it a chance, you'll love it! This was our first B&B experience, and we'll always compare others to this place!! We plan on going back often!!

PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

Well were do I begin. Made reservation in June. Told them it will be my family of 4 (two boys 16 & 11). We were told an hour before to call to make sure the room is ready and it was. Told us not to park in front of rooms so we don't block view for other guest. Fine, not sure were to park however as we are sitting there a couple pulls up and parks where we find out is our room. They stayed parked there all night. By now another car parked next to them. Didn't block there view just our. When we walked up to the doors there were weeds no nice plants or potted plants etc.. We walked in and nobody around. Not sure where to go head up the steps finally meet someone. She told us our room is down the steps (first floor on the left) she shows us our room and brings extra sheets for one of my sons. We leave and come back about 9pm. The first thing was the flies. I spent about 20 mins. killing flies. (Now you know you would be woken by one of them early in the AM!) After killing the flies I step out to sit out on our little porch (with other peoples cars right in fron of us) and I look at the scrren and theres a large hole in it. Closed the door killed another couple of flies. My boys notice there no TV inthe room and no air conditioner. (There were two fans). Room was dusty, since I was killing flies I really got to see the dust inthe windows etc.. Start to made them there bed and the sheets she gave us had a BIG WHOLE in it. There was a hot tub outside around the corner no path no ;ights weeds around it not sure if it really worked. The gazebo looked liek it needed soem weeds to be pulled. In the morning went up the stairs for breakfast waited about 10-15 mins. no juice of any kind for the boys she said just hot water for tea or coffee, Then breakfast egg/potato frittata (which was burnt ) with watermelon and a couple of blueberries with grain toast and kids had water to drink. No other choices of breakfast. Of course I have a picky eater (11 yr old) . However, she did which I was glad made him a scrambled egg with cheddar cheese. Well now that I have told you this if you look in the Ithaca Tour Guide book it tells you that they have a TV and air condition, trails etc.. we were not told anything jsut heres your room. All in all she was nice but first impression last a long time and it was our first time at a B&B.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Lansing hotels

Hackensack, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

This was my first time staying in a B&B, so I was hesitant at first. My GF and I went up with another couple and they gave us a wing to ourselves including a shared porch. The first thing you notice going into the house is that this is not your typical B&B (or what I thought a B&B was). The entire house was recently renovated and the pictures on the site do not suffice.

As we arrived, we were greeted by the owner who gave us a quick tour and opened a bottle of wine for us. She also made us some tapas, that we were not a fan of but it was the thought that counted. Since we came as 2 couples they gave us a private wing with our own bathroom which was very nice. The B&B did not have a TV, but we hardly noticed since we were on the porch looking at the amazing views most of the time.

The room we stayed in was very nice except for some minor things. The bed we got was really 2 twin beds combined, so if we rolled in the middle you sunk a bit. Also, the sun shines quite brightly and the curtains didnt do a good job of keeping out the sun in the morning but since we are morning people we did not mind. Also, keep in mind that there is no AC in the rooms. This was only a problem on the second night we were there since we got sunburned. However to help with it, the caretaker went out and bought us fans for the room!

Every morning when we got up there was coffee and tea set out in the living room. But the best part is that if you did not want to go to the living room to eat, they would bring your food to your balcony so you could have a private breakfast, very nice touch. In regards to the breakfast, it was 7.6 / 10. We had pancakes with fruit one day and french toast the other. The problem was the food was a bit cold when we got it but still very tasty.

Another great feature about this B&B is how easy going they are. Myself and the other guy were surprising our GFs with a boat trip on the lake and we needed to keep the food cold that we were taking on the boat. So the caretaker told us to just put it in the fridge. Very accomodating which really helped us.

The big question is would I stay here again, and I would say, Yes I would. But more than likely in Early Fall / Late Summer.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2011

We stayed at the original Lakefront Inn for a night and toured the second Inn the next day. The original Inn is filled with ephemera and adorned with personal touches. The views are gorgeous and you're only a few steps from the shore. Diane made us feel very much at home. She prepared an exceptional breakfast for us and was more than happy to share the stories behind many of the fascinating items that occupy the inn as well as the inn itself. She is quite a fascinating woman so don't pass up the opportunity for conversation. The second building is larger and also beautiful in a more polished and formal way. We look forward to giving it a try sometime soon.

Room Tip: The premiere room is absolutely stunning.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Lakefront Inn? Share your experiences!