“Unique experience to delight even the most experienced rider” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 15 Attractions in Jinja
Type: Tours, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Join us for a unique ride through a typical Ugandan village and a stunning section along the banks of the Nile. On our overnight and multiday rides you can also experience the views from the hills overlooking the Nile valley, canter through the stunning plantation vistas and relax in the tranquility of Mabira forest.
Lonodn
“Unique experience to delight even the most experienced rider”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

We have just returned from a fabulous 3 day ride with Nile Horseback safaris and want to say a big thanks to Natalie and her team for such an amazing time. We are horse owners in the UK and firstly must say what a credit her horses are to her. It can’t be so easy keeping horses in a tropical environment but they are in tip top condition, I rode a thoroughbred and a thoroughbred X saddlebred cross, they both expertly schooled and absolutely fearless in their environment. The riding was brilliant – we enjoyed long long canters with great vistas and, best of all, the wide eyed amazement of the local villagers, at seeing foreigners on horses. Well not all of them were even sure what they were, one man asked us if they were horses or camels and if they ate eachother! Many turned the tables and were taking photos and film of us on their mobile phones! The accommodation was great, we spent 2 nights at Holland Park in a lovely cottage with river views an upstairs bedroom and lovely ground floor living room and kitchen. The lovely chef Zoe, left by all the ingredients for a perfect breakfast, pancake mix, bacon eggs, even on request some hot sauce. We couldn't have been more comfortable. One the 3rd night we rode to the Mabira Rainforest lodge. A long ride with a lovely picnic lunch on a hilltop, usual stunning views and small collection of local kids giggling and wondering at the horses. The forest was a welcome cool refuge after the hot Ugandan dust and we fairly staggered to the bar for one of the best beers of our lives!
The last day we rode back through the forest and spotted a fruit bat, just hanging on a tree by the road, very cute, along with the usual complement of oversized butterflies and myriad of birds. We ended up at the Haven, what a gorgeous view! And a lovely meal.
By the end I never wanted to leave. I have ridden in South Africa, Namibia, Mozembique and many other countries in the world, but didn’t have great expectations of Uganda as it hardly has a horse riding culture. I couldn't have been more mistaken. This was the furthest and fastest I have ever ridden in 3 days and with such gorgeous views and the almost surreal response of the locals. Natalie organises shorter trips for the less experienced, but if you are a real horse lover and want a really unique experience you won’t regret it. I only wished we had stayed longer.

Visited February 2013

Alaska
30 attraction reviews
“An Excellent Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

A friend of mine who works in Luwero, a village in Uganda, and myself, recently took the 2 day Safari offered by Nile Horseback Safaris. It was the highlight of my Christmas visit to Uganda. My friend is not an experienced rider so they arranged a good steady horse that did not bolt at anything strange, and for myself they gave me a good big horse that had just enough playfulness to make me feel as though I were "riding", but was still a good steady and responsive mount. The guides were great, with Moses the lead guide having a wonderful sense of humor, and willing to stop and let us take a break when we felt the need to do so. I only ride about once or twice a year, although I am experienced, so a break every 45 minutes to get off and stretch our legs was a good idea. The scenery in which we rode couldn't be beat. We started off through villages, where we provided entertainment for the children, who like to practice their "hello how are you" phrase. When we reached our destination for the night, called The Haven, it was amazing. A beautiful, luxury place situated above some gorgeous falls in the river. The food and service was incredible. The beds, shower, food, and attention to our comfort couldn't be beat. The next morning it rained very hard for about an hour and we waited that out. After that ceased we mounted up for the 2nd days ride. (oh and we had eaten an abundant and delicious breakfast while waiting for the rain to stop) This 2nd day we rode through jungle, where one of the guides, George, had to employ the machete a few times as trees had fallen across the path, but it provided some amusement and laughter for us (except maybe George who was working hard). Then we came out into sugar cane and tea plantations which have their own kind of beauty. We also saw a baboon in a tree and many kinds of bird. At the end of the ride, Natalie and her lovely 6 yr old daughter were waiting with a delicious lunch and arranged some accommodations for us that were wonderful and in which we stayed the next 2 nights. I absolutely recommend this Safari, I wish I could go on the 7 day one, it is on my "bucket list" although I doubt I will get back to Uganda again. Even if a person can't do the overnight Safari, I am sure that their 1 hour, 2 hour, or 3 hour trips are outstanding. They are lovely and well organized people.

Visited December 2012
Lisboa, Portugal
“Riding Program in Jinja”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

Congrats. You guys are great, very friendly. Your program was wonderful. Especially because you have attention to various learning levels of riders. I strongly recommend.

Visited December 2012
Calgary, Canada
“Great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

We thoroughly enjoyed our ride (2 hours) though the villages, farms, and woods. As a novice rider I did not fell unsafe at all throughout the trip. The horses were great and the guides were very good - explains everything we needed to know about trot and cantor. Overall it was a great experience on the Nile.

Lagos, Lagos, Ni
5 attraction reviews
“Wonderful way to enjoy the Nile for all levels of riders”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

I did the beginners ride 1 hour with a friend who has never been on the back of horse. I had a wonderful ride, even though I am not a confident rider, They catered for both of us so we both returned wanting to ride again. I loved the fact that the horses are so well cared for, the personal attention is also excellent. Our safety was a great concern to the guides. Well Done to Bosco I have signed up to continue riding.

Visited October 2012