“Couldn't have asked for a more perfect Honeymoon setting” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Manta Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pemba Island
The Manta Resort
Save Saved
You added The Manta Resort to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Box 32 | Wete, Tanzania   |
Ranked #2 of 5 hotels in Pemba Island
London, United Kingdom
“Couldn't have asked for a more perfect Honeymoon setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

The Manta Resort is absolutely sublime. If your idea of a getaway/tropical island is unspoilt surroundings, buidlings in absolute harmony in style and materials to the environment around it, and friendly professional staff, head here!

We had an absolutely fantastic time when we came for our honeymoon in Nov/Dec 2012, so good I've been meaning to write this for months!

The island was in fact more beautiful than we’d imagined, and the resort itself exactly what we were hoping for –even better, perhaps! The staff were just so friendly and couldn’t do enough for us, the food was really very good and the cocktails were fantastic...my favourite was the Voodoo Juice with rum, marmalade and clove honey! The actual resort was designed so tastefully - in keeping with the general feel of the place, but with some really very stylish decorative touches. Wonderful!

We did next to nothing: swam, read books, ate, drank and wafted from the pool to the sea as the tides changed. We also learnt to scuba dive and that really was a revelation. David, the divemaster, was excellent.

To balance out this review, I think it's fair to point out that there are no plasma screens or more standard luxury touches you might find in other resorts on the main Zanzibar Island - not an issue for us, but some might prefer the tennis court touch.

So, thank you so much to the team at Manta. I should also thank Bruce Campbell at Pure Zanzibar, who was simply gifted at sensing that we wanted something a bit different to the standard Zanzibar trip.

Room Tip: make the most of the sundowners in the beach bar. the garden villas might not have the sea view dir...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

194 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

This is a really unique place and one you have to experience but first let me manage your expectations, it's not a 5 star, chain/branded resort that applies the same principles all over the world, this is bespoke service in a very remote resort which is a little freyed round the edges.

- fantastic staff who will go well beyond their call of duty to assist you and enhance your stay, if you need something ask and they will try to find/do it for you with a big smile. This resort also offers truly personalised service via your own waiter/service fundi so first names used and they'll remember how you'll like your tea/coffee plus what cocktail your drinking in the evening!

- Ocean facing rooms are huge and the day beds on the balcony are lovely, showers were always hot and pressure good.

- Food & drink was very good, premium spirits and definately free flowing, staff regularly asked guests if they'd like a drink. Food I would describe as very good but I'm not a big foodie so others may have different expectations/opinions.

- Resort was full while I was there in February but the great thing is it felt empty. Even though the pool was out of use I counted only 4 other couples on the beach while I was there and the closest to my sun lounger was a few metres away. This is a peaceful resort and the perfect place to truly escape and wind down.

- Spa - this is the one area I feel could be improved that said I regularly visit a high end spa so maybe my expectations are too high but couple of things worth mentioning about it: therapist didn't check if I had any injuries or problem areas, no choice of oil and the one used didn't smell of anything specific or very nice plus my skin felt greasy rather than hydrated and moisturised. Therparist cut my massage short because she was running behind and another guest was waiting outstide the room thus I got a 15 min massage! Next day I had another which lasted approx 45 mins, massages themselves were ok but after my muscles didn't feel loser nor did I feel the knots/tension had been worked out, had I have paid for the massages I wouldn't have been satisfied.

- Journey from the airstrip to the resort takes approx 1hr 15mins but be warned the cars aren't the cleanest and don't have air con (wasn't an issue for me but might be for some) the journey itself is interesting, roads disappear for approx 5km as you approach the resort so it's pretty bumpy.

Overall an enjoyable stay and would highly recommend The Manta Resort, hopefully I'll be able to return at somepoint.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Arusha
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Excellent place to stay. Very nice with a pool and good food. The all-inclusive package is good, but do know that you won't get any fancy alcohol on it. They didn't even have gin when we were there, but it was end of season! None the less, AWESOME place. Beautiful diving and snorkeling. Excellent dive equipment and staff. Would definitely go back again. Watch out for the bushbabies!

Room Tip: Swamp rooms if the bush babies are coming in too much.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

The resort and our stay was very relaxing. The sea front villas in my opinion are well worth the extra money. We had travelled to Pemba for the diving and were not terribky impressed given the distance and effort to get there. We dove only in the mornings, and saw mostly small stuff. Perhaps we have been spoiled by the GBR and Sipadan adventures. The staff was remarkably friendly.

Food could be improved but good standard.
The transit car from the airport to the resort was not aligned with my expecation for a 5star resort- I would hope that this detail will be adressed given the 1.5hr journey.

overall a beautful stay

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We will be coming back to Manta. Five days was definitely not enough.

What I like most about Manta is that it is not a luxury resort plunked down on a beautiful tropical island. It is a luxury resort that grew out of a beautiful tropical island. Everything...from the lodge, to the villas, to the beach bar and the umbrellas...was built by people from the surrounding villages. The staff are local, the food is sourced from the fishermen whose local harbor happens to be 200 metres up the beach. As a result, the local community seems to respect and value the resort and its guests, and I did not sense any of the animosity felt by locals near other resorts I've been to.

Highlights
- Snorkling right off the beach, or via a short sea-kayak paddle; we saw hundreds of crazy fish, morey eels, and giant starfish (we didn't dive, but hear it's fantastic)
- The ginger lemongrass sling...quite possibly the best cocktail I've ever had
- Getting to know Selle (or any of the other 'butlers' for lack of a better word, who are matched up one-to-one to take care of you throughout your visit)
- Incredibly fresh seafood and high quality cooking
- Big bed, nice open room, with gorgeous sea views (in seaside villa)

Tips
- Be careful not to lock your partner in your villa...it's very easy to accidentally slide the bolt on the outside while leaving. Trust me, I know.
- Take advantage of the daily massages
- Bring your own suncream, and lots of it...it's a bit hard to come by locally
- Don't stress about flight connections etc...these are small planes, and we were told they would wait if we were a bit late

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We had a wonderful stay after a pretty full-on three weeks in Tanzania. We had just come from a research centre in the Usambara Mountains, so what we really needed was some relaxation, luxury and some great food. We got all that and more, everything was taken care of with the staff all incredibly friendly.
The snorkelling from the beach was great and I'm sure when they have the under-water room available that will provide a really unique experience.
We were really pleased and surprised that all inclusive was including all cockails and wines as well as local drinks, and we were also able to have a joint massage each day.

We also went out birdwatching one afternoon with one of the staff and we were able see all the Pemba endemic birds (three of them actually occur in the grounds).
Meal on the last night was a great experience.

Room Tip: Cottages with beach view and bed on the veranda are great.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Canterbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We have just returned from a week in paradise and found that we didn't want to leave. Manta is not the slickest or most luxurious place to stay (in fact the term 'Resort' could be a bit misleading) but it's one of the most authentic, welcoming and naturally beautiful places I have ever had the pleasure of staying.

When you arrive you are welcomed into the Manta family which to the more cynical would appear to be a clever marketing ploy....

Let me reassure you that this is not the case.

The warmth and hospitality of this place really sets it apart and the staff, from the guys who rake the beach to your personal service fundi, are from the local village. This is genuine Tanzanian hospitality and your service fundi will even take you to his village and introduce you to his family if you like!

Manta sources its supplies locally, shares its water with the local village and is actively involved in improving the lives of the local community through a philosophy of ethical tourism.

This is a place to truly relax and unwind, gradually reconnecting with nature and what's truly important in life. The beach is perfect powdery white sand and you can enjoy good snorkeling from the water line. The scuba diving around Pemba is also spectacular with a variety of wonderful dive sites nearby. We saw a pod of dolphins from our veranda and the sunsets were simply stunning. All our alcohol was included and we especially enjoyed making our way through the variety of rum cocktails on offer (which are something of a specialty here).

This is nature at its best and at night you can see the milky way so clearly the amount of stars are almost like a cloud across the nights sky. If you want an authentic experience of real Tanzanian hospitality in a remote location of unspoilt natural beauty, you can't do much better than Manta. It'll take you a couple of days to really relax into the vibe of the place so you really need to spend a week here at the very least.

We're already looking forward to our return and next time we'll make sure we stay for longer.

Room Tip: Stay in a Sea View Villa to make the most of the light, space and beautiful views.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Manta Resort? Share your experiences!