“Heaven on earth” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fundu Lagoon

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pemba Island
Fundu Lagoon
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Pemba Island
Lymington, United Kingdom
“Heaven on earth”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

This was an idyllic place ( almost as idyllic as Aitutaki in the Cook Islands). Luxury cottage was fabulous but a long walk! Appearance was deceptively odd but it did all work perfectly and was ideal for the situation. Delightful deck with plunge pool was perfect for cooling down. Wonderful main pool area high up with amazing views.

Food in restaurant was not wonderful but definitely "good". Restaurant service was "variable" but there was nothing to rush for so it really didn't matter. This is definitely a place to chill out and stop stressing.

The house wine which was inclusive but the white was OK the rose quite nice but the red poor.
Addiitional cost wines and drinks were most reasonably priced.

Took the village walk experience - very interesting guide who seemed the be a Tanzanian athletic champion. It was quite a steep climb and very hot which he insisted on taking at a fast pace. When he slowed down as we requested he just sped up again. Had a long siesta after the lunch!

The day diving trip to Misali was wonderful - the whole island is a nature reserve with very informative guides.

Liz, the hotel manager, was very helpful although difficult to locate.

An unpleasant send-off was the 6% charge for paying by debit card.

Room Tip: The luxury cottages are much better but a long walk. This is in a remote location which can only...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
ellis f, Creative Director at Fundu Lagoon, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you very much for your review of Fundu Lagoon. I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed your accommodation and plunge pool, and yes, I would agree that some walking is involved to get there, but it is on soft sand! I also agree with you that our infinity pool does have the most stunning views.

I take on board the few criticisms that you had during your stay with us, and they will be dealt with when I return to Fundu in the coming few weeks. The 6% credit/debit card charge is an unfortunate fee that is levied by just about every hotel in Africa, but maybe we need to consider making that clearer to our guests before they arrive.

Feedback from our clients is important to us, so thank you again for taking the time and trouble to write – it is much appreciated.

c.c. Hannes Wolters (General Manager)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
East London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Hi Ellis

We just wanted to thank you & your crew @ Fundu Lagoon - our experience at your resort deserves a place in Sir David Attenborough greatest places on earth !!

Having our wedding @ Fundu was an experience it almost feels impossible to surpass, but look forward to trying

I did however want to spend more time thanking everyone, especially you and all @ Fundu for the amazing way which everyone rallied to assist us. It is an amazing tribute to you, Hannes & the Fabulous Fundu team to be able to cope with our disorganisation, last minute changes & dramas. Nothing could have prepared us for people continually committing and bailing until the last minute, but Hannes, Martie & Lizzie etc. picked up the pieces and we didn't even notice a blip as the entire process just seemed to carry on seamlessly in the background ( and I'm sure it wasn't behind the scenes !! :)

Hannes we owe you a special thank you for handling the ceremony sprung on at the end, because nothing could have prepared us for the response and participation of all Fundu's staff and Wambaa friends, our new Pemban family !!

The week @ Fundu was an absolute dream, the way everyone looked after us - it's the closest, I think any one of us would come to experiencing the luxury of royalty - but nothing could have prepared us for the overwhelming luxury of life as a wedding guest @ Fundu. We feel honoured to be able to have shared our vows with our extended Pemban family and can't wait to spend every wedding anniversary there !!

J&B

Room Tip: No. 11 & don't forget your sunscreen :)
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Hi Bronwyn,

Thank you and Jonathan for being our very first couple to get married at Fundu Lagoon. It was quite memorable wasn’t it?! It was our pleasure to help to make your day so special, and all the staff enjoyed the magic of having a wedding take place at the resort.

We look forward to seeing you both on your 1st wedding anniversary and many more to come. Your kind words are much appreciated.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

My husband and I were looking for a luxury diving location and we certainly found it.

We came across the hotel in a book including the best and most luxurious diving locations in the world and thought the pictures looked. We checked on TripAdvisor and saw almost 100% good evaluation but were a little nervous of booking because we don't normally choose full board. We are just back and I felt I had to do a review to say how absolutely delighted we were with every aspect of the holiday (except the journey which was long!).

The hotel is beautiful, isolated and peaceful. There are only about 18 rooms, so a maximum of about 36 guests staying at any one time but the feel of the place is much larger. There are two restaurants serving delicious food and a Jetty bar where people go to watch the sun going down and drink a cocktail. The service is extremely friendly and polite and surprisingly efficient. Almost best of all, all the drinks are included and the wine is actually really rather nice (South African). Snacks and basket meals are available in the Pool Bar whilst the main restaurant offers three courses at lunch and supper and a huge selection of dishes at breakfast, all freshly made, and also includes cereals and pastries and croissants. My only complaint is that I am sure I have put on loads of weight!!!

The diving centre is excellent and very efficient and the equipment they provided for me was all new and of very good quality. the diving was not taxing and I suppose the really adventurous diver might think it a bit tame - the main attraction is the abundance and quality of the coral - simply amazing!

All in all, we had a wonderful week and very much hope that we can go back there again. We thought the hotel offered incredible value for money.

Beware if you are someone who needs constant communication with home - there is no wifi and only one computer for the use of guests and there didn't appear to be any mobile phone reception. This was exactly what we wanted but if you need to be in touch with people, it is a little tricky.

Room Tip: If you want the sound of the rolling waves, choose a beach room. The hillside rooms have lovely vie...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
ellis f, Creative Director at Fundu Lagoon, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind review of Fundu Lagoon. We are indeed a long way away from everything, but that distance does make Fundu so special as it gives the resort that sense of peace and tranquillity which you and your husband clearly felt from your wonderful remarks.

I am very happy to hear that you both enjoyed the food and beverage menus on offer at Fundu. Our General Manager and chefs constantly liaise with creating new dishes, and we try to grow as many vegetables as possible on site too.

Our special away-from-it-all location does mean that modern day technology can be somewhat haphazard. We do not have wifi at Fundu, but there is a dedicated internet station available for guests to use in our gift shop.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your diving excursions. We are very fortunate in having the most wonderful underwater life on our doorstep, and the corals are indeed quite stunning.

I am however, particulary delighted that you feel that you got ‘incredible value’ for money, and I too hope that we will be able to welcome you both back to Fundu at some future date.

London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

This is a bit of a mixed review and I am disappointed to be having to write it.

Fundu Lagoon is an amazing location. There are beautiful views across the bay from the accomodation, restaurants and bars. We had a superior suite and it was incredibly spacious with lots of places to sit and the plunge pool was extremely welcome and was used numerous times a day.

When we arrived at the port for the 20 minute motor boat final part of our journey there was the Zanzibar ferry and a cement boat there making it difficult for us to get onto our boat. This of course was completely outside of the control of Fundu and Ellis, one of the owners offered my wife and I a head, shoulder and neck massage at the Spa. I did not want a massage so Liz let my wife have a full body massage. This was very generous of them.

Liz, the manager is wonderful. She is extremely genuine and goes out of her way to accomodate guests requests and ensures they have a good time.

The tented accomodation was a bit dated but comfortable and had everything we needed. The drains in the shower stank and on the last day there was a large crab in the shower. Whilst our tea, coffee and fridge were stocked daily our shower gel was not replenished. The cleaning overall was very good but the bathroom resin floor was filthy and needed a proper scrub rather than a light wipe with a damp mop. The wc pan was cracked.We put used and dirty towels on the floor expecting them to be replaced and they were hung up again. In the end we left them outside on the decking. Ash trays were not emptied for three days and again I put them on the walkway next to the tent so that the cleaners had to walk past them. When food was ordered from the pool bar and delivered to the room at midday the plates etc' were left until the next day to be cleared away. Again I piled them up and put them beside the tent.

We ate from the pool bar every day, sometimes breakfast and lunch but always lunch. We usually had the food delivered to our tent. They things like served burger and chips, club sandwich, fish cakes, fish fingers and chips. The food was very good and freshly cooked and despite the walk to deliver it hot.

Unfortunately the same cannot be said for the main restaurant. I opted for the full "English" every day. On two occasions I got no eggs. I asked for two toast every day and apart from one day only got one. Two days the breakfast was stone cold.

In the restaurant ibn the evening on day 1 I ordered tuna carpaccio starter. I was incredibly salty and smothered in citrus juice. I eat absolutely anything but this was completely inedible. I had two mouthfuls and left it. For the main I had lamb which was very chewy and tasted like it had been reheated.

Day 2 - I had over cooked pork loin. My wife ordered fish with noodles. The noodles turned out to be shredded vegetables. Not what she thought she was ordering.

Day 3 - Swahili barbecue. Very good starters. The only meat for the main was a chicken curry. lots of bone and very little meat.

Day 4 - My wife had fish. The board does not specify which fish which would be very helpful. The fish turned out to be marlin. Raw in the middle, tough as old boots to cut. When my wife complained the duty manager went and spoke to the chef and came back and said it was supposed to be like this. And that just about sums it up. The chef is crap. The management and owner are clueless when it comes to food and think what is being served is good.

I had a chicken leg in a really rich sauce which would have been more appropriate with a red meat.

Day 5 - beach barbecue. My wife is allergic to shellfish which Fundu knew. The fish was cooked on the same barbcue as the lobster and we watched the cook use the same tongs for the lobster as he did for the meat. Therefore my wife could eat nothing. The same duty manager who defended the chef previously went and spoke to them and came back and said that they had not done this despite us watching them do it. He did offer have something cooked for my wife which she initially declined. Then Liz came over and persuaded my wife to let them make her something. They produced a spaghetti bolognaise which was very nice. I did eat the lobster which was delicious.

Day 6 - I had lamb tagine with unstoned green olives. The olives really didn't go with this dish and there was hardly any meat. I ate the meat and left the olives. My wife had mushroom stroganoff which was on a bed of mashed potatoe. Again the mash was a bit odd but the stroganoff was very nice.

Day 7 - We had pork chop with dauphinoise potatoes. The potatoes were very good. The pork chop was tough. Again cooked previously and reheated. The veg weren't even "al dente." They just weren't cooked and were tougher than the meat. Dessert was a very tart and citrusy lemon cheesecake and a panna cote. Neither of which were very nice.

Day 8 - Swahili barbecue again. Starts again were excellant. For main I had lamb curry and seafood stew. The stew was stone cold and the calamari was rubbery. The lamb was so chewy most of it went in the sea. I find it incredible that the chef cannot even make a curry without the lamb being inedible.

Day 9 - Lamb chops. Very nice. Think we were early to dinner today so not reheated. Dessert cheesecake with passion fruit sauce. Again the chef did not hold back on the citrus. Very tart.

The soups were delicious. I had lobster bisque one evening which was one of the best soups I have had.

The house wine wasn't very good.

The free cocktails were only ok if you like copious amounts of lime juice.

We were given a knife and fork for our desserts. These included things like chocolate pudding with custard (served cold) and cheesecake with malibu sauce. We had to ask for a spoon every evening.

The diving was very good but they do not have pelagics. Sebastien and Marlene were very welcoming. The night dive was amazing and Filbert was very enthusiastic and really looked after us. They do not have Nitrox which is surprising (only need a cylinder of O2 - they've got 2 compressors) and the dive centre could be run more efficiently. What I mean by that is you say you want to go diving the night before. They prepare the kit and put it on the boat and then if you don't turn up its fine. Also if you do 6 dives you get a discount but don't have to prebook or commit to 6 dives. Great for us but not a very efficient way to run a profitable business. This is not the fault of the dive team.

We did complain a couple of times but when Ellis, the owner, told us people generally complain because they want something we didn't bother. Also when we did complain the duty manager just defended the chef. We did not think the chef was capable of producing better food therefore what is the point of complaining. Especially when the owner does not want to hear it.

So despite an amazing location and a wonderful manager (Liz) we were very disppointed that despite paying a lot of money to stay here the best food was a burger and chips and a club sandwich.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
I was so disappointed to read your review of your recent stay at Fundu Lagoon, and was surprised by your comments about me, especially considering that Liz and I managed to join yourself and your wife for dinner which was a very pleasant evening. One of the things I enjoy most during my visits to Fundu is meeting with our guests and hearing their feedback.

Both myself and the other owners and our management team take all guests’ comments very seriously. Our house keeping team visit each and every bungalow twice a day, so I was most surprised to hear of your complaints in this area. I have asked Liz for a full report on the matter, and we will take any action necessary, should it transpire that there has been a lapse in our usual high standard of cleanliness and bungalow maintenance.

As you know, we are situated in a remote area and surrounded by exotic wildlife. In all the years that we have been open, I don’t ever recall hearing about a crab managing to make its way into a shower. However, that is by no means to say that this cannot happen, as all creatures are resourceful when looking for water and cool places to hide in the searing heat, and open tents are probably a temptation too far for them.

Our house keeping policy is such that once a bungalow has been cleaned for the day and the refridgerator restocked, then our staff stay away until evening turndown, in order to provide maximum privacy for our guests. We could easily have dealt with all of your complaints about house keeping had we known about them at the time. In fact, when you did complain to us that there was a fault with the zipper on your tent, our in-house tailor mended it promptly and you even took the trouble to thank us for sorting it out for you as a result.

Neither of you mentioned that you were unhappy with the food and beverages on offer when we dined together, so I was obviously totally unaware of this. We are constantly working with our chefs on new menus and are always keen to improve on standards wherever possible. Our head chef has been made aware of your criticisms, and I will be following up on this on my next visit to the hotel.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your diving experience at Fundu, and that your wife also enjoyed her massage. I will make sure that your kind comments about our diving team and Liz are passed on to them.

Feedback from our clients is important to us, so thank you again for taking the trouble to write.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Fundu was the third and final destination of our honeymoon and we're so glad we spent our last five days there (not that the other two lodges - Pongwe and Ras Mbisi - weren't great either!). We were very lucky to meet one of the owners on the trip from the airport to the hotel and so learnt a great deal about the place before we arrived. When you first arrive in the boat at the jetty it's hard not to be blown away by how beautiful it is - a wide open beach, shallow turquoise water and a few huts hidden away amongst the trees on the beachfront. The best way to describe Fundu is a network of tree houses spread along the sea front. We stayed in one of the beachfront huts which looked straight out over the sea, had it's own terrace and steps down to sunbeds and what felt like our own private beach.

We took up the opportunity to take the canoes out for a paddle but didn't get very far as we realised the sea outside of the vicinity of the hotel is a bit choppy! We did however go snorkelling for a half day and really enjoyed it. We are not divers so didn't take up the opportunity to do this but snorkelling the reef was definitely recommended. Otherwise we were not the resort's most active occupants and sun-worshipped for most of our stay. The food was superb, some of the best we had in Zanzibar which is saying something after our stay at Pongwe beach resort where the food was very special indeed.

Fundu was a fabulous place to stay, the staff were extremely nice and helpful, and we would happily recommend to anyone. Even more so if you like monkeys!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your very kind review of Fundu Lagoon. I am so pleased that you chose to include Fundu as part of your honeymoon, and that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will make sure that your wonderful comments about the cuisine on offer are passed back to our chefs, as they will be as delighted to hear them, as I was to read them.

I’ve been snorkelling, but I’ve yet to get in one of the canoes and attempt kayaking, so you’re both ahead of me there! The sea outside of the immediate canoeing area can be a bit choppy at times as we are at the mercy of the tides which can be unpredictable.

I am very proud of the high standard of service that we offer to our guests, and I will make sure that your feedback is passed on to all of our staff. It was an absolute pleasure to travel in to Fundu with you and your wife, and I thoroughly enjoyed the time we spent chatting together. Congratulations to both of you on your recent marriage, and I hope that one day we’ll be able to welcome you back to Fundu Lagoon.

Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Fundu was beautiful. We stayed at the Jungle Suite, which was amazing and secluded. We had our own plunge pool, and a lounge and eating area, as well as the bedroom. There was ample room. In the suites you have walkie talkies to order lunch / dinner from the bar, which we loved after a long day's scuba. We selected the jungle suite especially for its privacy, but having been there, all the suites are set up in a way that makes them private, so a beach one would be just as secluded.

My favourite evening of the week was the barbecue held by the jetty bar. The barbecued shellfish was divine. Beautifully cooked and very tender. Definitely a highlight. It also had great touches such as the henna tattooing and the Swahili performers.

We were there off season, so there were evenings where the resort was very quiet - hardly a soul around. There were almost more options for dinner than there were guests.

The diving was great, mostly off a local island. You could choose from one or two dive trips each day, with a stop off to relax at Misali island.

The food was great - with options of eating at the main restaurant, or the pool bar. The restaurant served 3 or 4 options of starter, main and dessert, with Swahili options available each day. The pool bar was more club sandwiches, burgers and pasta, but the standard was really good.

Only grumble would be inconsistent service. I like to be welcomed warmly and referred to by name, but that didn't happen much, despite everyone knowing what your itinerary had been for the day. Also, we were tucked up in bed early most nights, but the couple of nights we did stay up and have a few drinks with other guests, we definitely felt like the bar staff wanted rid of us.
But I guess, with it being low season, they were trying to make the most of the peace and quiet.

I would definitely recommend the resort, and would heartily recommend the suites. The plunge pool in the room is bigger than I imagined, and it was great to be able to relax in the room, with a pool to break the heat every now and again.

Fab.

Room Tip: All the suites look great. The plunge pool are fab. The jungle suite is completely private. Spla...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your recent review of Fundu Lagoon. I am delighted that you both enjoyed your recent stay with us. The Jungle Suite is particularly private, and I am glad to read that you made the most of the dining-in facilities via your walkie talkies. Relaxing in a suite is a wonderful way to unwind after scuba diving all day long.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed Swahili night, and also the food options that are available at Fundu. I am sorry that you were unhappy that you were not referred to by name; 75% of our staff are from the 3 surrounding villages, but as English is not their first language, they are often confused by our names and hesitate about guessing in case they get it wrong. I can see how this might come across as being somewhat rude, and I think it is something that I will bring up at our next management meeting and discuss with other heads of departments. There probably wouldn’t be a problem if all the guests wore name badges!

We have different crowds of guests that come in to stay with us throughout the season – some are up for partying all night, and some want to be in bed by 2200. It’s sometimes hard for our staff to gauge who wants to do what, so I apologise if you felt misunderstood by the bar staff on occasion. It is a point that I will also raise with the head of our bar staff, so thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Feedback from our clients is always important to us; thank you again for taking the trouble and time to write your review.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We spent 4 nights at Fundu and had a great time.
Its located on a remote part of the island, where secluded. We had a beach hut, which enabled us direct access to the beach obiously. Right below our terrace we has 2 sunbeds and our "private segment" of the beach.
There are loads of activities: spa is great, my boyfriend went on a fishing trip, PADI certification, snorkeling.
Food was also delicious.
I would much rather recommend it than any other place on Zanzibar as it is really much greener, and really feels secluded and as much in the nature as possible.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
How very kind of you to write such a lovely review of Fundu Lagoon. Pemba Island is far greener that its sister island of Unguja as it is covered in coconut trees and beautiful jungle. I am delighted that you liked the ambience and seclusion of the resort.

I am proud of the high standard of service that we offer to our guests at Fundu Lagoon, and I will make sure that your kind comments about your enjoyment of the food on offer, and also your boyfriend’s fishing trip are passed on to our staff. They will be so pleased to hear your feedback.

Thank you again for taking the trouble and time to write your review. I very much hope that we will be able to welcome you back to Fundu at some future date.

c.c. Hannes Wolters (General Manager)

Been to Fundu Lagoon? Share your experiences!