“Beautiful” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fundu Lagoon

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pemba Island
Fundu Lagoon
You added Fundu Lagoon to your Saves list
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Wambaa Peninsula, Tanzania   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Pemba Island
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Beautiful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Fundu was beautiful. We stayed at the Jungle Suite, which was amazing and secluded. We had our own plunge pool, and a lounge and eating area, as well as the bedroom. There was ample room. In the suites you have walkie talkies to order lunch / dinner from the bar, which we loved after a long day's scuba. We selected the jungle suite especially for its privacy, but having been there, all the suites are set up in a way that makes them private, so a beach one would be just as secluded.

My favourite evening of the week was the barbecue held by the jetty bar. The barbecued shellfish was divine. Beautifully cooked and very tender. Definitely a highlight. It also had great touches such as the henna tattooing and the Swahili performers.

We were there off season, so there were evenings where the resort was very quiet - hardly a soul around. There were almost more options for dinner than there were guests.

The diving was great, mostly off a local island. You could choose from one or two dive trips each day, with a stop off to relax at Misali island.

The food was great - with options of eating at the main restaurant, or the pool bar. The restaurant served 3 or 4 options of starter, main and dessert, with Swahili options available each day. The pool bar was more club sandwiches, burgers and pasta, but the standard was really good.

Only grumble would be inconsistent service. I like to be welcomed warmly and referred to by name, but that didn't happen much, despite everyone knowing what your itinerary had been for the day. Also, we were tucked up in bed early most nights, but the couple of nights we did stay up and have a few drinks with other guests, we definitely felt like the bar staff wanted rid of us.
But I guess, with it being low season, they were trying to make the most of the peace and quiet.

I would definitely recommend the resort, and would heartily recommend the suites. The plunge pool in the room is bigger than I imagined, and it was great to be able to relax in the room, with a pool to break the heat every now and again.

Fab.

Room Tip: All the suites look great. The plunge pool are fab. The jungle suite is completely private. Spla...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
ellis f, Creative Director at Fundu Lagoon, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thank you so much for your recent review of Fundu Lagoon. I am delighted that you both enjoyed your recent stay with us. The Jungle Suite is particularly private, and I am glad to read that you made the most of the dining-in facilities via your walkie talkies. Relaxing in a suite is a wonderful way to unwind after scuba diving all day long.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed Swahili night, and also the food options that are available at Fundu. I am sorry that you were unhappy that you were not referred to by name; 75% of our staff are from the 3 surrounding villages, but as English is not their first language, they are often confused by our names and hesitate about guessing in case they get it wrong. I can see how this might come across as being somewhat rude, and I think it is something that I will bring up at our next management meeting and discuss with other heads of departments. There probably wouldn’t be a problem if all the guests wore name badges!

We have different crowds of guests that come in to stay with us throughout the season – some are up for partying all night, and some want to be in bed by 2200. It’s sometimes hard for our staff to gauge who wants to do what, so I apologise if you felt misunderstood by the bar staff on occasion. It is a point that I will also raise with the head of our bar staff, so thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Feedback from our clients is always important to us; thank you again for taking the trouble and time to write your review.

c.c. Hannes Wolters (General Manager)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We spent 4 nights at Fundu and had a great time.
Its located on a remote part of the island, where secluded. We had a beach hut, which enabled us direct access to the beach obiously. Right below our terrace we has 2 sunbeds and our "private segment" of the beach.
There are loads of activities: spa is great, my boyfriend went on a fishing trip, PADI certification, snorkeling.
Food was also delicious.
I would much rather recommend it than any other place on Zanzibar as it is really much greener, and really feels secluded and as much in the nature as possible.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
How very kind of you to write such a lovely review of Fundu Lagoon. Pemba Island is far greener that its sister island of Unguja as it is covered in coconut trees and beautiful jungle. I am delighted that you liked the ambience and seclusion of the resort.

I am proud of the high standard of service that we offer to our guests at Fundu Lagoon, and I will make sure that your kind comments about your enjoyment of the food on offer, and also your boyfriend’s fishing trip are passed on to our staff. They will be so pleased to hear your feedback.

Thank you again for taking the trouble and time to write your review. I very much hope that we will be able to welcome you back to Fundu at some future date.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Fundu Lagoon

Yes its a long way to get there - we were in Selous on safari so it was plane to Dar then plane to Zanzibar
before plane to Pemba then car to Mikoni and finally boat. We were in a hillside room so we then also had a
climb up a steep hill ( made me feel incredibly unfit ). We were met by Lisa when we arrived and were
guided along the jetty to the jetty bar for a refreshing drink before completing brief reception details
then being escorted to our room. The view was fantastic and our room/tent had everything we needed
and was very luxurious. We went back to the jetty bar to enjoy a cocktail while watching the
sunset - fantastic doesn't begin to describe the sunsets. Dinner was up by the pool the 1st night ( up
another big hill ) - not a huge selection but incredible but everything was very good. We also enjoyed dinner in the
main restaurant plus on the jetty unfortunately there was no beach bbq while we were there becuase of some
weather. The deserts especially were great.

We met up with the dive team on the 1st night and arranged to dive the next morning - a very
civilised 9am start ( after the 1st morning an even more civilised 9:15) - most of you kit is taken
to the boat and its just a case of putting your wetsuit on and walking along the jetty with mask & fins.
Its also best to take sunscreen/hat since even if just going for 1 dive you will stop off on Misali
for a drink & relax before returning to the hotel. If you are doing 2 dives then lunch/surface interval spent on Misali with
an 'picnic' lunch ( basically a selection of the hotel lunch cooled & in
tupperwares with a tabelcloth, proper cutlery & napkins ).
All the
diving was done off Misali while we were there and its the best coral we have ever ever encountered.

Fundu was a great experience and some of the design details are amazing - the holders for shower
gel/shampoo just at the right level for access. The 'drum for attention' sign & drum at reception particularly made me laugh. And of course all the staff are fantastic

We went to the pool on several afternoons and were often the only people there apart from staff ( & occaisionally the monkeys )
I can't recommend too highly

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your kind review of Fundu Lagoon. I was so pleased to read that you felt that your long journey to the resort was worth the effort and that you loved your hillside room and the ambience of the hotel itself. I would agree with you that Fundu is indeed a very good way to keep fit! When I was designing the interior of the hotel, I spent a lot of time working out every aspect of every item, so I was very touched by your remarks in that area, such as the shower/shampoo gel containers being at the right level. Glad that you liked the drum with its sign in reception – it entertains a lot of guests as you can imagine.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed the food and beverages that we have on offer at Fundu. I am sorry that you didn’t get to experience a beach barbeque during your stay – sometimes the weather just refuses to behave!

I will make sure that the dive team hear your feedback about having enjoyed your diving experiences with them so much. Misali Island is a conservation island so that corals on display there are very special. Over the years I’ve been to Misali several times, and I never tire of snorkelling around there.

Feedback from our clients is always important to us, so thank you again for taking the trouble and time to write your review. I will make sure that your kind comments about Liz and our staff are passed back to them, as they will be much appreciated.

Tanzania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

for those who like to enjoy crystal clear water beach with white powdery sands,
amazing dives and peace and quite, Fundu Lagoon is excellent spot.

bit remote from any other thing on the island - which can be an advantage as well.

the resort is definitely one of my favorites

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
ellis f, Creative Director at Fundu Lagoon, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thank you for your kind review of Fundu Lagoon. I am very pleased to read that the resort is now one of your favourites. Our location is indeed very special as we are surrounded by the most spectacular animals, rare birds and fish which are able to live with as little disturbance as possible alongside ourselves.

Feedback from our clients is important to us, so thank you again for taking the trouble to write.

USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

The boat ride in is just the first hint of the magical place that is called Fundu Lagoon. Hannes welcomed us at the pier with fresh juice and delighted us by confessing he had relocated us to an ocean front cabin. We promptly forgot the rest of the world existed for the next 5 days.

The management and staff at Fundu are unsurpassed. I cannot say enough about the willingness to make your stay relaxing and peaceful. The property layout, pools, restaurants and cabins are all top-notch. Even if you do not dive, schedule the trip over to Misali. The sunset cruise and themed dinners are just the right balance of adding activities while not feeling participation pressure. Received once of the best Thai massages ever in the spa. If dreams really do come true, I’ll be returning to Fundu one day.

Room Tip: At Fundu, all rooms are good. If you can manage, spring for the ocean fron.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
ellis f, Creative Director at Fundu Lagoon, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Thank you very much for your kind review of Fundu Lagoon. I will make sure that your kind comments about Hannes and the rest of our management team and staff are passed on to them. It is a great compliment to read that you both forgot the rest of the world existed during your 5 day stay with us. I have been travelling back and forth to Fundu for over 10 years now, and I would agree with you that it is a totally ‘magical’ place.

Feedback from our clients is always important to us, so thank you again for taking the trouble and time to write your review. I too very much hope that we will be able to welcome you back to Fundu at some future date.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

We stayed at Fundu Lagoon in September 2012 for the second part of our honeymoon. Wow! If you want to get away from it all this is the place. Stunning beach front villa with views of the sea when you wake up, a veranda, a plunge pool and an adjacent 'outdoor living room' with seats and tables and sun loungers. Tea and coffee in your room and no need to bring toiletries as plenty in the shower. They describe this place as barefoot luxury and it is exactly that, no need to dress up, no need for shoes apart from flip flops as all paths are sandy. If lying down in various places around the resort from the pool to the beach to next to the beach bar soaking up the sun gets too much there are plenty of activities to do. Friendly dive school and great reef with so many fish, snorkelling, kayaking (but save some energy for the way back as its not as smooth and a little bit tough!), jet skiing (so much fun, but gosh my arms ached like mad after!), boat trips. There is also a lovely spa, a little pricey but worth it for a heavenly massage. They take you on a complimentary sunset boat trip which is lovely with plenty of wine and snacks. Management and staff really attentive and friendly, made us feel so welcome. Dinner is in a different setting almost every night from the beach, the pool, the jetty, makes it really special. Perfect, was very hard to leave this place, keep doing what you guys are doing.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
ellis f, Creative Director at Fundu Lagoon, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Thank you very much for your kind review of Fundu Lagoon. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us so much, and that our soubriquet of ‘barefoot luxury’ lived up to its name. You certainly seem to have made the most of our amenities on offer, particularly with regard to water based activities. I am slightly confused about your reference to jet skiing though, as we do not have this on offer at Fundu as it is definitely not eco friendly and is also very noisy. However I still have kayaking left on my list to do, and when I finally get round to it, I’ll remember your comments and have one of those heavenly massages booked for immediately afterwards!

Congratulations to you both on your recent marriage, and hopefully one day we’ll be able to welcome you back to Fundu. In the meantime, we’ll keep on doing what we’re doing.

Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

A hidden paradise for couples. Tent Rooms are in the jungle but luxurious with all amenities. Hotel's sandy beach is all for you to relax or explore nearby villages on the beach. Management is very good, try to help anyway they can. They arranged a private plan from Pemba to Darulesalaam to catch our flight to home at the last day of our 5 day vacation.

one more note; at night close your tent tightly as "bush babies" swings from tree branches and occasionally from tent to tent!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your kind review of your recent stay at Fundu Lagoon. Your comments are very much appreciated as we try and accommodate our guests in every way possible at all times, so I was particularly pleased that our arrangements for your private ‘plane to Dar es Salaam fell into place for you.

Thank you also for your reminder to guests to make sure that their tents are closed at night - the cute bush babies can be very cheeky at times!

c.c. Hannes Wolters (General Manager)

Been to Fundu Lagoon? Share your experiences!