“The perfect way to relax after safari” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fundu Lagoon

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pemba Island
Fundu Lagoon
You added Fundu Lagoon to your Saves list
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Wambaa Peninsula, Tanzania   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Pemba Island
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“The perfect way to relax after safari”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Fundu Lagoon

Yes its a long way to get there - we were in Selous on safari so it was plane to Dar then plane to Zanzibar
before plane to Pemba then car to Mikoni and finally boat. We were in a hillside room so we then also had a
climb up a steep hill ( made me feel incredibly unfit ). We were met by Lisa when we arrived and were
guided along the jetty to the jetty bar for a refreshing drink before completing brief reception details
then being escorted to our room. The view was fantastic and our room/tent had everything we needed
and was very luxurious. We went back to the jetty bar to enjoy a cocktail while watching the
sunset - fantastic doesn't begin to describe the sunsets. Dinner was up by the pool the 1st night ( up
another big hill ) - not a huge selection but incredible but everything was very good. We also enjoyed dinner in the
main restaurant plus on the jetty unfortunately there was no beach bbq while we were there becuase of some
weather. The deserts especially were great.

We met up with the dive team on the 1st night and arranged to dive the next morning - a very
civilised 9am start ( after the 1st morning an even more civilised 9:15) - most of you kit is taken
to the boat and its just a case of putting your wetsuit on and walking along the jetty with mask & fins.
Its also best to take sunscreen/hat since even if just going for 1 dive you will stop off on Misali
for a drink & relax before returning to the hotel. If you are doing 2 dives then lunch/surface interval spent on Misali with
an 'picnic' lunch ( basically a selection of the hotel lunch cooled & in
tupperwares with a tabelcloth, proper cutlery & napkins ).
All the
diving was done off Misali while we were there and its the best coral we have ever ever encountered.

Fundu was a great experience and some of the design details are amazing - the holders for shower
gel/shampoo just at the right level for access. The 'drum for attention' sign & drum at reception particularly made me laugh. And of course all the staff are fantastic

We went to the pool on several afternoons and were often the only people there apart from staff ( & occaisionally the monkeys )
I can't recommend too highly

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
ellis f, Creative Director at Fundu Lagoon, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind review of Fundu Lagoon. I was so pleased to read that you felt that your long journey to the resort was worth the effort and that you loved your hillside room and the ambience of the hotel itself. I would agree with you that Fundu is indeed a very good way to keep fit! When I was designing the interior of the hotel, I spent a lot of time working out every aspect of every item, so I was very touched by your remarks in that area, such as the shower/shampoo gel containers being at the right level. Glad that you liked the drum with its sign in reception – it entertains a lot of guests as you can imagine.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed the food and beverages that we have on offer at Fundu. I am sorry that you didn’t get to experience a beach barbeque during your stay – sometimes the weather just refuses to behave!

I will make sure that the dive team hear your feedback about having enjoyed your diving experiences with them so much. Misali Island is a conservation island so that corals on display there are very special. Over the years I’ve been to Misali several times, and I never tire of snorkelling around there.

Feedback from our clients is always important to us, so thank you again for taking the trouble and time to write your review. I will make sure that your kind comments about Liz and our staff are passed back to them, as they will be much appreciated.

c.c. Hannes Wolters (General Manager)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Tanzania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

for those who like to enjoy crystal clear water beach with white powdery sands,
amazing dives and peace and quite, Fundu Lagoon is excellent spot.

bit remote from any other thing on the island - which can be an advantage as well.

the resort is definitely one of my favorites

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
ellis f, Creative Director at Fundu Lagoon, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thank you for your kind review of Fundu Lagoon. I am very pleased to read that the resort is now one of your favourites. Our location is indeed very special as we are surrounded by the most spectacular animals, rare birds and fish which are able to live with as little disturbance as possible alongside ourselves.

Feedback from our clients is important to us, so thank you again for taking the trouble to write.

USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

The boat ride in is just the first hint of the magical place that is called Fundu Lagoon. Hannes welcomed us at the pier with fresh juice and delighted us by confessing he had relocated us to an ocean front cabin. We promptly forgot the rest of the world existed for the next 5 days.

The management and staff at Fundu are unsurpassed. I cannot say enough about the willingness to make your stay relaxing and peaceful. The property layout, pools, restaurants and cabins are all top-notch. Even if you do not dive, schedule the trip over to Misali. The sunset cruise and themed dinners are just the right balance of adding activities while not feeling participation pressure. Received once of the best Thai massages ever in the spa. If dreams really do come true, I’ll be returning to Fundu one day.

Room Tip: At Fundu, all rooms are good. If you can manage, spring for the ocean fron.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
ellis f, Creative Director at Fundu Lagoon, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Thank you very much for your kind review of Fundu Lagoon. I will make sure that your kind comments about Hannes and the rest of our management team and staff are passed on to them. It is a great compliment to read that you both forgot the rest of the world existed during your 5 day stay with us. I have been travelling back and forth to Fundu for over 10 years now, and I would agree with you that it is a totally ‘magical’ place.

Feedback from our clients is always important to us, so thank you again for taking the trouble and time to write your review. I too very much hope that we will be able to welcome you back to Fundu at some future date.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

We stayed at Fundu Lagoon in September 2012 for the second part of our honeymoon. Wow! If you want to get away from it all this is the place. Stunning beach front villa with views of the sea when you wake up, a veranda, a plunge pool and an adjacent 'outdoor living room' with seats and tables and sun loungers. Tea and coffee in your room and no need to bring toiletries as plenty in the shower. They describe this place as barefoot luxury and it is exactly that, no need to dress up, no need for shoes apart from flip flops as all paths are sandy. If lying down in various places around the resort from the pool to the beach to next to the beach bar soaking up the sun gets too much there are plenty of activities to do. Friendly dive school and great reef with so many fish, snorkelling, kayaking (but save some energy for the way back as its not as smooth and a little bit tough!), jet skiing (so much fun, but gosh my arms ached like mad after!), boat trips. There is also a lovely spa, a little pricey but worth it for a heavenly massage. They take you on a complimentary sunset boat trip which is lovely with plenty of wine and snacks. Management and staff really attentive and friendly, made us feel so welcome. Dinner is in a different setting almost every night from the beach, the pool, the jetty, makes it really special. Perfect, was very hard to leave this place, keep doing what you guys are doing.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
ellis f, Creative Director at Fundu Lagoon, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Thank you very much for your kind review of Fundu Lagoon. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us so much, and that our soubriquet of ‘barefoot luxury’ lived up to its name. You certainly seem to have made the most of our amenities on offer, particularly with regard to water based activities. I am slightly confused about your reference to jet skiing though, as we do not have this on offer at Fundu as it is definitely not eco friendly and is also very noisy. However I still have kayaking left on my list to do, and when I finally get round to it, I’ll remember your comments and have one of those heavenly massages booked for immediately afterwards!

Congratulations to you both on your recent marriage, and hopefully one day we’ll be able to welcome you back to Fundu. In the meantime, we’ll keep on doing what we’re doing.

Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

A hidden paradise for couples. Tent Rooms are in the jungle but luxurious with all amenities. Hotel's sandy beach is all for you to relax or explore nearby villages on the beach. Management is very good, try to help anyway they can. They arranged a private plan from Pemba to Darulesalaam to catch our flight to home at the last day of our 5 day vacation.

one more note; at night close your tent tightly as "bush babies" swings from tree branches and occasionally from tent to tent!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your kind review of your recent stay at Fundu Lagoon. Your comments are very much appreciated as we try and accommodate our guests in every way possible at all times, so I was particularly pleased that our arrangements for your private ‘plane to Dar es Salaam fell into place for you.

Thank you also for your reminder to guests to make sure that their tents are closed at night - the cute bush babies can be very cheeky at times!

All Over
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

What an amazing ten days we spent here. This place the very definition of exquisite isolation. We stayed on a beach villa which was stunning. The food was fresh and delicious, the service attentive and friendly, there is simply nothing to fault at Pemba. You can read more at our blog post here:

Room Tip: The beach villas are hard to beat, the sea is merely meters from the door....
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your kind review of Fundu Lagoon. I printed off and read the blog that you posted during your stay – absolutely fascinating – I don’t ever recall reading about a guest before who has counted all 27 meals that they have had at the resort during their stay, but I’m glad that you enjoyed them!

I am so pleased that you both found Fundu such a haven to escape to from the frenetic pace of life that you both lead in your working lives back home. In fact Fundu exists purely because of that reason. I wanted to find a place to run away to from the 24 hour madness of life in London; however, what was originally going to be a house, turned into a hotel instead.

I was happy to read that all of the transportation arrangements to Fundu fell into place for you both, and that you were well looked after by our driver and speed boat staff. I was also very relieved to learn from your blog that your husband resisted the urge to throw open the emergency exit on the ‘plane – he just needs to take a few more flights on small seater ‘planes and he’ll get used to it, so please come back and visit us again.

Feedback from our clients is always important to us, so thank you again for your review; it is much appreciated.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

My husband and I chose Fundu lagoon on Pemba Island over other beautiful beach locations in Zanzibar with the help of our travel agents Imagine Africa as it is completely secluded with absolutely no chance of 'beach boys' or others trying to sell you anything. It's an amazingly constructed beach/jungle resort built with natural resources from the jungle itself, reached by boat only, with only a few small villages locally - the only people you'll see are the women walking across the beach at low tide to collect shellfish. There are only 18 'bungalows', so there'll never be more than 36 guests at any time, we were lucky with only 4 other couples staying during our week long stay.

The staff are friendly and relaxed, 70% employed from the island itself, greatly improving the quality of life for many of the island inhabitants. Fundu also created a project to build and maintain a school for the local villages, so staying there, while indulgent, also feels good as you know the profit is actually helping the locals and environment. Not many high end resorts can say that!

Our jungle suite was everything we hoped it would be - private, spacious, beautiful, we couldn't stop smiling for days looking around us!

We spent a lot of time relaxing around the suite but when we wanted to do something there was kayaking, a private trip to Misali Island to dive/snorkel and see Turtle Beach, dolphin and whale watching, massages and spa treatments, pool in the games room, a sunset cruise on a traditional dhow, and a walk into the local village to see the school Fundu helped to build.

The food was good, with a choice of the main restaurant and pool bar restaurant, with dinner often served on the jetty, as a beach bbq or private tables set up along the beach under a beautiful starry sky. Monkeys often pop up for a look at breakfast, and if you leave a banana out in the evening you might be lucky and see a bushbaby (you'll certainly hear them!).

Highly recommend staying here, especially if you can afford the jungle suite, we hope to be back one day!

Room Tip: The Jungle Suite is ideal for couples. Complete privacy; lots of different areas to relax/sunbathe/c...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
ellis f, Creative Director at Fundu Lagoon, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
Thank you for your wonderful review of Fundu Lagoon. I was delighted to read that you and your husband enjoyed your recent stay with us, and found that the relaxed and private ambience of the resort suited you both very well.

It is really helpful to us to read that you found the cuisine in our main and pool bar restaurants to your taste. I too always enjoy our jetty bar and beach barbeque dinners, and am glad that you both did too. I’m afraid that I have to chastise you slightly for your recommendation of leaving out fruit for the bushbabies, as we actively discourage guests from leaving out food for the local wildlife, no matter how strong the temptation may be. The bushbabies in particular, can be very swift and adept at raiding canapé trays during cocktail parties held at the swimming pool, although admittedly, it is extremely entertaining to see them run off standing upright on their hind legs clutching a chicken wrap or a crisp!!

I am so glad that you both enjoyed your accommodation in the Jungle Suite, and that it lived up to and excelled your expectations – that is really wonderful to hear. All of our suites are different, and every time I design a new one I am trying to second guess what possible extra touches I can add to make it extra special, so your comments in this area are really appreciated.

Thank you again for your review; all of us at Fundu look forward to being able to welcome you and your husband back to Fundu at some future date.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pemba Island
The Manta Resort
The Manta Resort
#2 of 5 in Pemba Island
4.5 of 5 stars 263 reviews
Pemba Lodge Ltd.
Pemba Lodge Ltd.
#1 of 1 in Kiweni (Shamiani)
4.5 of 5 stars 66 reviews
#36 of 145 in Zanzibar Island
4.5 of 5 stars 101 reviews
Kisiwa On The Beach Resort
Spice Island Hotel Resort Zanzibar

Been to Fundu Lagoon? Share your experiences!