“Tarzans Houses on the Beach!!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fundu Lagoon

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pemba Island
Fundu Lagoon
Save Saved
You added Fundu Lagoon to your Saves list
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Wambaa Peninsula, Tanzania   |
Special Offer
7 nights for 4
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Pemba Island
Stockton-on-Tees, England
“Tarzans Houses on the Beach!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

We arrived at Fundu after a fantastic Safari in Selous and were looking for a nice relaxing time. Fundu delivered – the rooms are great either on the beach or on the hillside – we had a beach room with a large decking area (where we had visits from the local monkeys and bush babies, which was really sweet).
We have travelled a lot, and shabby chic (it's websites tagline) really describes Fundu perfectly – it is a very relaxed place and if you are looking for formal dining and full on 5 star service Fundu may not be for you, don’t get me wrong the service was fine and all the staff were great in a very laid back and relaxed way, it just takes some getting used after staying at other hotels in the world.
We got into the swing of things very quickly, and although we had a few dodgy weather days the ambience of Fundu got hold of us.
The food was great, a good choice and something for everyone, we enjoyed lunch at the pool bar, and enjoyed the nights when dinner was served around the pool, it was really relaxing. The infinity pool overlooking the ocean is stunning. The Swahili night and the beach barbecue were also really nice.
It was my birthday whilst we were there and we arranged to visit Missalli Island for the day, Fundu packed us a picnic with a bottle of fizz and off we went.
Missalli is beautiful and an absolute must to visit, walk through the forest or along the beach to Turtle beach, as I have said we have travelled extensively but Turtle beach is the most beautiful we have ever seen and it was ours for the whole day, not another soul around, one of the most perfect days ever.
We also had our 20th Wedding anniversary at Fundu and the staff were great, they presented us with a cake whilst doing some Swahili dancing for us, which was good fun.
We had a great time at Fundu, thanks to all the staff who looked after us.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
FunduLagoon, Creative Director at Fundu Lagoon, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Thank you very much for your review of Fundu Lagoon. I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed the gentle and relaxed atmosphere of the resort, and I love the fact that we are such a contrast to formal 5 star hotels! The weather, as with anywhere in the world these days, can throw some unexpected rainy days into the mix, but I’m glad that this didn’t cause your enjoyment of the hotel to be impaired.

How wonderful to read that you celebrated not only your birthday, but also your 20th Wedding Anniversary during your stay at Fundu – belated Happy Birthday and Happy Anniversary. I’m glad that you’ve taken away happy memories of both occasions; Hannes can always be relied on to organise a decent party or two!

I will make sure that you kind comments are passed on to all of our staff. Feedback from our clients is important to us, so thank you again for taking the time and trouble to write – it is much appreciated.

c.c. Hannes Wolters (General Manager)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Qatif
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

We started our honeymoon with Fundu. And boy, it was a hell of a start. We loved the place, heart and soul. The resort is totally seamless from afar; intertwined with the surrounding beauty. Not a single piece of brick. We stayed 7 nights, and wanted to stay more. It was a true get-away from it all, a great time to relax and reflect. The therapy and remedy we needed after the wedding. We truly had the time of our lives in Fundu.

The rooms were very neat and clean, the staff were amazing and hospitable, food was great, massages were out of this world, and everything was just beautiful and perfect. No picture or review can give this place its full due.

We also had the privilege of visiting the surrounding villages, which are also supported by the resort. There’s this amazing energy in the place. The beauty and serenity are mind captivating. We felt love and kindness everywhere in and out of the resort. I made many friendships with the staff and had so many interesting conversations.

We also had the absolute pleasure of meeting Ellis, the founder and owner of the resort; a lovely, down-to-earth and nice lady. Hannes, the manager, is also a great guy who’s done an amazing job. Everybody in this place is just great and beautiful. A heaven for the free-spirited. Thank you for making our honeymoon special.

Much Love to Fundu!
Hassan & May

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
What a fantastic review of Fundu Lagoon – thank you so much! I am so pleased that May and yourself enjoyed your stay with us. As I mentioned to you at the time, I particularly look forward to meeting our guests during my visits to the resort throughout the year; it is also a very good opportunity to escape from my laptop in the office!

I am thrilled that Fundu made your honeymoon so special. I wish you a long and happy future life together, and look forward to our paths crossing again.

Mongolia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

A luxurious and stylish Robinson Crusoe hotel in a stunning setting complimented by a fun and professional staff that is overseen by an excellent management team.
Their understated village project is an inspiration.

Impossible to fault.

We have travelled extensively and have never been so determined to return

Room Tip: All the rooms/tents are gorgeous and have their own charm and amazing privacy. The hillside ones hav...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your very kind review of Fundu Lagoon. I must say that I am somewhat tempted to use your wonderful words of praise for the resort and our management team in our next marketing campaign! Your comments are truly appreciated.

I was most touched to read your remark about the village project. It is a going concern that is indeed close to my heart, and the generosity of Fundu’s guests over the years have also played a major part in contributing to the improvement of welfare for the villagers. Both Hannes and myself liaise closely with the village elders (75% of our staff come from the 3 villages adjacent to the resort), and are proud of the close relationship that we have with them.

I am delighted that you are both returning to visit us again – we look forward to welcoming you back.

Wolverhampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

This is a somewhat late review as our stay was coming up to a year ago, but what a fabulous place to spend part of your honeymoon. We had one of the luxury suites on the beach front and it was glorious waking up to the sound of the sea lapping at the shore. The food was very good and so was the service, everyone keen to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. We completed our PADI course with the fantastic instructors who certainly knew their stuff and were keen to share their knowledge. To sum up a fantastic, relaxing resort and I would certainly look to go back again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
FunduLagoon, Creative Director at Fundu Lagoon, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of Fundu Lagoon – I am always happy to read comments from guests who have enjoyed their stay at the resort, albeit late or otherwise!

Congratulations to you both on completing your PADI diving course during your holiday at Fundu. We would be delighted to welcome you both back again, and don’t forget that we have plenty more diving courses on offer too!

Buckinghamshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

We arrived at Pemba after a very tiring 7 day safari travelling around Tanzania.
We were met at the airport and told there was about an hour's drive to reach the docks before a short boat trip which would take us to Fundu Lagoon. On route we had a problem with the vehicle, however very quickly a second car arrived to continue the journey.

On arrival, we had a welcome drink and cool refreshing towel. We had a brief arrival chat and were shown to our tent. I say tent but it was a beautiful beachfront suite, i had upgraded our accomadation prior to our trip and it was definatly worth it. We had our own plunge pool and large beachfront decked sitting area with plenty of space in and out of the sun, steps leading down on to pristine beach of soft white sand.

The tent interior was comfortable and quite spacious, the only negative the ensuite bathroom was small and rather dark. The housekeeping staff kept the room clean and tidy, swept away the leaves from around the patio, and the main areas everyday, so that you could walk barefoot without having to worry about walking on anything unpleasant.
The resort was extremly quiet during our stay of 7 nights, a little too quiet for my liking as i like to meet other guests and chat. The staff ratio seriously outnumbered the guests!!

Food : Breakfast was good quite varied, served in the main dinning area overlooking the bay. Plenty of fresh fruit, and the usual breakfast fare.

Lunch: was also generally good, we always ate at the pool bar, the managerial staff always had lunch there too and came to chat, and check that all was ok.
It could have been down to lack of guests, however the speed at which meals were served varied greatly.
Dinner: They served dinner in a different location every evening we were there, which was quite nice. Unfortunaly dinner generally was the worst meal of the day, often the meat was very tough almost inedible. The vegetables were overcooked and varied little.
I do feel they need to up there game in the food area. As this is classed as 4/5 star resort, although the setting is beautiful the food lets them down. (Our final meal was lunch before we departed for our long journey back to UK, unfortunatly we both developed food poisoning after eating the Club Sandwitch. A very difficult trip back and several days of sickness followed)

The staff were very friendly, however there were only a handful of guests!

The setting is Idylic,the wildlife is amasing, We found it very relaxing, spent time chilling out, reading, watching the wildlife, taking photograhs. We went snorkling one day ( you have to take a boat to another island as the tide drops a good deal at Fundu) However the water was very rough, and shelved hugely giving rise to very deep dark water which i found off putting, not being a great swimmer.
There was little else to do on the island so i was glad we only did a half day there, on our return we did spot some dolphins.

Another day we took a canoe for a short paddle around the mangroves which was great, saw plenty of different sea birds and got a bit of exercise too. We also had the oppotunity to take a sunset trip on the dhow, which was lovely.

All in all a stunning resort, with friendly helpful staff, I would like to return at some point and hope that improvements are made in the catering department.

Room Tip: Beachfront suite with plunge pool
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your recent review of Fundu Lagoon. Our Makuti thatched tented rooms do surprise quite a lot of our guests, but favourably so, I am pleased to say. To ensure suitable levels of privacy for our guests, it is not really possible to add in extra windows in the bathrooms, but we are always looking at ways of improving our lighting systems, and I will take on board your comment about you feeling that your bathroom was a bit dark and compact.

As with any hotel, we can never predict with absolute certainty when the resort will be jam packed with people or less full. These days all hoteliers receive last minute cancellations and last minute bookings – for instance, at this moment whilst replying to your review, the hotel is now 75% full.

Being situated in a hot country, we have in place particularly rigorous and strict kitchen hygiene procedures that all our bar and kitchen staff must follow in all aspects of food preparation. I have checked with Hannes, and it appears that no one else who ordered the Club Sandwich on the day that you left became ill, but that it not to say that the Club Sandwich might not have been the cause of your illness. Please accept my apologies nonetheless – Hannes is currently carrying out a full investigation as to who prepared your Club Sandwich and he will take any appropriate action that is required as a result. I was also surprised to read that you did not enjoy your dinners with us – we are usually inundated with wonderful comments
about the high standard of cuisine that we have on offer at Fundu, but again, I will take your comments on board.

Food aside though, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and would like to return. We would be delighted to welcome you both back.

Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

We spent the last part of our honeymoon here after safari in Kenya, it is the most peaceful/tranquil holiday I have ever enjoyed, what a place...we had a suite on the beach with a magnificent view and great facilities. The food was excellent and the staff super friendly. Our tour operator www.toescapeto.com highly recommended this place for the diving/snorkelling, they were not wrong it is amazing! I loved the room service via walkie/talkie!! Many thanks to to escape to and the staff at Fundu Lagoon for making our honeymoon memorable!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
FunduLagoon, Creative Director at Fundu Lagoon, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Thank you for your very kind review of Fundu Lagoon. I am delighted that you enjoyed our ‘excellent’ food and found our staff ‘super friendly’. I will make sure that your comments are passed on to all of our staff, as they are always so pleased to hear that their performance has greatly contributed to guests having had a wonderful holiday with us.

Feedback from our clients is always important to us, so thank you again for taking the trouble and time to write your review. Congratulations to you both on your recent marriage – we would be delighted to welcome you both back to Fundu at a date in the future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012 via mobile

i dont want to say anything good about this place as i would love to keep it as my little secret haven and by letting everyone know how truly idylic it is would worry me that it would be spoiled in tbe future - please never expand it would spoilt it

• Stayed June 2012
Thank you so much for sharing your secret about Fundu Lagoon with everyone! Your comments are very much appreciated and please don’t worry, we will never turn the hotel into a sprawling high rise concrete creation, you have my word on that.

c.c. Hannes Wolters (General Manager)

Been to Fundu Lagoon? Share your experiences!