“A unique and extraordinary piece of paradise.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fundu Lagoon

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pemba Island
Fundu Lagoon
You added Fundu Lagoon to your Saves list
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Wambaa Peninsula, Tanzania   |
Special Offer
7 nights for 4
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Pemba Island
Mongolia
“A unique and extraordinary piece of paradise.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

A luxurious and stylish Robinson Crusoe hotel in a stunning setting complimented by a fun and professional staff that is overseen by an excellent management team.
Their understated village project is an inspiration.

Impossible to fault.

We have travelled extensively and have never been so determined to return

Room Tip: All the rooms/tents are gorgeous and have their own charm and amazing privacy. The hillside ones hav...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
FunduLagoon, Creative Director at Fundu Lagoon, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Thank you so much for your very kind review of Fundu Lagoon. I must say that I am somewhat tempted to use your wonderful words of praise for the resort and our management team in our next marketing campaign! Your comments are truly appreciated.

I was most touched to read your remark about the village project. It is a going concern that is indeed close to my heart, and the generosity of Fundu’s guests over the years have also played a major part in contributing to the improvement of welfare for the villagers. Both Hannes and myself liaise closely with the village elders (75% of our staff come from the 3 villages adjacent to the resort), and are proud of the close relationship that we have with them.

I am delighted that you are both returning to visit us again – we look forward to welcoming you back.

c.c. Hannes Wolters (General Manager)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Wolverhampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

This is a somewhat late review as our stay was coming up to a year ago, but what a fabulous place to spend part of your honeymoon. We had one of the luxury suites on the beach front and it was glorious waking up to the sound of the sea lapping at the shore. The food was very good and so was the service, everyone keen to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. We completed our PADI course with the fantastic instructors who certainly knew their stuff and were keen to share their knowledge. To sum up a fantastic, relaxing resort and I would certainly look to go back again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
FunduLagoon, Creative Director at Fundu Lagoon, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of Fundu Lagoon – I am always happy to read comments from guests who have enjoyed their stay at the resort, albeit late or otherwise!

Congratulations to you both on completing your PADI diving course during your holiday at Fundu. We would be delighted to welcome you both back again, and don’t forget that we have plenty more diving courses on offer too!

Buckinghamshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

We arrived at Pemba after a very tiring 7 day safari travelling around Tanzania.
We were met at the airport and told there was about an hour's drive to reach the docks before a short boat trip which would take us to Fundu Lagoon. On route we had a problem with the vehicle, however very quickly a second car arrived to continue the journey.

On arrival, we had a welcome drink and cool refreshing towel. We had a brief arrival chat and were shown to our tent. I say tent but it was a beautiful beachfront suite, i had upgraded our accomadation prior to our trip and it was definatly worth it. We had our own plunge pool and large beachfront decked sitting area with plenty of space in and out of the sun, steps leading down on to pristine beach of soft white sand.

The tent interior was comfortable and quite spacious, the only negative the ensuite bathroom was small and rather dark. The housekeeping staff kept the room clean and tidy, swept away the leaves from around the patio, and the main areas everyday, so that you could walk barefoot without having to worry about walking on anything unpleasant.
The resort was extremly quiet during our stay of 7 nights, a little too quiet for my liking as i like to meet other guests and chat. The staff ratio seriously outnumbered the guests!!

Food : Breakfast was good quite varied, served in the main dinning area overlooking the bay. Plenty of fresh fruit, and the usual breakfast fare.

Lunch: was also generally good, we always ate at the pool bar, the managerial staff always had lunch there too and came to chat, and check that all was ok.
It could have been down to lack of guests, however the speed at which meals were served varied greatly.
Dinner: They served dinner in a different location every evening we were there, which was quite nice. Unfortunaly dinner generally was the worst meal of the day, often the meat was very tough almost inedible. The vegetables were overcooked and varied little.
I do feel they need to up there game in the food area. As this is classed as 4/5 star resort, although the setting is beautiful the food lets them down. (Our final meal was lunch before we departed for our long journey back to UK, unfortunatly we both developed food poisoning after eating the Club Sandwitch. A very difficult trip back and several days of sickness followed)

The staff were very friendly, however there were only a handful of guests!

The setting is Idylic,the wildlife is amasing, We found it very relaxing, spent time chilling out, reading, watching the wildlife, taking photograhs. We went snorkling one day ( you have to take a boat to another island as the tide drops a good deal at Fundu) However the water was very rough, and shelved hugely giving rise to very deep dark water which i found off putting, not being a great swimmer.
There was little else to do on the island so i was glad we only did a half day there, on our return we did spot some dolphins.

Another day we took a canoe for a short paddle around the mangroves which was great, saw plenty of different sea birds and got a bit of exercise too. We also had the oppotunity to take a sunset trip on the dhow, which was lovely.

All in all a stunning resort, with friendly helpful staff, I would like to return at some point and hope that improvements are made in the catering department.

Room Tip: Beachfront suite with plunge pool
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your recent review of Fundu Lagoon. Our Makuti thatched tented rooms do surprise quite a lot of our guests, but favourably so, I am pleased to say. To ensure suitable levels of privacy for our guests, it is not really possible to add in extra windows in the bathrooms, but we are always looking at ways of improving our lighting systems, and I will take on board your comment about you feeling that your bathroom was a bit dark and compact.

As with any hotel, we can never predict with absolute certainty when the resort will be jam packed with people or less full. These days all hoteliers receive last minute cancellations and last minute bookings – for instance, at this moment whilst replying to your review, the hotel is now 75% full.

Being situated in a hot country, we have in place particularly rigorous and strict kitchen hygiene procedures that all our bar and kitchen staff must follow in all aspects of food preparation. I have checked with Hannes, and it appears that no one else who ordered the Club Sandwich on the day that you left became ill, but that it not to say that the Club Sandwich might not have been the cause of your illness. Please accept my apologies nonetheless – Hannes is currently carrying out a full investigation as to who prepared your Club Sandwich and he will take any appropriate action that is required as a result. I was also surprised to read that you did not enjoy your dinners with us – we are usually inundated with wonderful comments
about the high standard of cuisine that we have on offer at Fundu, but again, I will take your comments on board.

Food aside though, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and would like to return. We would be delighted to welcome you both back.

Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

We spent the last part of our honeymoon here after safari in Kenya, it is the most peaceful/tranquil holiday I have ever enjoyed, what a place...we had a suite on the beach with a magnificent view and great facilities. The food was excellent and the staff super friendly. Our tour operator www.toescapeto.com highly recommended this place for the diving/snorkelling, they were not wrong it is amazing! I loved the room service via walkie/talkie!! Many thanks to to escape to and the staff at Fundu Lagoon for making our honeymoon memorable!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
FunduLagoon, Creative Director at Fundu Lagoon, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Thank you for your very kind review of Fundu Lagoon. I am delighted that you enjoyed our ‘excellent’ food and found our staff ‘super friendly’. I will make sure that your comments are passed on to all of our staff, as they are always so pleased to hear that their performance has greatly contributed to guests having had a wonderful holiday with us.

Feedback from our clients is always important to us, so thank you again for taking the trouble and time to write your review. Congratulations to you both on your recent marriage – we would be delighted to welcome you both back to Fundu at a date in the future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012 via mobile

i dont want to say anything good about this place as i would love to keep it as my little secret haven and by letting everyone know how truly idylic it is would worry me that it would be spoiled in tbe future - please never expand it would spoilt it

• Stayed June 2012
Thank you so much for sharing your secret about Fundu Lagoon with everyone! Your comments are very much appreciated and please don’t worry, we will never turn the hotel into a sprawling high rise concrete creation, you have my word on that.

Newquay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

These are the only words I've found to describe this truly unique hotel! We were stunned at how lush, quirky, beautiful and luxurious but barefoot basic this wonderful place was. We came here on day 6 of our honeymoon after time at another beach resort and a 4-day Selous safari. Both those places were lovely too but nothing could have prepared us for what we found at Fundu.

We have both travelled a bit but can't usually afford expensive hotels. We saved and saved to be able to afford our honeymoon and to be honest barely got used to the level of service and luxury we had afforded. Reading some other reviews, it's clear any vaguely negative points about the accommodation "still basically being a tent" must be spoilt beyond belief to not fully appreciate the charm and style of Fundu. If you like big brass, marble-floored five star resorts with air conditioning and 60inch plasmas - ok, maybe not for you. Everyone else, you will feel trul yblessed to discover such a magical place!

The food was the best we had anywhere in Tanzania. Sweetcorn fritters and French toast at breakfast to die for! The inclusive wine is good and they quality of all foods really top notch. Plus, they would cook as many courses as you wanted. My husband has a big appetite on on more than one occasion, ordered his main again as it was so delicious. The dining room is stunning too.

We had an amazing welcome from all the staff. We had booked the hillside room but found we were upgraded to the jungle suite which was beyond our wildest dreams! We had our own pool and whole extra treehouse of accommodation. We loved the radio walky-talky for room service and little touches like the treasure-map style plan of the resort. When a few days later (we were there 6 nights in total - most amazing 6 days of any travel I have ever done) our pool ruptured a pipe and needed to be drained we thought, "well at least we now have to go and use the beautiful eternity pool at the top of the resort." We figured as we only booked a non-private pool hillside room, the fact our upgrade perk had failed wouldn't make any odds. It did. William informed us we would be moved if we wanted to a Beachside suite. The top level accommodation in whole resort. Err - yes please! I spent the first 30mins filming and photographing the amazing villa and location as well as our own private spot on the beach. It was great as seemed to make our stay at Fundu longer by staying at two different places. Jungle suite was so unique, I think I have a soft spot for it and if we are ever lucky enough to go back, I'd hope to book this.

Other thoughts: barman teaching us bao - thank you! We bought a board in Stone Town and have enjoyed teaching family and freinds back home. The free sunset dhow trip sailed into a mini rainstorm but was still memorable. Wishe we'd done the dolphin adn whale-watching trip as guests who went when we were there had whales frollicking around them and loads of dolphins! Kicked myself but we said no because was an extra expense when we had all the inclusive treats of the resort to enjoy. That was a mistake.

We had the beachside dinner and my husband had the lobster. He said he actually preferred the normal restaurent food they served each night at dinner...but was a beautiufl location. Unfortunately on our last night, the resort ws being served dinner on the beach with a barbecue but it was too windy. How brilliant thought that over 6 days, the team, make each dinner as unique and memorable as possible. Other nights, we had dinner by the poolside and we always had a wonderful table with a great view.

Going to end the review there as running out of adjectives and superlatives to describe this place.
I just hope one day to be able to go back! Thank you Fundu for the memories!
Hannes is a class manager!

Room Tip: Jungle suite for quirkyness but beachsite suite if you can afford!
, Creative Director at Fundu Lagoon, responded to this review, July 5, 2012
How very kind of you to write such a lovely review of Fundu Lagoon. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us during your recent honeymoon. We do try to upgrade our guests whenever possible and, private pool leaks aside (these things do unfortunately happen occasionally), how wonderful that you got to experience two suites as a result! It is tough to choose a favourite though as they’re all different, and even after so many visits over the past 10 years I still can’t quite decide which one I like the best myself!

I am very happy to hear that you both enjoyed the food and beverage menus on offer at the resort, and it is always a great compliment to our chefs to know that a guest has reordered another main course, having enjoyed it so much the first time round. What a shame that the wind picked up on your last night at the beach dinner; being perched on a peninsula we are slightly at the mercy of last minute weather changes, but hopefully you both still had an enjoyable evening.

Feedback from our clients is important to us, so thank you again for taking the trouble to write; it is much appreciated and as you can see at the foot of this letter, our ‘class manager’ is copied in too!

Congratulations to you both on your recent wedding and I wish you a long and happy marriage together, and look forward to welcoming you back to Fundu Lagoon at some future date.

Liege, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

The tented rooms are very nice with a private small pool over looking the sea. The hotel is integrated in the vegetation. Skin diving is organized by the hotel, after having ben diving the world, I have been very pleased with what I saw, surprising! Food is not very good, they have to make a big effort to improve level, especially that beach, diving, siesta is all there is, so food is very important to make you stay agreeable. Bar on the pier is relax for dinner cocktails. Visit the village nearby. Excellent transport by speed boat from main Island to Pemba.

Room Tip: Rooms over looking the sea is a MUST.
, Creative Director at Fundu Lagoon, responded to this review, July 5, 2012
Thank you for your recent review of Fundu Lagoon. I am pleased to hear that all of the transportation arrangements to our location fell into place for you, and that you were well looked after by our transport staff. I was particularly glad to read your comments on the hotel’s design, and that you appreciated the concept of the resort being as you quite rightly say, ‘integrated’ into the surrounding jungle. You clearly made full use of all the diving facilities that we have on offer which is wonderful; I must say that we are extremely fortunate in being surrounded by the most wonderful underwater wildlife, and I am delighted that you were surprised by seeing creatures that you had never ever seen before, in spite of being an experienced diver who has dived all over the world.

I was, however, saddened to hear that our menu was not to your taste. I am very proud of the high standard of cuisine that our chefs produce for our restaurant, pool and room service areas, and I can only apologise if you felt disappointed by the food on offer, but I trust that this did not spoil your holiday too much.

Thank you again for taking the time to write a review.

c.c. Hannes Wolters (General Manage

Been to Fundu Lagoon? Share your experiences!