“Master suite run down and over priced” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Glass House Gust House

Glass House Gust House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Port St Johns
Glass House Gust House
You added Glass House Gust House to your Saves list
Golf Course Road, Port St Johns, South Africa   |
“Master suite run down and over priced”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011

online booking misrepresents the master suite. Despite a nice location, the room is not worth R500 per person! A closed in verandah gives it a caravan like feel, blocked shower drain and mosquitoes at night all contributed to a fairly unpleasant stay. The room is adjacent to the kitchen, and we were woken up before 6am by kitchen noises, and stale oil smells lingered in the room all day! We checked out early!

• Stayed December 2011

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Cape Town
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

I visited Port St. Johns for the first time last week for the Sardine Run and stayed at the Glass House Guest Lodge. I was a little apprehensive given the reviews on this site, however, I wanted to make my own conclusions. The location of the lodge was also an appeal.

I wasn't disappointed. From every room, (I stayed in the Master Suite and then moved to a cabin), you have the best views in town! The gentle sound of the waves crashing on shore had me fast asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow. I would only awake when the sun rose which I could literally enjoy from the comforts of my bed!

I am not a dog-person and the thought of 9 (not 20) small dogs was not something I was looking forward to. However, by the end of my stay, I was contemplating curling up with one of the adorably beautiful Pomeranian fuzzballs! They are well-mannered and the owners are very efficient at tucking them away if guests are bothered. I never heard them yap except in greeting. They never woke me up with their barking and they never bothered me.

Finally, adding to my pleasant stay, Karen, Bill and Derek were extremely hospitable. They treated me like a family member and promptly attended to any needs that I had. The breakfasts were scrumptious and the dinners delectable! (They purchased fresh cray fish for me to try!!)

I highly recommend the Glass House Guest Lodge and will definitely go back there again.

Port St. Johns is an extremely picturesque town with plenty to do for nature-lovers, photographers, or water-sports enthusiasts. Plenty of great hikes, waterfalls, and cool restaurants in the area.

Room Tip: Cabins are cozy and quite, master suite is spacious and comfortable, but closer to main house. All r...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Johannesburg, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

I am certain there are far worse places in which to stay and perhaps The Glass House has improved but from my experience I don't recommend - there are other places in which to stay if in the area. I couldn't wait to leave and didn't enjoy my stay that much.

I would otherwise recommend to stay at Umzimvubu Retreat, just up the road from The Glass House or Umngazi which is amazing.
The restaurant at Umzimvubu Retreat is one of the best in Port St Johns.

I dislike giving a very negative review which partly accounts for my delayed review but I really can't give this establishment a four or five star review. I feel the owners could improve The Glass House in many ways. Hopefully they have implemented changes.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

It's a testament to the scariness of the road leading to Port St. Johns that we didn't turn right around and head back of town when we arrived at dusk. The whole town is grubby, trash-strewn, and rundown, and the Glass House Guest House is certainly no exception.

Our "log cabin" accommodation turned out to basically be a cheaply built wooden storage shed tucked away behind a few large water tanks. The ceilings were styrofoam, the linens were threadbare, and even though this was hot and mosquitoey January in the Eastern Cape -- no aircon.

Their attempts at "unpretentious luxury" (as billed on their web site) are laughable -- such as the fancifully folded towels that turned out to have saucer-sized holes in them.

But like the "Dog House" review, I have to say our main complaint was the noise created by the 20 (literally TWENTY!!) yappy Pomeranian dogs that run loose on the property. We had brought our dog with us, so were thrilled to have booked into a place that considered itself "dog-friendly", but this was over the top. The dogs were turned loose at 5AM and never stopped barking. We fled at 9AM, a full 24 hours early.

Don't bother with the Glass House, and maybe not even Port St. Johns in general. Admittedly, we didn't stick around long enough to get a full idea of the town, but 16 hours felt like MORE than enough.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2009

Having never been to the Wild Coast of South Africa ever before and having read a lot about it, we decided that I can hone my photography skills further in such a beautiful scenic location.
The guest house is reasonably well located, that is if you are brave enough to walk to and from town at night in particular. The place itself is completely run down, the electric gate does not work (we were advised that electrician was on his way to fix it - on further inspection the gate must have been out of order for a long time), the rooms were generally untidy, even a basic room can be clean and dusted. We were told by the owner that the windows had just been cleaned in the morning and that the state in which they were at our arrival at noon was natural...
Why did I call this review the dog house ? Let me tell you, the owners are operating a dog breeding business on the same premises and there are some 15 small dogs yapping around constantly, the evening and the night resulted in a real nuisance! Frankly, it is unacceptable to operate such a business without even making potential guests aware thereof, if you love dogs (in kennels) than this place maybe for you, but you need to love them a lot, as the constant barking resulted in us checking out early as it was not coducive to a romantic weekend. By the way a restaurant called The Fisheagle in the centre of Port St John's is well recommended, we had great seafood and pizzas, cool music and very friendly staff! We moved for one night to Mbotyi River Lodge instead, and had a great experience. Would certainly recommend it, only complaint was that we should have had more time and stay longer. I will write a separate review soon.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2009

These chalets are perched on a hill overlooking the ocean in Port St Johns. It takes 3 mins to walk to "first beach" from the chalet. The view is incredible, and we enjoyed the sunset over the ocean.

The rooms themselves, however, are a little drab, and could be cleaner. I think the owner is looking to sell the property, so perhaps less attention goes into them. The breakfast was mediocre at best, one of the worst I had in South Africa (where they were generally excellent).

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Glass House Gust House? Share your experiences!