“Not great” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Credo

Hotel Credo
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Butare
Hotel Credo
B.P 310, Butare, Rwanda   |
Ranked #3 of 3 hotels in Butare
Darwin, Australia
“Not great”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

This place seems very nice - rooms are roomy, price is OK, staff are very friendly. Unfortunately, so are the rats. I woke up to find one in my room rifling through my bag to get to a banana. Unimpressed.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo

12 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

We were put up there by the University during our visit on two occasions. It was okay except for the staff trying to shake us down for extra money (about $70.00) because I brought my wife. Breakfast is supposed to be included in the room although my wife had to pay. This is served on an outdoor patio where you can look at life going by on the street below. They have free Wifi

The rooms are very basic, there is a bathtub with no plug and so you have to sit down and hose yourself off. This arrangement is common in Rwanda.

They have a pool which is a little dirty, but we didn't catch anything there. It is not a bad place to sit and have a few beers.

The view from our room was spectacular as the hotel is perched on the side of a hill. Each room has a balcony.

You will get woken at 0500 by the nearby Mosque.

I would ask for one of the upper rooms as the lower rooms are noisier.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights in May. We didn't think the rooms were good value for the price, the bed linen and bathrooms were tired and grubby. The food was slow and uninspired, one ham and cheese sandwich was particularly vile. I recommend Hotel Ibis as the best spot in town for food.

The laundry service was extortionate, I had a few items that had to be washed so i decided to bite the bullet and get it done with them but the clothes came back wet as it had been raining and they refused to discount the service. So i had to pack wet clothes that went mouldy and had to be re-washed.

My biggest complaint is that, as my husband was in meetings during the day, I was often on my own in the room and had the disquieting experience that someone would often try and unlock our room door with a key throughout the day (not the maid as she'd already been and gone and i checked, it was't her). They would never knock, just try and enter and there was no one in the room next to us so it can't have been a confused guest, it must have been a member of staff. I felt very unsafe and had to keep our key locked in our side of the door to stop anyone else coming in. I complained repeatedly to reception but it continued. It never happened when my husband was in the room with me.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2010

i stayed in butare for a business trip in south of the thousand hills country , i reached there early and i took time to have a look in what supposed to be the best hotel in the region..... and finally me and my friends we ve choosen to stay in at least one hotel which got a swiming pool and look new and ather modern services, ather hotels were really terrible,,, some didnt even have proper bathrooms and athers were on the main road of the city .... to any one wondering to stay in that region plz dont fool u selves or let any body else fool u. just try by ur self to analyse the ather hotels and hav choose the convinent for u self.... tnk u

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Earth, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2009

This is a comparably cheap option to stay in Butare, as it costs you 30$ a room.

its quite a place - rooms are ok, clean, but noisy like hell and you hear every word everywhere in the hotel.

the best i thought is the piscine - swimming pool. but then i observed the quantities of chlorine they are putting in a day, - wow - i am glad i passed on it.

like everywhere, service is slow, and as there is a general lack of English - its kind of unfriendly when you do not speak French or the local dialect.

as others, i suggest Ibis as the best option.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — noise
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Kigali
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2009

We trusted guide-book reviews and stayed at this 'impeccably clean' hotel.

The bathroom was grim.

The mosquito net was not big enough for the bed.

The balcony overlooked a building site and a tin roof.

A few days later, we stayed at the Ibis Hotel, a few hundred metres down the road. Cheaper and infinitely nicer with the best restaurant service in Rwanda.

• Disliked — Wee on the toilet seat
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Credo? Share your experiences!