“Great hotel and great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Resort & Golf Club Lake Placid

You added Crowne Plaza Resort & Golf Club Lake Placid to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Resort & Golf Club Lake Placid
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   101 Olympic Drive, center of village, overlooking lake, Lake Placid, NY 12946   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #12 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
toronto
“Great hotel and great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2008

Stayed 2 nights at the Crowne Plaza and overall had a very good stay. Our room was very clean and comfortable. We needed a crib and they brought one to us almost immediately. The only downside to our room was that it was facing the pool, so if we looked out our window, all we saw was the pool. Not only did we miss the natural sunlight but it did get a bit noisy in the evening. Service at the breakfast buffet was great but the service in the bar area was not very good at all - I waited for so long for someone to just acknowledge me.

• Stayed September 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
elmira,ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2008

In a 4 day stay there is not 1 negative thing to report .Great service,linnens,very clean & the great room is wonderful.Very family & dog friendly ,suites and you can walk to everything.All at very fair prices

mass.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2008

The Crowne Plaza is an ok hotel. Just ok. The lobby is beautiful. It looks like the lobby and restaurant are new. But when we got our room it was just ok. It was in the older section. It was older a very standard hotel room. Missing screen to slider. Lighting was horrible. Bathroom was small. Just very regular!

• Liked — The lobby
  • Disliked — The old room.
boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2008

I recently stayed at the crowne plaza in Lake placid N.Y. in August 2008 and it was a woinderful stay. From the monent we checked in the staff was friendly and accomodating. We arrived ealy and much to our surprise we were allowed to check into our suite at 1p.m. Our accomodations were great with incredible views of the Mountains.... Very comfortable room with more space than we expected and My wife and son & I all slept wonderfully with "peaceful & quet surroundings." The breakfast buffet and the Great room were great places to eat with tastty food and spectacular views. We also used the shuttle to the beach, the putting green and even played tennis on their beautiful private court in a perfect setting. we were in lake placid for a family reunion and my brother stayed elsewhere and next year he said he was definitely going to stay at the Crowne Plaza.
RD
Boston,MA

Stayed August 2008
Rochester Area, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2008

This is a very nice hotel. It is on top of one of the bigger hills in the central Lake Placid village area, with a view of mirror lake and in the back, you get a view of the high peaks. It was very nice. The hotel has an older section that shows its age in areas but it is still a good hotel, with many renovations since I last stayed there many years back when the hotel used to be a Holiday Inn. The pool is the same, but very nice. Also, the breakfast area is nice, and the cost for the breakfast buffet which is pretty nice is around 10 dollars for an adult and 2 dollars cheaper of children 10 and under. They also have a main lobby/dinner & casual bar area, which resembles old lodge looking houses that are found in the country side. They had brown leather and furry surfaces, with cherry wood everywhere (I'm almost 100% sure the fur is fake). The front desk staff were very nice and answered all our questions very well. On the day we checked out, we were running a bit late and asked the front desk if we could have an extension to eat break fast and also go back and gather our belongings. The man said "take as long as you need." Also, since the hotel's boat house (across mirror lake from the hotel, 10 minute drive from it, they even have a free shuttle to it) opens at 11am, and we wanted to go there before our 6 hour drive back to Rochester, NY, he gave us a key card to show the personnel at the boat house that we were guests, and we didn't have to return the room key.

We stayed in room 332, a double queen room. The room had a standard 32' tube TV, a small, but nice balcony with a beautiful view of the mountains (it was 20 dollars extra to see the lake view, but the mountains were perfectly fine), 2 slightly firm, but comfortable beds, and some chairs and a small table. They also had a CD player/radio alarm clock for us as well. The bathroom was a little less impressive, with a faucet that spewed water if you turned the slightest bit (there's a trick to it). However, it did it's purpose and the water pressure was great. We came back to the hotel late one night, and decided to order out to Mike's pizzeria, located in the village of Lake Placid, and they deliver free to your room (of course, you may need to tip the delivery guy). The food was very good from there.

One word of slight caution: The hotel on their website mostly has photos of their renovated addition portion of the hotel, which looks VERY nice, and I talked to someone who stayed in that section, and those were the very nice rooms, of which they paid 300 dollars (we payed 169$).

One other GREAT thing about this hotel is that they are dog friendly! (it might be bad for you if you are allergic though). We brought our dog, a 70 lb. Alaskan Malamute to the hotel and we could let her stay in our room (for an additional $10 per night and with the condition that we wouldn't leave her alone in the room, which is completely understandable). This was the first hotel that I've seen where I've seen heavier than 50lbs. dogs around. I saw at least 15 different dogs during my stay inside the hotel (although, none I saw went into the actual lobby area).

If you are worried about allergies though, our room was spotlessly clean when we entered, and we didn't notice if any dog was in the room before us or not.

Over all, a great hotel, that you should definitely consider for your stay in Lake Placid (although a bit overly expensive, it's worth the splurge!).

• Liked — Room was nicely appointed with features, balcony, bathroom, restaurant breakfast, lobby area, and pool.
  • Disliked — Beds could be a bit more comfortable, TV could be upgraded to LCD soon too.
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Kingston, ON
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2008

After much searching and comparison on-line for places to stay on a recent driving vacation, my husband and I chose this hotel. We were looking for somewhere nicer than your average motel accommodation for at least one night of our trip; as it styles itself as a Resort - and the web-site did look nice - we thought the Crowne Plaza would fit the bill.
It is a nice enough hotel, well maintained, clean, with friendly staff. And the views are certainly lovely. But I was somewhat disappointed overall, didn't find it to be any better than many other hotels we've stayed in over the years, and certainly wouldn't classify it as a "resort".
We had a mountain view King room on the 4th floor. The room was clean and comfortable, albeit a tad narrow, with a small but accessible balcony. Overall, a nicely appointed room, with a large comfortable bed, and including a large dresser/TV stand that cleverly hid the microwave and bar fridge. The aromatherapy package was a nice touch, as was the sleep CD, player, and ear plugs. Which we would have needed if we had not already been so tired, the walls seemed very thin and sound carried clearly. Luckily it was mid-week and there weren't a lot of younger children; we only heard a few stray shrieks towards bedtime, and only 1 woof from a dog around mid-night, quickly hushed. (We did like the dog-friendly atmosphere, by the way; having left our own three monsters at home, we were missing them terribly.)
The bathroom was fairly spacious with a nice marble vanity and wide mirror, plenty of fluffy towels, hair dryer, coffee maker, bath supplies, etc. However, we did find the shower to be on the small side, with dated fixtures. Trying to figure out the shower controls without my glasses was impossible and it took both my husband and myself a few minutes to accomplish. The showerhead didn't adjust - no pulsating massage, alas - and negotiating around the safety bar on the wall to try to fit under the spray was a bit difficult. And there was no fitting myself into the smallish tub for a soak.
But what we found most disappointing was the health club section. We were expecting a much more luxurious atmosphere to relax in after a long day's drive. The photos on the web-site are somewhat misleading. The pool area is tired and past it's prime, the pool itself in need of repairs and the hot-tub smallish and shallow. There's no change room or showers, necessitating walking back to your room in your wet bathing suit and showering in your room. Worse, the hotel's late check-in and early check-out time (4:00 pm / 11:00 am) combined with the shortened pool hours (9:00 am to 9:30 pm) made it all the more difficult to fit in even a quick swim / soak. By the time you've checked in, figured out the layout of the hotel, settled into your room, changed, and then found someplace for dinner (we opted to eat down the hill at a restaurant in town rather than one of the two on-site), we were hard pressed to fit in a quick visit to the pool. Trying to fit in a visit in the morning around packing up, breakfast, and showering before checking out was impossible.
So, overall, a nice-enough hotel. But certainly not what we consider to be "resort" quality. We're especially glad we managed to find an on-line early booking deal; if we'd paid full price we would have been drastically more disappointed.

• Liked — View, location
  • Disliked — Value for money
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2008

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza in Lake Placid for two nights (18-20Aug2008) in the family suite at $309.00 per night. This family suite was two very small rooms with one king bed and two full beds. We decided to splurge on our hotel so that we could stay at a reliable hotel chain that we thought would be clean and well maintained. This hotel allows dogs and I am a dog owner and lover so this was OK with me. (We did not have our dog with us on this trip.) Unfortunately, I found that although they allow dogs, they do not sanitize the rooms after an animal has stayed at this hotel nor do they dedicate an area of the hotel for guests with animals.

On our second day, we noticed dried up dog poop under the table – NO KIDDING – just disgusting! This dog poop had been there for some time – missed by the maid for probably a week or more. When we called the front desk to alert them of the situation, they did come up immediately to clean up the mess. They advised me that the general manager was out to dinner and would call us when he returns. We never did receive a call from the manager so the next morning I called to speak to him. The manager on duty had advised me that the general manager was not in until 1 PM, however, they were aware of the dog poop situation from the prior night but did not know he needed to call me. As you can imagine, I was extremely frustrated with this general manager that thought it was perfectly acceptable for us to find dog poop in the room and to not follow up with a phone call. I expected a call of apology and perhaps offer a different room for the rest of our stay or offer some way to make up for this mess – a free breakfast – just something.

The manager on duty finally offered a $100 credit to my room which I thought was too late and too little. The manager then offered to call the general manager at home. I expected a call from the general manager but the manager on duty called me back and offered me ½ off the rate of one night ($155). I wasn’t looking for money but rather assurance that the general manager had taken the issue seriously and to call me back in person to apologize. This never happened.

I did ask the manager what their clean up policy was after a dog stay. I was told that they do a “heavy vacuum”. They do not check the room with a black light (where you find dog poop you will find dog pee) nor do they sanitize the room in any way. I’m shocked at this lack of cleanliness from a large hotel chain.

In addition to the dog mess we found, the air conditioner dripped all night long and the carpet in one room was soaked in water. The hotel itself was your typical hotel with an amazing view of Lake Placid and Whiteface Mountain. If you do stay here, make sure you get a room with a view and get up to see the sun rise over Whiteface – just incredible. The “sleep advantage” bedding was OK but not as nice as the Marriott or other chains I’ve stayed at. I use trip advisor all the time to help me make my decisions on where I’ll stay – if I’d known about their lack of cleanliness, I would have spent my $300+/night elsewhere.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — dog poop in the room and lack of service
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Crowne Plaza Resort & Golf Club Lake Placid? Share your experiences!