“Excellent accommidations” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Gloversville, New York
“Excellent accommidations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

My girlfriend and I stayed here last fall and absolutely fell in love with the place. We decided to return this Summer for a weekend getaway with our 8 year old daughter. The owner,Denise,is so genuine and sweet. She is far beyond pleasant,as is her Inn. She gave us a good rate on a room that usually is a 3 day minimum for our two day stay. We didn't want to stay anywhere else and Denise helped us out so much. I highly recommend Placid Bay Inn to anyone looking for a very quiet,clean,pleasant,affordable place to stay while in Lake Placid.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Northern New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

We stayed here 4th of July weekend in 2010 - the room had a small kitchen area with a 2 burner stove, micro, fridge, etc. - for us, we it was perfect for cooking breakfast and lunch and saving some bucks. The owners and staff are very friendly and helpful. It was clean and spacious and we really felt like home away from home for 5 days. the only downside for me was that the beds were a little firm - some people like that though. Other than that, it was fantasic, especially at the price.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Watertown, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2010

This quaint modern cottage (The Mallard) nestled on the lakeshore is a great way to escape, even though it's located right in Lake Placid. Accomodations include a TV, microwave, 2 burner stove top, gas fireplace, two bedrooms located upstairs, modern bathroom, a porch that looks at the lake, a comfortable living room. The host (Denise) and her family are "down to earth" and very hospitable. A memorable weekend spent looking up at beautiful Whiteface Mountain in the distance. The heart of Lake Placid is a quick drive away. The high peaks of the Adirondacks beckon those with an adventurous spirit. This is a great place for a "getaway" or to bring the family.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2010

I can't say enough about this place. The location is great - the front is on the main street with access in minutes to a drug store and grocery store. The town is very close with lovely shops and great restaurants. The backyard of this place is like you stepped out of the hustle bustle and into a peaceful paradise. We stayed in the Mallard cottage which is just beautiful and incredibly clean. This cottage is perfect for two. The view from the back porch is all you could ask for - sitting on the water with Whiteface mountain as the backdrop - amazing!!. The service is that from days gone by - what we all wish still existed today. Denise is truly concerned that you have a wonderful stay and goes out of her way to make sure you are happy. I have never written a review before on anything but this place deserves to be talked about. If you are planning a trip to Lake Placid - this is a perfect place to stay. We got engaged on this trip and I couldn't have asked for a more beautiful setting - I will remember it forever. We will be back for sure.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Manchester, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2010

I have stayed athe Plaicd Bay Inn three times a year for more than ten years, and have had a great experience every time. Denise is a warm, cordial host. She remembers me from visit to visit. SHe keeps up on the latest changes in town, especially restaurants, and makes solid recommendations.

The rooms are clean, comfortable, and the right temperature whether I come in May or December. They are doing some upgrading and refreshing of the rooms right now and they are even better.

I have also brought friends with me, and they have found theier accomodations very good as well.

I should add that I am a Choice Hotels member, and that there is a Comfort Inn down the street, but I prefer to stay at Placid Bay because the congeniality is much better. I am not treated as a number.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Apalachin, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2010

After my experience honestly 1 point is pushing it. My husband and I booked this place for our one year anniversary. What attracted me to it was the fact that it looked different than the other hotels, offered a "lake view", and also offered a wine and cheese basket at an additional cost. I called and reserved. I was told that there was a possibility of renovations at the time we were coming so our room might have to be changed. I was told that we would still have a lake view and a queen size bed. When we arrived the renovations were still in place and the establishment looked really run down. Online it did not look this way. For $125 a night ($340 total for the weekend with our wine basket) I was dissapointed to say the least. We decided to try it anyway. We went in, paid for our room, and went upstairs. The room was terrible! It smelled like moth balls, had 2 double beds, and our "lake view" was a chimney. I am not one to complain but this place was rediculous minus the wine basket which was nice. When my husband and I went downstairs we were told that only 1 of our nights would be refunded (at $116) due to the confirmation agreement. The agreement did state that if we did not cancel within 14 days we would be responsible for our entire stay but considering the extreame false advertisement and the unsatisfaction I was expecting a refund for both nights ($240). The deposit I was prepared to loose. The lady was extreamly rude and not helpful. She refused to refund us for more than the one night and said some pretty off the wall things. She stated that if we trashed the room she would call the police which was never insinuated by my husband or I. We were both extreamly offended and would never book or recommend this establishment to anyone. It was equivilent to a $35 a night truck stop. We ended up taking our $116 and paying for another place to stay.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
sunintree, Owner at Placid Bay Inn, responded to this review, April 28, 2010
Our family has owned and operated Placid Bay Inn for over 30 years, and we are saddened that this young couple feel as they do, but that was no reason to tell several untruths in their review. The young lady states that they paid $120 per night for the room. This is incorrect. Her original room was $120 per night, but since we were not able to provide this accommodation because we are doing major renovations and upgrades, we gave them a discounted rate of $105 per night. When she called to make a reservation, she was told that we had construction going on and that the Deluxe Suite may not be available but we would have a Lakeside room with 2 double beds. I guess she does not remember what we had discussed on the telephone, or possibly did not hear me correctly. We do not promise or confirm accommodations we do not have available. Placid Bay wants our customers to be happy so they will stay with us the next time they travel to Lake Placid. We charged them for only a one night stay, plus tax (which we must collect and pay by law), and the cost of the package which they kept. We subtracted their deposit and refunded everything else in full.
The package price is based on a 2 day stay, and has a retail price of $185, but we sold it to them for $95. The package they received is an old fashioned wicker basket, with wine glasses, cork screw, cutting board, cheese knife, container for left overs, and table cloth with napkins. We then fill the basket with an assortment of fine cheese, gourmet crackers, grapes and a complimentary bottle of NY award winning wine. The basket alone sells for $95 in downtown Lake Placid.

The day this couple arrived it was raining and overcast. This kind of weather does not make for the best views. The lakeside room that they were given does have a stone fireplace chimney that you can see, but the rest of the view is of Paradox Bay, the forested shore across the bay and beautiful views of Whiteface Mountain. You can even see the Meganzer and Mallard ducks swimming by from this room.

The young lady compares our Inn to a $35 truck stop, run down, etc. I feel these comments are unfair and untrue. We have photos taken of both our rooms, and grounds on our web site. The photos do not even reflect many of the renovations/upgrades that have already been completed. We work very hard to keep our place clean and tidy even though we are in the middle of construction, during the off-season.

The couple's first complaint to me was that they wanted to be closer to downtown, and they had friends staying in town, and wanted to stay near them. I don't know if this is the reason that they wanted to leave. I'm very sorry that they feel as they do, but we did everything we could as a business to accommodate them. I was polite and calm, and tried my best to explain all the facts to them. I sincerely hope that they were able to enjoy the romantic picnic basket, and that they will have it for many happy years of marriage.

Denise, Owner of Placid Bay Inn
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2010

A group of friends was staying at the Adirondak Loj, but I couldn't get a spot so was looking for something inexpensive and pleasant in Lake Placid. I stayed in a 2 doubles room, which was clean and comfortable. Even though my room was on the "highway side" of the building, there was still a nice view of mountains to the east.

What makes Placid Bay Inn stand out for me, though, is the service. From when I called to make the reservation to check in to just running into her in the parking lot, Denise was friendly and genuinely seemed to want to make sure that I had a good stay.

One hint: I was a bit worried about being on the west side of Lake Placid when I was doing things to the east. My GPS had me go west to Carolyn to cut over to Military Rd. This worked well for avoiding the traffic (such as it is) at busier times in Lake Placid.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo

Been to Placid Bay Inn? Share your experiences!