“Finally a good value in Lake Placid” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #16 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
Albany, New York
“Finally a good value in Lake Placid”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2010

What a great place! I've looked high and low to find a decent place to stay in Lake Placid. Over 10 years I think I've stayed in 5 places. None had as good a value as this place. The price was amazingly low, the jacuzzi was nice and the room was VERY clean and well-appointed. I will definitely be returning. The only caveat - if you don't have 4wd or AWD and are coming in winter, take note - you may need snow tires. The driveway is long and steep with a curve.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Albany NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2009

Stayed with teen en route to college visit. Check-in was efficient, but noticed the $1.50 in room safe charge. One needs to be procative at the end of the stay to remove it and I'm wondering how many thousands of dollars they get each year from people who forget about it or don't want to be bothered. We reserved a room poolside, up the hill in the newer building. The room was ok, tricked out in 1979 style furnishings and bed spreads. Bathroom was clean and so was the rest of the room for that matter. Did not notice any signs of pet smells or hair. The nice whirlpool and pool (with a real 9 foot deep end) were a sliding glass door away. Ate at the adjoining--and down the hill-- HOJOs--85 steps down and 85 steps up. Kitschy would be a word to describe the HOJO, but it served its purpose. Didn't seem to be many guests at the Comfort on a Friday night--that is until all 20 or so guests mobbed the breakfast at exactly 7am when it opened. That being said, the b'fast was of a decent quality and free. Loud people congregated in the common area near the pool outide of our room in the evening, but was able to sleep anyway. For a AAA rate of 71 bucks, It can't be beat.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
TheComfortInn, Marketing & Sales at Comfort Inn Lake Placid, responded to this review, December 20, 2009
AlbanyDave,

I appreciate your review of our hotel. Rather then adding the $1.50 safe charge to every room, we only add it to the room for guests who choose to use it. This is for insurance purposes, and every guest is asked at check out if they used the safe. The last thing we want is for guests to think its a hidden charge. We are glad you stayed with us and hope you stay again.

Jenn Penfold
Comfort Inn on Lake Placid
Syracuse,NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2009

Wish I had read the review from '1Travelerfrom' before staying at this Comfort Inn. We reserved ahead and were given a room ( 2 queen beds) around the corner from the office. The room was clean, but dated. The walls were very thin....other room television noise...highway traffic...etc. Not a great nights sleep.
Breakfast area was in a separate building up a rather steep hill. Wouldn't care to do it in the winter months.
Breakfast was very good and the building held a number of rooms along with the pool. It appeared to be a newer facility. It's not the first time that I felt requesting an AARP discount allowed the management to provide one of their least desirable rooms.
Would not stay here again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
TheComfortInn, Owner at Comfort Inn Lake Placid, responded to this review, February 8, 2010
At time of reservation, whether it is on the interenet or on the phone, you should have been asked if you would like to be in the main building or the motor lodge near the road. I apologize for the inconvenience of being in the roadside building. If there were rooms available in the main building, we would have been happy to move you there. Having AARP has nothing to do with where your room is, that is simply a discount in the price.
WNY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

We arrived on Friday at 2pm. When we checked in we were directed to a Lakeside Cabin. I had specified in my comments when reserving (in early July) that I wanted an upper room in the newer part of the hotel. They put us in a Lakeside room(?) that reminded me of a cabin in a state park. Tile floors, no wall to wall carpet, wood interior, very dated. Smelled horrible (pets?). We went back to checkin and asked for a room in the new part of the hotel where the pool and breakfast area are. Kristen said they were all booked and she couldnt move us there. She moved us up to the second floor Lakeside room, that was just like the lower one only with wall to wall carpet. It wa just so old. Dirty spots on the rug. Smelled!
We went back to the checkin desk . Kristen insisted they were all booked up because of a large bus group coming in on Saturday. Only after I said I was going to send photos and a letter to AAA and Tripadvisor did she find a solution. She put one of the bus people in a suite and gave us a poolside room. The poolside room had a sliding door to the pool area, and was ok. The whole hotel is in need of redecorating and a good cleaning. I kept smeling dogs everytime we walked in the hotel door. My husband didn't smell it. He said they only put the dogs in the outside buildings. When we checked out, he asked the front desk clerk, and she said "All of our rooms are pet friendly". The poolside rooms are probably a ** hotel, if they can guarantee thats what room you will get. I don't think I would ever go back again for that reason. They say they don't see your comments until the day you arrive, and they cant guarantee any certain room. I have never been disappointed with a Comfort Inn, (and I have stayed at many) but this one has changed
my opinion for sure. Definately not up to the standars I expected from a Comfort Inn.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Northern New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2009

My family (with children ages 7, 13 and 15) traveled to Lake Placid for a quick overnight visit and could not have been more pleased with the accommodations of the Comfort Inn in Lake Placid. It was everything the description stated and more! Keeping in mind that this hotel is not in line with the Hilton or Marriott, this hotel exceeded my expectations of the more upscale "Choice" hotels.

The appears of the hotel as you drive up is very aesthetically appealing (which is a comfort in itself!). Our room was clean, nicely layed out and a comfortable size for a hotel room. The beds were comfortable and appealing for the overnight traveling with a small refrigerator and microwave for convenience. The hotel even offers complimentary use of a washer and dryer for their hotel guests.

We had a poolside room with an inside corridor access with a sliding door that opened into the courtyard of the 'tropical' indoor pool area. We could walk right out the slider to the pool/hot tub which was very convenient for a quick dip. Towels are available poolside. When I chose this room upon booking, I was somewhat concerned that the close proximity of this room to the pool might make the smell of chlorine evident in our hotel room - not a problem at all. You could NOT smell any chlorine.

The complimentary "continental" breakfast exceeded what I would consider a standard one - belgian waffles, a half dozen types of dry cereals, bagels, danish, english muffins, eggs, hot chocolate, coffee, tea, juices, fruit. It was wonderful and quite refreshing.

Yes, the walls are very thin, and we could hear the conversation of our neighbors VERY clearly - that could have also been due to the fact that we had a door that adjoined the two rooms which probably took away some of the soundproofing. We solved the problem somewhat by 'muffling' the conversation with a towel at the bottom of the door.

Overall, I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel; it was quite a pleasure staying at this hotel during our visit.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2009

I recently stayed at the Comfort Inn in Lake Placid and I enjoyed my stay. This is the only hotel I have stayed at in Lake Placid so I cannot compare it to others in the area but if I come back to the area I would stay here again. We got a great rate when we stayed.

I would reccomend that if you stay here to request a room in the main building. When we checked in we were given a room in the lower building, this meant we woiuld have had to walk up the road to the building with the pool, and breakfast. But we asked if we could switch and there was no problem.

The hotel has a nice large pool area and hot tub. The pool is open from 10am to 10pm everyday. Right next to the pool is the breakfast area. The breakfast was okay, basic selection with a waffle maker.

The Comfort Inn is located just off the main road in town. There is a McDonalds and Rite Aid across the street and a Price Chopper right down the road.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2009

This hotel was a very unexpected pleasure to stay at. We had planned to stay there only one night to go kayaking in the Lake Placid area. I had a limited budget and was also traveling with my dog.

We ended up staying four nights and never went bothered going to our other intended destination.

If you are taking your own kayaks or canoes with you, this is a great spot, because the hotel is on a small cove on Lake Placid. So you can either stay in the cove or go out onto the lake. There is a small hill you have to go down to get your kayaks in, but it's well worth it. However, there is no beach area to go swimming.

But, it was great because we could kayak and then go right back to the room if we needed. There are also several picnic tables and lounge chairs near the water, which made it great to go kayaking, come back and make a sandwich for lunch and then go back out - all without having to get in the car and drive a bunch of places.

They have a free breakfast that has the make-it-yourself waffles and other good items that definitely saved us money instead of going out every morning.

If you don't mind walking, you can walk into the village of Lake Placid, but it's also just a 3 minute drive. It's not a 5-star resort, but it's a good, clean, up-to-date place to stay and for the price and location, it's well worth it.

Would absolutely stay here again!

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family

Been to Comfort Inn Lake Placid? Share your experiences!